Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about getting skid plates for some time now, due to occasional off road adventures. Well yesterday I hit a rock on a paved road and punctured my oil pan and something else is screwed up too. While she's in for repairs I'd like to order some parts to toughen her up.

• 1st on the list is a bull bar / front skid plate combo. I have my eyes on this: http://www.vanguardoffroad.com/hocrvcrfrbug.html
    I'm concerned that this kind of skid plate won't truly protect the oil pan and transmission, so thats where#2 comes in.
  • 2nd on the list is a full underside skid plate. I'm not even sure that anyone makes this for CR-V's; if not where would I go to have one made and would it even be affordable?
  • 3rd on the list is a rear bumper bar. This one looks nice: http://www.vanguardoffroad.com/20hocrvrebug2.html
  • 4th is door bumper panels to protect from swinging doors in parking lots. My car is going in soon for $1500 worth of damage done to it while parked!!!
Some other odds and end I'm interested in include: a 2" lift, Rainguards for my windows, running boards for the side, and a bug shield on the front hood.

Anyone out there have some input on these ideas?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Those skid plates on the bull bar are for show only and do not go down under the truck at all. I've had bull bars on all my CRV's except for my current one. I've had someone drive into my parked CRV and thankfully hit my bull bar, so no damage there. One of my CRVs was hit head on in an intersection accident and it crumbled along with the whole front end (grill fenders, hood, lights ect..) It was a write-off simply due to it's age as the damage hit $5,000.

I never did get a lift kit, but I did go to a taller tire which helped clearance a bit. I went from 205/70 15 to 215/75 15

I don't believe anyone makes a under carriage skid plate for any gen. CRV, as it simply is not an off road vehicle. You would have to have it fabricated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great pictures! I don't plan to do anything crazy off road, just mud, dirt roads, and the occasional landscape construction site (work not play on that last one).

Looks r an incentive too, but having the protection is always nice.

Good to know that the skid plates on the bull bar are a vanity thing.

I may get a quote on real custom skid plates.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
A taller, all Terrain (A/T) tire is a must for what you do. You'll love the extra ground clearance it gives you and just may save you from a bent rim.

For my '09 CRV, especially with 17" rims I will be going from the stock 225/65 17 up to 235/70 17 BFGroodrich Highway A/T tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Terrain+T/A&partnum=37TR7RTTAXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here is the difference in tire size and it's affect on you speedometer.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=225-65r17-235-70r17

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
P.S. Let me know if you do find a good 2" lift kit for your Gen.3 CRV, as they are sooooo much lower to the ground than the previous gen. CRV's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. Let me know if you do find a good 2" lift kit for your Gen.3 CRV, as they are sooooo much lower to the ground than the previous gen. CRV's.
I'm not entirely sure that anything is made specifically for the gen 3 CR-V, although I vaguely recall someone else on these boards having done it. I'll have to ask around at an offroad shop if I can find one nearby. I'll do some web searching too.

Anyways, the skid plate is the first thing I need to do. If I can get a 750$ repair bill from a rock on the road then I'll definitely need some protection off road. Even if a custom skid plate runs me ~$500 or so the protection is worth it. Any more than that and I'll have to think about it though.

Tires will be beefed up once my current set wears out (next year). The ones you linked look like what my friends put on their jeep Cherokees, I wonder how it would look on the V.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'll let you know in the spring when I replace mine.

Here is a pic, that I know nothing about.

***Also OME makes a 2" lift kit for a gen.3 CRV for $316 + shipping: http://www.rocky-road.com/hondasus.html

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Me too, especially since the newer CRV's are sooo much lower to the ground than my previous Gen. 1 CRV!

Let me know if you discover anything, but from I understand it's just a taller spring, so you would need a spring compresor, I think. Nothing a garage couldn't do for pretty cheap. $400 for us Canadians after shipping charge, but not sure if there would be any added dutie fee & taxes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rickman,

Have you ever had any issues with going up a tire size on a first gen?
ie: rubbing when turning or fully loaded down ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd be interessted to beef up the crv as well (within reasonable expectation of course) During winter I like to drive in snow but today I saw that I have snow inside the engine bay and I don't like that. This and the fact the oil pan is totaly vulnerable to any obstacle you can encounter on the road or offroad. So 2" spacers, bigger tires and custom skid plate would help for my occasional offroading. Maybe I'll change the camshaft to get a little bit more power, but I'm not sure about this. I wish there was more pictures of modified 3rd gen crvs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered the bull bar skid plate for my 2006 CRV but it came without the instructions can any body help me it's a Hunter brand?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts