Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not this first time this has happened to me.So I own the basic 17 CRV Lx and my wife moved the car to get our van out, No problem reported. I went out a while later and the car just kept trying to start but engine would not kick over. 3rd time it caught but didn't sound great right away. My car has 3,500 miles on it. Since April 28 when I got it this is probably the 4 th time it has happened. I drove the car without a problem today. When I purchased the car in was on the showroom floor for about a month or so,I sat in it at least 6 times while having maintenance on other cars performed. The dealer replaced the battery when I picked it up cause she was dead probably from every sitting in it. I understand that. So new battery, use the parking break all the time, what gives? It just sat while I was away for 10 days and it started right up, although it was on my mind if it was going too or not. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
It sounds like what I call “Garage Start”. It has happened to me a few times on cars that I have owned with fuel injection. Not being a slow learner, I started making a habit of driving my cars until the temperature gauge starts to move before putting them in the garage even though it would have been a 15 foot drive. Last year I had to move my convertible into the garage quickly to avoid a sudden downpour. Guess what, the next morning it started but ran like crap for about a minute. So I will continue my 25 year old warm-up habit.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It sounds like what I call “Garage Start”. It has happened to me a few times on cars that I have owned with fuel injection. Not being a slow learner, I started making a habit of driving my cars until the temperature gauge starts to move before putting them in the garage even though it would have been a 15 foot drive. Last year I had to move my convertible into the garage quickly to avoid a sudden downpour. Guess what, the next morning it started but ran like crap for about a minute. So I will continue my 25 year old warm-up habit.
I have never experienced this and I always go from freeway driving straight into the garage..... The problem listed is a flooded engine on shut down so you restart with too much fuel.... I would have a dealer check this out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So maybe when the car was moved it was turned off too quick? When I tried to start it it was flooded? Possible. I know it happened a few other times. I don't touch the gas just the brake when I start it. Worth a while to watch. Thanks all

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had this happen once in my '07 CRV. Started the engine cold, didn't wait at all, immediately backed out of the garage to move it out of the way and turned it off, all within about 30 seconds. Next time I started it the next day, it ran rough for a few minutes.

Here's what happened. Cold starts use more fuel so by not letting it warm up at least for a minute or so before immediately turning it off there was excess fuel in the cylinders, essentially almost flooding the engine. Learned my lesson to let the car run for a couple minutes before turning it on and immediately off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this happen as well in the past with my DI passat and my BMW X3. I just make it a point to drive around the block and it has not happened since.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What I call “Garage Start” is definitely also known as Flooding. My worst time ever was with my 1985 Mazda RX7. Unless you have owned a Rotary Engine car you have no idea what a PITA a flooded engine can be. Pulling the spark plugs or push starting are the easy options.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Many years ago, I flooded my daughter's 88 Mazda RX7. It cranked like the spark plugs were out with no compression. I thought I had ruined it. I kept cranking it and it finally got a little compression that improved the more I cranked it. When it did start, it smoked so much, it hid the house. I still thought it was ruined. After it ran a while, it quit smoking and straightened out like nothing had ever happened. It happened once more while she had it. She sold it with 140,000 miles on it and the engine still ran fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
stop using the parking brake, it does NOTHING with an automatic trans that locks internally and it is its own parking brake as soon as you put it in Park./ I have not used a parking brake in 10 automatic transmissioned cars over a 25 year period at all

·
Registered
281 Posts
So maybe when the car was moved it was turned off too quick? When I tried to start it it was flooded? Possible. I know it happened a few other times. I don't touch the gas just the brake when I start it. Worth a while to watch. Thanks all
its never happened in any of our modern cars (10 in total) under any circumstances and yes I have started and shut off after a few seconds many many times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts