Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my CRV touring to take my lab and a terrier for joy rides. Besides the window nose prints, the carpeted cargo area is impossible to clean of dog hair. I have the seats down and have a barrier bought from Walmart up between front and back. The ceiling is permanently marred from the barrier. Are there any of Honda’s being made that are dog friendly?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Moved to Gen 4 section.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
In this situation I would get an Element. It has a much sturdier interior, excellent for dogs, midgets, adults, and other destructive creatures.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
ManufacturerHonda
ProductionDecember 2002 – April 2011

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
With projected first year sales of 50,000, the Element sold 67,478 units in 2003 in the U.S. By 2010, just over 14,000 were sold, and by December 2010, shortly before its discontinuation, production totaled approximately 325,000.

Source: Honda Element - Wikipedia

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,780 Posts
Dogs are the reason we went to leather seats...... TDG1392. was the model I got for my 2016 Touring. Adding dog guard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dogs are the reason we went to leather seats...... TDG1392. was the model I got for my 2016 Touring. Adding dog guard
I have a 2015 touring, but keep the seats down for the dogs. Had to buy a rubber mat to put down to help with dog hair.
Need to put something in next to prevent them from coming up front and a place to hold a water bowl would be nice too.
Any ideals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With projected first year sales of 50,000, the Element sold 67,478 units in 2003 in the U.S. By 2010, just over 14,000 were sold, and by December 2010, shortly before its discontinuation, production totaled approximately 325,000.

Source: Honda Element - Wikipedia
Thank you for the numbers. Certainly explains why there aren’t many around. Sorry they weren’t a better seller. Can think of one way to market them. (Dogs)!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Are they still producing Elements? I see a few on the road but not for sale.
Honda, in it's typical infinite lack of wisdom, chose to discontinue them after 2011, even though they were popular and selling just fine. There have since been rumors that they will come out with a new one, but so far only rumors. But the Element is the exact same vehicle as the CR-V, except for the body. Suspension, frame, engine, drivetrain are all the same. It is still quite possible, with a bit of patience, to find a very nice and clean used one for a very reasonable price. I almost got one, and missed it by just one hour. A much more practical choice for dog owners and campers, and certainly way smarter than buying any new car. You can get pet-friendly ideas a-plenty from our sister Element forum site here:

Honda Element Owners Club

·
Registered
119 Posts
the element in the US sold well it's first two years and then sales fell off and the last three years 2009, 2010 and 2011 were pretty slow. they only sold 14884 in 2009, 14247 in 2010 and only 11534 the last year. by contrast honda crv's were selling that many or more in a single month during those years.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
751 Posts
IIRC I saw somewhere how Element owners handled their interiors was a problem. The Element had a very utilitarian interior - lots of plastic, no carpet, etc. When the interior got dirty / mucked up, some owners hosed out their Element's interiors. They thought that its bare bones interior allowed them to do so. The problem was that inside, underneath the floorboards, were some electronic components that weren't waterproof. One wash - sizzle goes the electronics.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Elements here sold well and there are still a lot of them around. They now have a cult following, and there is a thriving market for them. There were a few folks hosing them out, but that was far overblown, and no, there were not a bunch of damaged electronics. There were some adverse affects. This only ever happened to a few owners. A high majority of Elements ever built are still on the road, supporting a large contingent of weekend campers. Honda effectively killed sales when they failed to produce any updates in the last years. I'd still buy one in a heartbeat if I could find the right one and get my hands on it. Hard to do around here. IMO it's better than a CR-V. I like the driving position, entry height, ride height, and ergonomics way better. The seats are more comfortable. They are far more versatile in every way. Better looking than a Gen 3 V, too. Which, I realize, isn't saying much. But still.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts