Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded in my ‘18 CR-V Touring for ‘21 Hybrid Touring last night. When I pulled into my garage it dawned on me that it sits lower than my ‘18. Looking up the dimensions and I’m not really seeing any difference (including wheel/tire size). Is the Hybrid smaller than the non-hybrid?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,608 Posts
They both show as 66-67 inches, as you said not really any difference.
Your Touring has 19" wheels, the '18 probably 18s, but the tires will make some difference.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
Nope. Same exact chassis design and dimensional specs.

Only thing that can affect total vehicle height would be tires possibly, or when an owner decides to install a lift kit. I guess, an owner could also make a low rider out of a CRV.. but I have never seen one yet. :)

Speculation: you are standing just a bit taller, prouder, and more energetic next to your new vehicle. In other words, it's not the vehicle, it's your perceptions modified by excitement and enthusiasm. :D

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring
142 Posts
I thought the opposite. Whenever I parked near a regular CR-V, I thought my hybrid looked a little taller. I assumed because the hybrid is AWD.

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
I just traded in my ‘18 CR-V Touring for ‘21 Hybrid Touring last night. When I pulled into my garage it dawned on me that it sits lower than my ‘18. Looking up the dimensions and I’m not really seeing any difference (including wheel/tire size). Is the Hybrid smaller than the non-hybrid?
Dont forget the Hybrid is hauling around a small but weight battery in the boot. Sorry, "trunk". :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It honestly doesn’t make any sense but I know 100% that I could not see over the top of my ‘18 when standing next to it (washing the roof was always fun). I know I didn’t grow any taller but when standing next to the ‘21 I can already tell washing it will be a lot easier because it is shorter. The overall size of the ‘21 should actually be taller when calculating all measurements in comparison to the ‘18. Guess I will need to find another non-hybrid to park next to and compare.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
I thought the opposite. Whenever I parked near a regular CR-V, I thought my hybrid looked a little taller. I assumed because the hybrid is AWD.
Heh... what we have here is a classic under way. :)

Human perceptual variance at play in real time. :geek:

Time to break out the tape measures. :D Tape measures are objective, though those using them could still bend them "subjectively".

I suspect tires are the source of the perceived differences. Honda only altered the front styling with the mid-life refresh and the concurrent release of the hybrids in North America.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh... what we have here is a classic under way. :)

Human perceptual variance at play in real time. :geek:

Time to break out the tape measures. :D Tape measures are objective, though those using them could still bend them "subjectively".

I suspect tires are the source of the perceived differences. Honda only altered the front styling with the mid-life refresh and the concurrent release of the hybrids in North America.
I did a comparison and it would appear that the 19” wheel/tire combo on the ‘21 Hybrid is actually taller than the ‘18.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring
142 Posts
I did a comparison and it would appear that the 19” wheel/tire combo on the ‘21 Hybrid is actually taller than the ‘18.
That's 0.1 inch taller diameter, which means the Hybrid is 0.05 inch taller. My eyes aren't that good.

In my case, I think it's that the Touring gets the roof rails. It makes it look a little taller against the other models. I rarely see another Hybrid or Touring.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,039 Posts
Dont forget the Hybrid is hauling around a small but weight battery in the boot. Sorry, "trunk". :)
OFF TOPIC WARNING!!

What do Brits call the open space in the front of the vehicle that is available in place of an engine in many EVs?

Apparently, N. Americans call it a frunk.

Do you call it a froot? (serious question, BTW)

• Haha
Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
OFF TOPIC WARNING!!

What do Brits call the open space in the front of the vehicle that is available in place of an engine in many EVs?

Apparently, N. Americans call it a frunk.

Do you call it a froot? (serious question, BTW)
It is definitely the proper place to store the "torch" when not needed :p

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
If you guys don't start whipping out some tape measures, or showing CRVs side by side ... I'm going to be triggered to go to my local dealer with a tape measure. :ROFLMAO:

Reason: All good mysteries need an answer/solution. :D

·
5,039 Posts
Height (2WD/AWD)66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 inNA / 66.5 in
From Honda website: LX..............SE.................. EX............... EX-L............. Touring

No difference between Hybrid and ICE models.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring
142 Posts
Height (2WD/AWD)66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 in66.1 in / 66.5 inNA / 66.5 in
From Honda website: LX..............SE.................. EX............... EX-L............. Touring

No difference between Hybrid and ICE models.
I think being AWD and having the roof rails just gives the impression of being a little taller when next to a FWD model without the rails.

·
5,039 Posts
I think being AWD and having the roof rails just gives the impression of being a little taller when next to a FWD model without the rails.
The AWD models are .4 inch taller. Personally, I think this small amount of difference would be very hard to see.

Reactions: sjw91

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Since we're on the subject. If they call a flashlight a torch, what do they call a torch? A plumber would need both of them... :unsure:
I have to yield to our English members on that one. :D

But I bet they call both "torch".. you know.. just to keep things both redundant and confusing grammar wise ... hehe. :p

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
Called a "Frunk".

Front/Trunk amalgamation. :)

·
5,039 Posts
Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
Yep, the rear is the boot. And like the US, we call the frunk, the frunk :)

Reactions: JB in AZ
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.