Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car a few Weeks, but noticed today that car alarm goes off 2-3 mins after leaving the dog in the car and locking it , tried remote and key locking... can this problem be rectified at garage pls?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
MS3224A, is correct, you have an aftermarket alarm system installed. Honda's alarm system will only trigger if a door, rear hatch or hood is forced open. Remove the aftermarket system will fix the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MS3224A, is correct, you have an aftermarket alarm system installed. Honda's alarm system will only trigger if a door, rear hatch or hood is forced open. Remove the aftermarket system will fix the problem.
Thanks, I’ll investigate today. I did think it a bit OTT considering I don’t even get an alarm to tell me the headlights are left on 😤🤪

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't know about where you are, but here it is illegal to leave a pet unattended and locked in a vehicle, if that pet is harmed or could come to harm, such as hot or cold weather or inadequate ventilation. Punishment includes jail time and fines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I’m in south UK and we are approaching winter so outdoor temp range is 0-12’ c.
I wouldn’t dream of leaving my precious family pet in car in even warm temps, but crv was bought to transport the dog with us on our days out, so he’s not home alone. We do therefore need to leave him in car when a restaurant doesn’t allow dog inside, which is very common here! In spring, summer, autumn nice days, we sit outside with him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice, take your pup to kennel to doggy daycare, board him or...make your own food and eat in the car. In FL it is law that I can break your car window to get a pet out no matter the temperature.

Thanks, I’m in south UK and we are approaching winter so outdoor temp range is 0-12’ c.
I wouldn’t dream of leaving my precious family pet in car in even warm temps, but crv was bought to transport the dog with us on our days out, so he’s not home alone. We do therefore need to leave him in car when a restaurant doesn’t allow dog inside, which is very common here! In spring, summer, autumn nice days, we sit outside with him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the car a few Weeks, but noticed today that car alarm goes off 2-3 mins after leaving the dog in the car and locking it , tried remote and key locking... can this problem be rectified at garage pls?
Sounds like a safety feature. If you left a dog locked in a car in many areas, someone would have the right and or responsibility to bread a window to get him out. Not a good idea to leave anyone in a locked car that cannot get themselves out in an emergency. In Florida the dog (or child) ould die before you got back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good for you taking the dog with you. I took my dog everywhere for the 12 years I had him. 0-12c is nothing; he was with me then. Only when the temps got below -5c or above 30c did he stay at home.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Never leave a dog or child in an unattended car, locked or otherwise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Paulwil,

Any luck with your alarm going off problem?

Correct me if wrong - I believe in the UK, where you are, it is not illegal to leave your dog in a car, but it is illegal to mistreat or abuse an animal in your care, like leaving your dog in a hot or cold car.

I believe in the UK someone would have a lawful excuse to commit damage, and could smash your car window to save your dog’s life from being in a hot or cold car, similar to what the American folks were mentioning above. We also have similar laws here in Canada.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,

I'll explain what is happening and leave a link to a post that I responded too with a solution that would work on your vehicle too. Note: I do not condone leaving an animal alone in a vehicle personally.

What is happening:

The factory Honda security system does not have any form of motion or glass breakage detection, the system relies upon many inputs, but for this discussion we will refer to the inputs associated with the vehicles power door locks.

20 seconds after the doors are locked (assuming all the other inputs are satisfied as well), the standard Honda security system arms.

If a thief were to break a window, the alarm would not sound because there is no glass breakage detection. If the thief were then to reach inside and then move the inside lock knob to the UNLOCK position, the alarm would trigger since there was no "legitimate unlock" prior to this event (unlock with a remote or door key unlock).

If the door is not opened, the doors will auto re-lock in 30 seconds and the alarm will stop sounding and reset after 2 minutes (an alarm that sounds for only 30 seconds is from a trigger of the PANIC button on the remote).

If the animal in the vehicle were to start pacing back and forth, looking out the windows after it has been locked in the vehicle for more than 20 seconds and the alarm is now set, then steps on a power door locks UNLOCK switch on either front door panel, the doors would UNLOCK, the door lock knobs would report being in the UNLOCKED positions while the alarm is set just like a thief broke the glass and unlocked a door and sound the alarm.

Again, since there is no actual door open after this, the doors would relock in 30 seconds and the alarm would arm again after sounding for 2 minutes.

This is all normal behavior for the vehicle, considering it doesn't know there's an animal inside.

Possible Solution:

Please refer to my response to this person's question about being able to disable the alarm, while still being able to retain all the other normal keyless and power door lock functions.

I hope this helps,

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts