Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so first off, I'm glad to be here and glad to meet fellow CR-V owners. I'm originally from Virginia but am living in Cuernavaca, Mexico at the moment. Anyway, to the meat of my post. My tires and rims were stolen last week with the CR-V left on cinder blocks. Needless to say, I'm am much lighter in the wallet after replacing all four tires and rims.

In order to up my security, I had a Viper security system installed today, but there's a small problem. I didn't notice at the shop because I closed my door before I started the car obviously, but whenever either the drivers door, left rear door, or right rear door are opened, my dash door indicator shows all three open. If I open the front passenger side door, it shows only that door. I'm assuming that the tech wired something wrong (obviously), possibly those three doors are now wired together? I'm not sure as I have no idea how they are wired to set off the indicator on the dash. It's a long weekend here, so I won't be able to go back and gripe until Tuesday, and it's really bothering me as the CR-V is brand new, 1k miles.

Is this something that should easily be able to be resolved? I'm assuming that a CR-V can be wired with a Viper alarm without messing up the door ajar indicator on the dash. Should the tech be able to fix this pretty easily? I only had this installed because I wanted something that would go off if there was sufficient force applied to the tire (car being jacked up, tire being taken off, etc...), and unfortunatley, Honda, at least here, only offers the alarm that goes off if something opens one of the doors. I had a locking bolt on the tires, I've since put two different on each tire (not right next to each other as Honda said that could be an issue. they also said any more than two could cause issues as the torque is different from a normal bolt). Insurance companies here won't cover rim and tire theft since it's so common, so I'd rather this didn't happen again.

Any easy fix for this error? Is it something that I could potentially fix myself or does it definitely need to go back to the people that installed the alarm? It's really not a functional issue with the car, but it really bugs me to see that little orange car with 3 doors open when I know it's just one that's open.

Thanks! Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still stuck here pondering. My limited knowledge of wiring (I've wired a ceiling fan before :)) tells me that there has to be a wire that goes from the door ajar sensor (that little black button) from each door. This wire has to go to a corresponding something or other that makes the lights on the dash illuminate when a door is opened. My thinking is that somewhere in the middle when they wired the alarm, they spliced the drivers side front door, and both rear doors together with all eventually separating to connect to their individual something or other. Since they're all spliced together allegedly, it's making all three doors appear open when any one of the three is open. If this is the case, I'm assuming the fix would be to unsplice those wires. The difficulty would arise if the cable that triggers the alarm in the case that the door is opened is connected to all three. In any case, I'm assuming that the Viper 1002 alarm system that I purchased is capable of wiring separately to 4 doors. Whatever the case may be, I'm not messing with this myself. I'll have to go back to the install place and fight it out with them. To be quite honest, they could disconnect the Viper from the doors for all I care. I only wanted the alarm for the shock activated alarm anyway. The Honda alarm which they left intact covers the doors opening very well.

Am I on the right track here or is my limited understanding making me look foolish? Any ideas would be appreciated. This could be a somewhat easy fix. I just don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming this is how the car was prior to the install. I would assume that if that's what the issue is, it should be fairly simple for them to correct. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm assuming this is how the car was prior to the install. I would assume that if that's what the issue is, it should be fairly simple for them to correct. Thanks for the input.
No, diodes are not part of the car, if it is what you are assuming. Each trigger has his own individual input in the MICU. Your installer tied together some of the triggers, that's a no no. They must be isolated with diodes. Your installer must installed them. This is a basic alarm installing technique/knowledge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. Now I just have to figure out how to explain that to the guy in Spanish. If they can't figure it out, I'm just going to have them disconnect the alarm from the doors. As I said, I only need the alarm system for the shock detection aspect. He obviously wired one of the doors correctly since the passenger door is fine. It irks me that I paid for this to be installed at a reputable establishment and probably would have had fewer issues getting a buddy to wire it. Thanks for the response. Makes more sense now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts