Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, I was unfortunately persuaded by dealer to get the Honda Care when signing papers. Now I don't feel as bad because I think the Honda doesn't have a good electronic system and it may not survive as long as the drivetrain. The screen is a bit slow and lack some handy features. (I'm skipping lots of other things I like here)

Yesterday I received a booklet of Honda Care and there is one point bothers me which states proof of proper maintenance required for repair coverage.

Now I'm not very handy since I don't even change oil or rotate tires myself. But I do change the cabin air filter and engine air filter on my old car because both are very easy jobs and every mechanics charge way too much for it.

So my question is as titled. Anyone with this experience before on earlier Hondas? What will my proof of maintenance be, filter's purchase order?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Will it void your warranty. No
However if say you put the wrong one in and something gets sucked into the engine ... then they would void something (if they wanted)
They have to prove that the modification/change resulted in damage.

Change away.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Document the filter changes with receipts and marks with date of change on the filter itself. I do that on many things like home LED bulbs and furnace filters and it is amazing how many warranty claims I make. My record is 3 claims in one day worth about $140. They can insist you have the maintenance done but it is illegal to force you to have a specific shop do it. OTOH, it is easier to document if it is in their computer. I'd use OEM parts until any warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Order your filters from Amazon, and you won't have to worry about losing the receipts. That should be sufficient.

In any case, an old air engine filter won't perform well, but it won't break anything. (Unlike neglecting to change your oil filter; a clogged oil filter will switch into bypass, letting unfiltered oil run through your engine continuously.)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I would save the printed receipt and mark on the receipt when you changed the filter.
And yes, keep all of the receipts until you sell the vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,877 Posts
I buy my filters from O'Reillys Auto Parts and just write the date and mileage on my receipt and put that in my maintenance folder.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Order your filters from Amazon, and you won't have to worry about losing the receipts. That should be sufficient.

In any case, an old engine filter won't perform well, but it won't break anything. (Unlike neglecting to change your oil filter; a clogged oil filter will switch into bypass, letting unfiltered oil run through your engine continuously.)
Excellent advice. I buy my oil and filters from Amazon for this very reason. I also keep a log of everything I’ve done in my iPhone notes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I did keep tracking every fillup and service with Fuelly app. I will make sure to keep the receipts (and document change date and mileage on paper ones).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts