Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife’s 2012 CRV; 57k miles, started shuddering at ~25 MPH when cold. Took it to the dealer and they told me the transmission fluid was old and needed to be flushed (2X) and they also did a software update. Seems to have fixed the problem. Supposedly the “3” MM code should have come on at about 30K miles.

I never saw the “3” code. My wife says she didn’t see it either. I am quite detailed in our cars maintenance. Every car has a small notebook where I log all the services done; with mileage, cost, etc… Additionally, I keep a master file on my computer with duplicate data.

I do my own oil changes and simple stuff; changing brakes, O2 sensors, plugs…. so not a total idiot, but definitely not a mechanic. But it seems like I missed the code.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I guess I should have been more proactive instead of just relying on the MM.

Thank you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have got the "3" MM code twice I think at around 50k km intervals or so. if you have not changed it in 3 years or 57k miles I would say just do it without waiting for the code.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
And never do a flush on a transmission. Just do a simple drain and fill and replace the filter. A flush will loosen and metal particles, that weren't picked up by your magnetic drain plug, and could essentially get stuck in causing hard shifts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's what's in my manual:

Maintenance Sub Items
Code
3 Replace transmission fluid *4

4: If you tow your vehicle behind a motorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years or
30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.
Somewhere in the manual or elsewhere I've read that the normal interval is 60k miles.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Agree with changing out the trany fluid the 'Honda' way............but what about the question of "shuddering at ~25 MPH when cold" ??? There should be no co-relation of that and the shuddering. Any answers??

·
Registered
442 Posts
Agree with changing out the trany fluid the 'Honda' way............but what about the question of "shuddering at ~25 MPH when cold" ??? There should be no co-relation of that and the shuddering. Any answers??
I believe it is the lock up torque converter causes the shudder when ATF fluid is low or very old. I had this issue when honda dealership screwed up the ATF change and the level was low after the changing tranny fluid.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would have to refer to my dealer stamped log book, but my recollection is that I never noted the "3" code either, and we also are very keen on the servicing. I have experienced the slow speed shudder twice, and both times new tranny fluid resolved the problem. I know from posts here that there are a few different takes on how to flush the trans fluid (1x, 2x, 4x etc) and I'm sure that similar comments have been given by dealers as well. Myself, I've come to just start draining and changing the atf every other oil change... The fluid is not expensive and it's a quick and easy job to do and seems like good insurance towards keeping it running. I figure that frequency of replacement keeps the fluid fresh enough that I don't have to bother with multiple flushes, and I haven't experienced the shudder since I started doing that. On a side note, I found copies of the Honda Service Manual for my '09 gen 3, and it does not mention anything about multiple flushes (not that it might help some folks).

PS - I always check the levels after dealer service, everybody can make mistakes and it wouldn't be the first time I heard some horror story.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Probably just about when you reached 60k miles, which is the change interval spec'd in the owner's manual, if you don't tow it.
If you tow it, then it is 30k miles or 2 yrs , whichever comes first.
Many users are very happy using the Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc atf and it is around $18/gal jug at Walmart. It is not for use in the CVT trannies.
So, for under $60, you can do at least 3 drain and fills and also buy a funnel to help pour it in. On the 2011 on page 408, it takes 2.6 qts for a single drain and fill. I would bet the Dealer charged you a lot more than $60 for the two drain and fills. :)

Very easy to change yourself, and easier than changing the engine oil and filter.
If you need an owner's manual, you can dl one for free on the Internet.
Buffalo4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts