Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing a noticeable drag when letting off the gas in my 2019 LX. Don't really notice it at hiway speeds, but definitely feel it at 25-40 mph. I will be driving along and then maybe a light changes, so I lift off the gas and it feels like the brakes are dragging... the car immediately slows down noticeably. Doubt there is a brake dragging though, because I don't feel it at hiway speeds, and my gas mileage is still excellent. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a characteristic of the CVT?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
way back in the 90's the 97 crv had what was a ram intake something like that. causing a drag.. LX FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
There is a simple cure (even if its a mistake on your part) - take it back to the dealer for a free evaluation.

The only time I've noticed an apparent uncommanded SLOWING event is when cruising (and coasting) downhill - where the cars logic tells it to slow down.

As noted on the RPM tach gauge.

If this resolves your problem please remit eleven cents to the charity of your choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been experiencing a noticeable drag when letting off the gas in my 2019 LX. Don't really notice it at hiway speeds, but definitely feel it at 25-40 mph. I will be driving along and then maybe a light changes, so I lift off the gas and it feels like the brakes are dragging... the car immediately slows down noticeably. Doubt there is a brake dragging though, because I don't feel it at hiway speeds, and my gas mileage is still excellent. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a characteristic of the CVT?
I seem to have the same problem with my 2019 EX-L. My co-pilot was complaining and I started taking note. I plan to test in eco and non-eco mode today. Were you able to resolve the problem?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,593 Posts
I seem to have the same problem with my 2019 EX-L. My co-pilot was complaining and I started taking note. I plan to test in eco and non-eco mode today. Were you able to resolve the problem?
With the CVT paired with a 1.5T.. what is most important to note is rpms when you feel the "apparent drag". After that, note the speed decline per second. My guess is that in the 25-40 mph range noted in the original poster 4 months ago, you are on the edge of the rpm range where the turbo begins to spin up or down, and that could have some effect in this regard because both the engine and the CVT are very tightly coupled electronically, and the CVT does tend to behave a bit different between the turbo spun up vs spun down.

A lot of things can affect this though. Road surface can. Any amount of incline in the road. The mode you have your shifter set to (ie: D or S), whether you have ECO mode on or not. Even wind, including cross winds.

If in doubt though... note the conditions, and take it back to the dealer and have them evaluate it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’s possibly transmission programming. Honda’s don’t “coast” like some other manufacturers so letting off the gas completely could be causing a bit on engine braking. Maybe that’s what you feel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have not taken it in yet..... waiting for them to call me that the parts are in for the steering wheel wiring recall. They are really dragging their feet on this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It’s possibly transmission programming. Honda’s don’t “coast” like some other manufacturers so letting off the gas completely could be causing a bit on engine braking. Maybe that’s what you feel.
When going down a hill on the highway with the Adaptive Cruise Control on (and no vehicle ahead), I notice the CVT does "gear down" to some extent as the vehicle speed exceeds the ACC setpoint. I've seen the tach go up to 3,500 rpm, but the braking effect is minimal and speed is not brought down to setpoint even on moderate hills. If the ACC is cancelled during this time the tach immediately drops back to about 1,500 rpm, and it feels more like the vehicle is coasting with resultant gain in speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts