Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2l crv. I asked a mechanic about valve clearance and he said he doesn't think this year/model had that option on the engine. Do I need to have it done on this year? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Take it to a different mechanic. He is obviously not qualified to work on any vehicle. Of course there are proper valve clearances for every engine and yes you should get them check depending on milage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's words were if they can be adjusted it will be £20 on top of the full ser ice I was getting done but thinks they don't need doing on these cars but would check when doing the service. Does that seem to cheap for valve clearances?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't let that so called mechanic any where near a valve adjustment on a Honda with answers like that. Run!

Cheers ZAZE

·
Registered
351 Posts
IIRC, all Honda engines are interference motors. To make a long story short, mis adjusted valves can cause one of your valves & your piston to try to occupy the same space at the same time. When that happens, your two choices are: 1.] spend about $1500 to get the mess corrected; or 2.] offer it for sale as a boat anchor.

If you have aprox. 100K on the vehicle, get the valves adjusted as soon as possible.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
Actually, Honda recommended valve checks/adjustments every 30K miles on the B series engines fitted to the Gen1 CR-V.

Failure to perform this service could result in burned valves and cylinder head rework.

In the USA, Honda had specified 100K valve adjustment intervals (so as to reduce operating/maintenance costs), but they ended up replacing many cylinder heads as a result...:(

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The valve lash adj should be checked and set on a cold engine.
The intakes tend to get slightly looser and the exh tend to get tighter due to valve seat wear.
The biggest problem is that if the exh clearance gets too tight (small), the valves won't close all the way long enough and hot gases will squirt past them and start burning the valves seats, AFAIK.
20L extra is a bargain price.

The 2nd Gen engines had different requirements.
Your mechanic probably thought that your 2001 was actually a gen 2 which started in 2002. No big deal, IMO. I'm sure when he would look up the lash adj specs, he would realize that the 2001 was still a 1st gen.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phoned another garage who said it would cost £130. He said they replace the rocker cover gasket

·
Registered
428 Posts
leehumblerstone20, that sounds about right. While they're checking clearances on the intake and exhaust valves, must as well replace the valve cover gasket and four spark plug o-ring gaskets. I have my 2001 with 130k right now in the shop replacing timing belt and water pump, as well as checking valve clearances.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The valve cover gasket replacement can be optional, but the spark plug grommets should be replaced. You can buy the whole kit online and Fel Pro is a good brand.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fel-Pro-Valve-Cover-Gasket-Set-VS50362R-Honda-Acura-Integra-CR-V-1990-2001-/162082789797?fits=Year:2001|Make:Honda|Model:CR-V&hash=item25bce319a5:m:m0QB2T8FP9gCTVy0DUJh0Hw&vxp=mtr

Always verify that the part numbers are correct for your vehicle. :)

You can find them at 1A Auto etc for around $25.00 US.
That L20 extra is a damn good price.

Buffalo4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts