Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

i just happen to be in zip 60173. I had15% oil life wrench pop up with a B1 service code on my 2014 CRV. I took it to the dealer. And the service writer, let's call him "dave", said I need to get the wheels balanced. A total of $190, and oh, the tire rotation is free. I asked him why do I need wheel balancing. He said, when the B pops up, it means wheel balancing. The "A" code is just oil change. And the '1" is tire rotation. No other dealer in the past five years ever said the B code means wheel balancing. I declined and just had the oil change and tire rotation done.

Did Honda change their MM codes? Does B now mean wheel balancing?
I want to make sure I am getting the right service done. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My 2014 Owners Manual has the Maintenance Minder codes on Page 274.

B code (A is just oil change):
● Replace engine oil and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSA)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system#
● Inspect fuel lines and connections#

Subcode 1 = rotate tires (not balance)

And I don't see any combination of codes that says "balance the tires".

The Service Writer makes more money for the dealership by selling you services you don't necessarily need. And I have to say that I believe most people just say "Okay, do it".

When I get the wrench displaying I check the codes, write them down, then confirm in the Owners Manual what needs to be done before I ever contact the dealer to schedule an appointment. I also print out a list of what I want them to do, and tell them nothing else needs to be done - actually I print two copies, and make sure the person that meets me at my CR-V when I pull in gets a copy of the list, and knows that I also have a copy (in case they "lose" their copy).

And yet, almost every time they come into the waiting area and try to sell me something I didn't ask for. One recent service visit he came in with a plastic card that had two spots of transmission fluid on it. One was bright red fluid that was obviously out of a new bottle, and the second spot was pinkish but had a brownish cast to it. A subcode 3 is change transmission fluid, which wasn't one of the codes I had on that visit. So I declined, and again told him to only do the services I had requested on the list I gave him.

The Service Department is there to sell services, not help you save money while maintaining your vehicle to the standards that Honda recommends.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You only need wheel/tire balancing when you experience shake on the steering while driving on highway speed. Otherwise wheel/tire rotation at x miles.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
You were experiencing an attempt at an "upsell" on maintenance. As noted by racoon, there is not "balance tires" on the maintenance code list of the MM.

No harm in the dealer politely trying, and absolutely no harm in you politely declining. If they get testy and insistent about it though... I would pick a different dealer.. and probably lodge a complaint directly to Honda.

The dealer I use for maintenance never tries this, and in fact works very hard to make sure you are fully satisfied when you leave..... because they know Honda Corporate will be sending you a quality of service survey and it appears that at least for my dealer both the service consultants, the service personnel, and the management are dinged in some way by Honda when they receive bad feedback from an owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always get the B1 code. Tire rotation, check all hose and valves, and engine oil/filter change. Looks like he's upselling you some services that you probably don't need unless you're doing the inspection yourself.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. It's good to know Honda did not change the meaning of "B" service code.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hello everyone.

i just happen to be in zip 60173. I had15% oil life wrench pop up with a B1 service code on my 2014 CRV. I took it to the dealer. And the service writer, let's call him "dave", said I need to get the wheels balanced. A total of $190, and oh, the tire rotation is free. I asked him why do I need wheel balancing. He said, when the B pops up, it means wheel balancing. The "A" code is just oil change. And the '1" is tire rotation. No other dealer in the past five years ever said the B code means wheel balancing. I declined and just had the oil change and tire rotation done.

Did Honda change their MM codes? Does B now mean wheel balancing?
I want to make sure I am getting the right service done. Thanks.
What a rip off. If you can find another dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts