Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE CR-V OF THE MONTH
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CR-V Automatic 4WD EX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The locks work fine when manually locking / unlocking; pushing or pulling the pin, turning the key, etc.

It's when I use the fob or the automatic lock / unlock from the ignition that it has intermittent issues. The lock pin won't fully go down when I lock the car remotely. I have to manually insert the key and finish turning it for the pin to go down. Sometimes it'll work fine, sometimes it won't.

I'm starting to think now it's the battery that isn't able to send enough voltage or something to do the actuator to fully engage or disengage the lock. My power windows are also very, very slow, sometimes it won't even close if the car hasn't been running for a while.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard or experienced something like this before I go out and replace the battery.
I bought some actuators ahead of time thinking they're the problem, but now I'm thinking they're not the problem since they wouldn't work at all if they're broken or make some really loud noise.

·
Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
27 Posts
I had the same problem with my crv, then my power locks stopped working. Could only lock them manually. The problem was wires in the drivers side door jam harness had come completely out. It's one of the few failings of this model, but it happens to a lot of them. I had to have a mechanic fix mine since I am not good at wires. But I would check there first.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had the same problem with my crv, then my power locks stopped working. Could only lock them manually. The problem was wires in the drivers side door jam harness had come completely out. It's one of the few failings of this model, but it happens to a lot of them. I had to have a mechanic fix mine since I am not good at wires. But I would check there first.
This is a common problem, but first do check your battery. They’ll test it for you at an auto parts store. Of course, they also want to sell you a battery 😉😂

my driver’s window is very slow but the rear windows work fine because they haven’t been used as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea where these wires would be?

Is it this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a common problem, but first do check your battery. They’ll test it for you at an auto parts store. Of course, they also want to sell you a battery 😉😂

my driver’s window is very slow but the rear windows work fine because they haven’t been used as much.
Same, my rear windows work way better. Did replacing the battery fix the front for you?
Otherwise, I'm thinking I gotta replace the window power motor assembly.

·
Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
27 Posts
Any idea where these wires would be?

Is it this?
Yes. The wires he is working on in that video. That is exactly what happens to those wires. The door pushes on them when it's fully opened and over time pulls the wires loose from the clip. The drivers door wires are the first to come out because that is the door that is used the most. But it can happen to the passenger side also. But the drivers door is the one that controls everything. As far as which wires go to what I think the diagram is in the service manual. I don't know them myself which is why I had a mechanic do them for me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Same, my rear windows work way better. Did replacing the battery fix the front for you?
Otherwise, I'm thinking I gotta replace the window power motor assembly.
I didn’t replace the battery. It’s four years old I think. The window is a lot slower when it’s cold out and faster now that it’s warm out. The battery probably has a lot less cranking power when it’s cold.

I got a window motor out of a rear door at the junkyard. I was going to try replacing it and see if it fixes it. I’m waiting until the car is off the road in a few weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn’t replace the battery. It’s four years old I think. The window is a lot slower when it’s cold out and faster now that it’s warm out. The battery probably has a lot less cranking power when it’s cold.

I got a window motor out of a rear door at the junkyard. I was going to try replacing it and see if it fixes it. I’m waiting until the car is off the road in a few weeks.
Nice, please follow up after you've replaced it. Curious to know the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. The wires he is working on in that video. That is exactly what happens to those wires. The door pushes on them when it's fully opened and over time pulls the wires loose from the clip. The drivers door wires are the first to come out because that is the door that is used the most. But it can happen to the passenger side also. But the drivers door is the one that controls everything. As far as which wires go to what I think the diagram is in the service manual. I don't know them myself which is why I had a mechanic do them for me.
Any chance you know where your mechanic got replacement wires / harness? Other than that guy in the video selling it. Checked my local auto parts stores, but they don't really carry this specific stuff, might have to go to the dealership or something.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is another of these first generation V’s maladies that is so common and so infuriating! Both our two 1998 V’s locks went completely out including the key fobs and and everything was useless. Like others have said, it because the harness in the driver’s door controls everything and it gets opened much more than the passenger’s side and where it bends, it gets weak.

I’m very sorry to say that I can’t give you an easy solution to this problem as I was lucky that my son who worked on vehicle electrical systems early in his career “sort of” fixed both our V’s problems. He cut into the main harness on the driver’s side and there were a few tiny wires that were broken. He reattached them with tiny wire ties as he couldn’t get his soldering iron tip into the door panel to reach them.

Even with the work my son did, they both still work a little wonky as with both you can lock and unlock the locks now from the inside driver’s button but only one now works with the remote even with reprogramming them several times which I know all about. At least the locks work now but with limitation’s.

Yeah, a common but infuriating problem with these Gen. 1’s are these locks and I’ve read where this problem has continued even with much later models. This doesn’t detract from how wonderful Honda got these Gen. 1 engines are so reliable that you still see so many of these on the road even with these common problems.

Are any of you old enough here to remember when you turned a crank on all of the doors of a car to roll the windows up and down? WOW, wasn’t that a hassle? 😅

·
Registered
2001 CRV EX Auto 4WD
27 Posts
Any chance you know where your mechanic got replacement wires / harness? Other than that guy in the video selling it. Checked my local auto parts stores, but they don't really carry this specific stuff, might have to go to the dealership or something.
He spliced new wires into the existing harness and clip. Wasn't cheap either he had to fix 9 wires that had come out.

As far as finding a replacement harness you could check these sites and/or contact a Honda dealer.

Those are the only sites that I know of that sell OEM Honda parts. Some others may know of more sites. If all else fails you can go to a junkyard and look to see if they have a low mileage 1 gen CR-V. Other than that you will have to do what I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts