Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

As we all know, the Hybrid does not have a spare wheel/tire, which means it would be risky to drive it in a weak cell signal area (been there, done that with a Bolt).

I was trying to get the dealership to sell me an "officially approved" donut, but was told there wasn't such a thing as a dedicated CRV-Hybrid donut, which is probably true. But does a compatible donut exist?

I suspect I am not alone in this quest, and I would really love to hear you all's opinions.

Stay safe,
D

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
Internet makes us all smart today. took a few seconds to find. Please take a minute of your time now to complete your profile of your V that the staff asked in all the stickies (lol)
you were given a Spare tire repair Kit? all you need to know is your tire, rim, and series size

• Three Kit Options To Choose From
  • 18×4 Aluminum Alloy Wheel With 5×114.3MM Bolt Pattern.
  • Continental 155/85R18 Tire W/81 MPH Speed Rating (112M) With 28.5” Rolling Diameter For Safe Extended Vehicle Use.
  • The Modern Spare Kit Is Compatible With All Factory Wheel Sizes.
  • Enlarged Wheel Brake Caliper Clearance For Use With Large Modern Brake Systems.
  • Safe To Use For Replacement Of Front & Rear Tires With No Spacer Required.
  • Available Complete Kit To Quickly & Efficiently Replace A Blown Or Flat tire with all necessary tools included.
  • Complete Kit Features Our 3000 LB TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack With Secure Pinch weld Contact Point. Modern Spare 14” – 21” Telescoping Lug Wrench With 17MM, 19MM, 21MM, & 22MM Sockets and Large Disposable Tire Bag Included For Transporting Failed Full-Sized Tire.
  • All Kits Available With Heavy-duty, Nylon Reinforced Carrying Case To Neatly Store Your Entire Kit. A Great Alternative For Vehicles Without a Dedicated Storage Space.
The Right Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically Your Honda CRV Hybrid
We guarantee the Modern Spare Spare Tire kits to be the highest quality and best choice for your CRV Hybrid. Here is why:

To make your Modern Spare Kit incredibly simple to use, we designed an aluminum alloy wheel that is significantly lighter and more capable than a conventional steel counterpart. As a result, our spare wheel/tire combination is easier to handle. The low weight improves your CRV’s performance and fuel mileage when compared to a heavier full-sized spare. Also, to maintain excellent standards of quality, our alloy wheel meets or exceeds all the latest DOT highway safety standards. In addition, each spare wheel is equipped with a durable space-saving tire capable of traveling at highway speeds up to 81mph. The improved tire allows you to travel the needed distance to a repair shop you trust with your Honda CRV.

Better Tools-
To make our Spare Tire Kit better for your car, we considered the frustrations that come with typical spare tire tools. As an example, most scissor jacks are difficult to use and do not provide the needed leverage to easily lift your CRV. We solved this problem by developing a custom, low-profile scissor jack with a unique ratcheting handle mechanism. This handle provides the required leverage to easily lift your the car and lower it safely. We have carefully designed our jack to lift your CRV properly at the designated lift points.

If you find a stubborn or overtightened lug nut, our Modern Spare telescoping lug wrench provides nearly two feet of leverage. You’ll be able to easily remove and retighten your lug nuts to quickly get back on the road.

As a forethought, we included a full-size, thick plastic tire bag. Transporting a full-size flat tire and wheel can be messy. Therefore, placing the large plastic tire bag over the failed tire will help protect your car’s interio

·
Read Only
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the hybrid come with storage space for a spare but no spare Or no storage space at all?
The whole "basement" of the cargo hold, which is where the spare tire would live in a normal car, is occupied. The hybrid battery is in the front half of the basement, and rear half is mostly glorious nothing, filled with a plastic insert.

If I end up with a donut, I'll have to find a room for it.

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
137 Posts
Do you carry a spare tire, though, and if yes, what kind is it? I am trying to see how others have gone about fixing this problem.
No I don’t bother. It has a tire repair kit, and also Honda Roadside Assistance. It the event of a flat, I‘ll use one or the other. I put it in the same category as any other mechanical breakdown - relatively low odds, but if it happens, unlikely I’m going to fix it myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The whole "basement" of the cargo hold, which is where the spare tire would live in a normal car, is occupied. The hybrid battery is in the front half of the basement, and rear half is mostly glorious nothing, filled with a plastic insert.

If I end up with a donut, I'll have to find a room for it.
I don't travel much but I'm the kind of guy who overpacks for all my trips out of town - even if it's only for a couple of nights. Almost all of my/our vehicles have full-size matching wheels/tires as spares (yeah, I used to be a boy scout back in the day).

I was thinking that if you have no dedicated space for a donut and a donut is going to take up a certain amount of storage anyway, what do you think about just getting a full-size spare (to go along with a tire repair kit and inflator)?

·
Read Only
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't travel much but I'm the kind of guy who overpacks for all my trips out of town - even if it's only for a couple of nights. Almost all of my/our vehicles have full-size matching wheels/tires as spares (yeah, I used to be a boy scout back in the day).

I was thinking that if you have no dedicated space for a donut and a donut is going to take up a certain amount of storage anyway, what do you think about just getting a full-size spare (to go along with a tire repair kit and inflator)?
Being a borderline baby boomer myself, I can appreciate the advantages of the old school full-size spare. At the same time donuts are smaller, lighter and certainly cheaper than full-size, so those are certainly factors, too.

Don't feel "bad" about overpacking; in the Roman Empire they used to say Si vis pacem, para bellum :geek:. I carry with me everything that I think I might need in an emergency - a set of clothes and shoes, a spare laptop, spare chargers and a huge power bank and 12V ->120V converter, engine oil, drinking water, various tools. When I was trading my Prius for the CRV, I had two huge IKEA bags of stuff to move from one to another.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
468 Posts
I don't have the CR-V hybrid but I do have a 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid that I bought new. It has the same setup with no spare, just a tire repair kit including a can of sealant and a compressor. I made the decision early on that if I needed to carry a spare I bought the wrong car. I've never had a problem but I did replace the sealant when the use by date hit (car reminder popped up).

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
I don't have the CR-V hybrid but I do have a 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid that I bought new. It has the same setup with no spare, just a tire repair kit including a can of sealant and a compressor. I made the decision early on that if I needed to carry a spare I bought the wrong car. I've never had a problem but I did replace the sealant when the use by date hit (car reminder popped up).
This is excellent advice. I bet 90% of owners who have the tire repair kit do not know there is a "use by date"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Being a borderline baby boomer myself, I can appreciate the advantages of the old school full-size spare. At the same time donuts are smaller, lighter and certainly cheaper than full-size, so those are certainly factors, too.

Don't feel "bad" about overpacking; in the Roman Empire they used to say Si vis pacem, para bellum :geek:. I carry with me everything that I think I might need in an emergency - a set of clothes and shoes, a spare laptop, spare chargers and a huge power bank and 12V ->120V converter, engine oil, drinking water, various tools. When I was trading my Prius for the CRV, I had two huge IKEA bags of stuff to move from one to another.
I actually prefer (Igitur) Qui Desiderat Pacem, Praeparet Bellum, but we're on the same page - GMTA! :D

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
468 Posts
lmao, I'm not familiar with ANY vehicles with inflatable tires that are "flat proof"... If you've never had to change or a repair a damaged/flat tire, then maybe your name is Riley? :)
You misunderstood me. My point is if I can't get by with the provided tire repair kit, sealant and compressor I bought the wrong car. I didn't feel the need to carry a spare tire when there was no place to store it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh, I understand your point/position - I probably wasn't clear enough on mine. I subscribe to the philosophies/mindsets of "two is one and one is none" (and "none is dumb") and "better to have it and not need it" than the other way around. For most things, I assume and plan for the worst and I like having back up plans/systems (plural). Over the years, I've experienced a few flats that weren't repairable at all so having a repair kit only wouldn't be my preferred choice, especially if I'm driving far and to/through remote areas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’m eager to see Michelin’s Tweel (or something similar) roll out for automobiles.

I also like to be prepared for failures, but I prefer to minimize the likelihood of failures as much as I can. (e.g., reliable uninterruptible power supplies for computers and networking gear, chain-mail glove for use in higher-risk kitchen slicing, liquids and gels in freezer bags when traveling, refueling well before the indicator says “empty”)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
468 Posts
Oh, I understand your point/position - I probably wasn't clear enough on mine. I subscribe to the philosophies/mindsets of "two is one and one is none" (and "none is dumb") and "better to have it and not need it" than the other way around. For most things, I assume and plan for the worst and I like having back up plans/systems (plural). Over the years, I've experienced a few flats that weren't repairable at all so having a repair kit only wouldn't be my preferred choice, especially if I'm driving far and to/through remote areas.
...and that's one of the reasons I didn't buy the CR-V Hybrid.

Reactions: 421800 and Samuelx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello everybody,

As we all know, the Hybrid does not have a spare wheel/tire, which means it would be risky to drive it in a weak cell signal area (been there, done that with a Bolt).

I was trying to get the dealership to sell me an "officially approved" donut, but was told there wasn't such a thing as a dedicated CRV-Hybrid donut, which is probably true. But does a compatible donut exist?

I suspect I am not alone in this quest, and I would really love to hear you all's opinions.

Stay safe,
D
I just bought a full size rim and, since I upgraded my tires when I bought the CRV 6 months ago, I used one of the OEM tires. Got a tire cover, used straps to tie the new spare to the rear seats. Works for me.

·
Registered
'21 Touring Hybrid Lunar Silver Metallic
15 Posts
Internet makes us all smart today. took a few seconds to find. Please take a minute of your time now to complete your profile of your V that the staff asked in all the stickies (lol)
you were given a Spare tire repair Kit? all you need to know is your tire, rim, and series size

• Three Kit Options To Choose From
  • 18×4 Aluminum Alloy Wheel With 5×114.3MM Bolt Pattern.
  • Continental 155/85R18 Tire W/81 MPH Speed Rating (112M) With 28.5” Rolling Diameter For Safe Extended Vehicle Use.
  • The Modern Spare Kit Is Compatible With All Factory Wheel Sizes.
  • Enlarged Wheel Brake Caliper Clearance For Use With Large Modern Brake Systems.
  • Safe To Use For Replacement Of Front & Rear Tires With No Spacer Required.
  • Available Complete Kit To Quickly & Efficiently Replace A Blown Or Flat tire with all necessary tools included.
  • Complete Kit Features Our 3000 LB TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack With Secure Pinch weld Contact Point. Modern Spare 14” – 21” Telescoping Lug Wrench With 17MM, 19MM, 21MM, & 22MM Sockets and Large Disposable Tire Bag Included For Transporting Failed Full-Sized Tire.
  • All Kits Available With Heavy-duty, Nylon Reinforced Carrying Case To Neatly Store Your Entire Kit. A Great Alternative For Vehicles Without a Dedicated Storage Space.
The Right Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically Your Honda CRV Hybrid
We guarantee the Modern Spare Spare Tire kits to be the highest quality and best choice for your CRV Hybrid. Here is why:

To make your Modern Spare Kit incredibly simple to use, we designed an aluminum alloy wheel that is significantly lighter and more capable than a conventional steel counterpart. As a result, our spare wheel/tire combination is easier to handle. The low weight improves your CRV’s performance and fuel mileage when compared to a heavier full-sized spare. Also, to maintain excellent standards of quality, our alloy wheel meets or exceeds all the latest DOT highway safety standards. In addition, each spare wheel is equipped with a durable space-saving tire capable of traveling at highway speeds up to 81mph. The improved tire allows you to travel the needed distance to a repair shop you trust with your Honda CRV.

Better Tools-
To make our Spare Tire Kit better for your car, we considered the frustrations that come with typical spare tire tools. As an example, most scissor jacks are difficult to use and do not provide the needed leverage to easily lift your CRV. We solved this problem by developing a custom, low-profile scissor jack with a unique ratcheting handle mechanism. This handle provides the required leverage to easily lift your the car and lower it safely. We have carefully designed our jack to lift your CRV properly at the designated lift points.

If you find a stubborn or overtightened lug nut, our Modern Spare telescoping lug wrench provides nearly two feet of leverage. You’ll be able to easily remove and retighten your lug nuts to quickly get back on the road.

As a forethought, we included a full-size, thick plastic tire bag. Transporting a full-size flat tire and wheel can be messy. Therefore, placing the large plastic tire bag over the failed tire will help protect your car’s interio
I'd bet that 18" wheel voids the drive train warranty with those electric motors on the hybrid. Roof top carrier anyone???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.