Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2012 Honda CR-V and the dome lights have stopped working, here is what I know so far:

1) Map lights still work.
2) Trunk light still works.
3) Fuses tested OK both under the dashboard and the hood.
4) Replaced dome light bulbs, did not resolve.
5) No power to the contacts within the dome housing.

Not sure what to try next.

I did search the forum before posting and read several threads, but could not find one that was exactly like the problem I have.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
MY 2000 has a switch on the dome light. Off/Auto/On. Not sure if the newer ones use the same setup or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all doors, and pushed the switches by hand. Also double checked the on/off position too. Still got the problem. :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
You connected the multi-meter to the socket and went through all three switch positions and no power? If so, that would indicate a wiring problem since the other, working lights are on the same circuit.

Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I used a multi-meter. Just emailed a local mobile mechanic as the car is now out of warranty. He reckons it might be the keyless control unit that could be bad. Going to make an appointment for next week to get it looked at. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I used a multi-meter. Just emailed a local mobile mechanic as the car is now out of warranty. He reckons it might be the keyless control unit that could be bad. Going to make an appointment for next week to get it looked at. Thanks for the help.

Would love to know if there was a resolution to this as I'm experiencing the same thing. Just bought a 10year old CRV, the roof light and parking sensors are the only issues :(

·
Registered
895 Posts
I dont have any service info for the Gen 3 stuff. The older ones have a Multiplex Control Unit that controls things like the dome lights. That may be flaking out. There are usually a couple different fuses that feed it. Looking at the diagrams for the late model Gen 2's, it looks like the MCU supplies ground to the dome lights when the dome light switch is set to Auto. Since this stuff is ground side switched, if you turn it to the ON position and it still doesn't work, I thing that would eliminate the control module because that will supply a different ground. At that point I would check fuses for sure. One of the contacts in the light fixture should be hot all the time.

I guess simply put. Check the light fixtures with a meter and use a ground other than the one in the fixture. If you have 12v on one side of the fixture and it doesn't work when the switch is in Auto, the problem could be the switch, or if none of the interior lights work, the problem is possibly with the controller or the ground for the controller. If you have 12v in the fixture and it doesn't work with the switch in the ON position, you still have a ground problem. Could be the switch or wherever it is terminated to the body. You would need a wiring diagram to be able to see where it gets the ground from or if it shares the same ground with the controller.

If you check and have no battery voltage in the fixture, you need to check the fuses and find out why you don't have power.

Keep in mind, this is all assuming they didn't go and change things a great deal from the 05-06 models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts