Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 CR-V
Purchased two weeks ago; splurged on 3yr/36,000 maintenance package (maybe worth it/maybe not...wanted it anyway)
I also have an '04 Civic for which I follow severe driving maintenance schedule and intend to do the same for my new CR-V.

I've looked through the forums here to see if I could find something similar to my question, but I didn't. I take what dealers say with a grain of salt, and sometimes, I smile and nod my head to humor them. Every now and then, I'll take them at their word, depending on what it is. In this case, the dealer said not to let oil fall below 60%. i drive about 25-30 miles a day to/from work, and also own my own business, which requires me to travel short trips to my client's homes about 3-5 times/week. I've had the vehicle for two weeks, am on third tank of gas, and just turned 622 miles thus far; the oil is already at 90%. At this rate, and if it continues to decrease by 10% every two weeks, I'll be in for an oil change in about six weeks at approximate 2488 miles. ( My calcs may be off a bit; I'll have to look at the total miles again, but I'm pretty sure 622 is right. The 1st and 2nd tanks of gas went through quickly.) Anyway, that's much sooner than the severe driving conditions.

My owner's manual and service schedule certainly do not recommend it that soon, and I've seen posts on this site where the oil % is at 30 or lower by the time an oil change is done. What's the deal with the 60%?

Thanks in advance for the input.

OffTopic: I'm a girl...well, middle-aged woman, but I'm no fool. After getting fed up with the nonethanol vs. ethanol pissing matches I read, I spent most of the day Saturday researching ingredients in the different types of available fuels and how they react with one another. I decided on 100% gas from one of the top tier producers where I live. My mpg increased by 5 miles. Worth it for me.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Honda calls for 15% or one year. Changing it at 60% sounds like a number made up by the dealer to get you in more often.

The manual lists 15% and don't be afraid to point it out to them if the insist you need it changed sooner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my consensus as well, but I wanted some uninvested, 3rd-party thoughts on the topic. Plus, if someone else is told something similar, my question might help them. Thanks! I've been going to this dealer for 10 years; bought my Civic there, and for the most part, they've done me good over the years. I'm direct and not afraid to speak up; they bend over when I come in. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Your screen name drew me it, but I'll spare you the personal history. Suffice it to say I was on a first name basis with Beowulf.

FWIW, I agree with Lizzurd (and grillions of other on BITOG [bobistheoilguy.com]) and Honda's advice on the official Honda owners website (owners.Honda.com -- lots of helpful advice there, btw) that changing the your motor oil, and especially the factory fill, before the Mileage Monitor (MM) system indicates it's necessary is, well, unnecessary and certainly not recommended. There's also not a lot of additional maintenance beyond cusory checks in the first 36k miles, so I hope for your sake the plan you signed up for is inexpensive and includes, at a minimum, at least one drain-and-refill of the ATF during that period. (Yes, yes, I realize the MM system will not queue it, but it's a very good idea given the type of driving you described.) I encourage you to push for it as an included, expected service as part of the service plan you bought.

Here's hoping you enjoy your new Honda.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here; English degree/licensed teacher/private tutor. Beowulf is an old, dear friend of mine.

Yes, the plan was inexpensive; worth the money for me. The driving I put the Civic through over the years required an oil/filter change about every 8-9 weeks, but I was one of "those" who stuck to the every 3K rule. I know that I don't have to do that with the CR-V; although, it is a challenge to purge it from the recesses of my brain. I'll keep in mind the ATF advice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Always best to follow the owners manual, but plenty of people NEVER change their oil and only add when it gets low. I know two such people who keep their cars for 5 or 6 years and 100k+ miles with no obvious ill effects. Doesn't mean anybody should do this, just sayin'.

Even spent oil is better than no oil.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I don't change mine until the 5% mark, which is usually about 8,000 kilometers, and I only use Synthetic due to our colder than hell cold starts in the winter, and our hotter than hell summers! :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just curious: what does that pre-paid service contract say will happen if the vehicle is stolen or totaled during the coverage period? Will you get a pro-rated refund or are you SOL?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to look. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say SOL. :) I'm okay with that because it wasn't expensive, IMO. I've averaged buying a new vehicle every 10 years, and I still have my 93 Ranger (my baby) and 04 Civic (the 18 year old's car now), which are both in good condition. The one and only time I did not get an extended warranty or extras was the one time I needed it for that Ford Tempo *cough* lemon *cough*. I'll trade some of the fancy bells and whistles for something I feel is more beneficial and/or convenient for me. Some people will pay for a sunroof, some (me) will pay for a period of maintenance. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If your maintenance package pays for the 'dealer' recommended frequent oil and filter changes and it is a required part of the agreement, than do it. If not, do what lizzurd suggests, unless the oil looks really black or gunky or strange.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually on all the cars i have had in the family change the oil and filter each 3000 to 3500 miles.
and had no problems at all! it keeps the engine healthy.

if you do semi synthetic oil you can go up a little more, or even more if its full synthetic.

i just drove from NJ to Miami and was about 1400 miles and the oil went down to 74%;
i'll change it soon not because the 60% but because of the long drive in less than 30 hours.

hope I was helpful

regards,

G.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Unless the oil got extra hot on that drive, I think hwy miles (esp long drives on the interstate) are the easiest on the oil, its additives and on the oil filter.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked my maintenance contract, which didn't give any schedule; just follow what's recommended for the vehicle. I've an '04 Civic with 152K miles, which I handed down to the teenager. I'll do as I did with the Civic...follow the severe driving maintenance schedule. I do city/hwy driving combined, and our summers/winters can get hot/cold respectively. I don't baby my vehicles too much but I do take care of them so they'll last me a good 10-20 years. (Got a 93 Ranger that still runs)

Thanks for the advice and help on the oil issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had a call from our dealer saying that is should be time for service/oil change, last changed in 8 months ago. I told them that the oil life monitor was say 40%, dealer responded by saying to come in later this year when it got down to 15%.

Beverley and Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts