Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Need some help figuring out what went wrong with the power door locks on my 1999 EX. All three passenger door locks stopped working with the remote. At first they would work once a day (usually on cold mornings). Now they don’t work at all. I can’t imaging all three locks went out together in the same way though I’m sure it’s possible. I did install a new radio and back up cam about a month or 2 before this started. Tapped into the reverse light for the rear view cam to activate. Could it be related?

The drivers side front lock still works fine both unlocking and locking with the remote. The switch on the inside door handle has not worked since I got it. Any thoughts or a recommended diagnostic?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Can you disconnect the power to the radio & the rear camera see if the locks works again. If not do a reset & see what happens. Have you checked if you get power at the solenoid terminal when the key fob is depressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you disconnect the power to the radio & the rear camera see if the locks works again. If not do a reset & see what happens. Have you checked if you get power at the solenoid terminal when the key fob is depressed.
Thanks Otto. I’ll have to open up the dash to disconnect the radio and will try that tomorrow. I checked to see if there is power going to the actuator. I didn’t take the cover off and test with a multimeter, but I don’t hear any noise at the passenger door actuators when I push lock/unlock. I do hear a noise around the front drivers side lock when I manually lift/depress the physical interior lock switch in the back seat. Almost like it’s registering the passenger locks being opened/closed.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The 1997-2001 1st Gen CR-Vs don't have a backup camera.

They do have a known issue with the door locks. The controller for the locks is in the driver's door, and there is a bundle of wires that goes from the front edge of the door into the frame of the car, and then wires run to all of the lock actuators.

The problem is that over time the wires that pass through the frame get frayed and break.
There was another thread that discussed this, but I can't find it now. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1997-2001 1st Gen CR-Vs don't have a backup camera.

They do have a known issue with the door locks. The controller for the locks is in the driver's door, and there is a bundle of wires that goes from the front edge of the door into the frame of the car, and then wires run to all of the lock actuators.

The problem is that over time the wires that pass through the frame get frayed and break.
There was another thread that discussed this, but I can't find it now. :(
I did see something about the wire fraying in regards to the front driver door switch not working. Looks like I’ll be opening the dash and door to diagnose ?

Thanks for the tips. I’ll consult the manual to find actuator wires. Does the fraying usually occur in the door or in the frame?

I added the reverse cam with stereo swap. Locks were working for a few months after installing.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It occurs in the frame of the drivers door where the wires pass into the frame.

Looking under the dashboard isn't going to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts