Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird problem, very intermittent. but now infecting front passenger door.

I lock the doors, either with the buttons on the armrests or via the keyfob. But the actuator at the handle might slowly open up, over the course of 1 to 5 seconds. If I'm standing at the passenger door and push it closed, then pull the handle, it's likely that it will open - unlocked.

About the only thing that helps is to rapidly lock and unlock the doors (fastest from the buttons, too slow with the fob) several times, then leaving it in the locked position. Mechanism generally stays locked after this.

Weird thing is, when I try to manually push the actuator it feels like I'm pushing
against an electrical solenoid! Almst as if the car is powering the solenoid in the 'unlock' action, instead of 'lock' then at rest.

I've had this happen also at the rear passenger door, also intermittently, Hapens for a couple weeks, then the problem disappears.

I haven't had the chance to pull the door panel off the inside and try any electrical measurements, but as soon as I do, I'll report back.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,974 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem with Honda CRV door lock actuators.
I had the driver's side rear door lock actuator start unlocking itself.
Then two days later, I find my nephew's CRV is doing the same.
Replacing the actuator with the proper tools, took about 40 minutes.
Check youtube videos on how to do this. It will give you a game plan
And make it easier to know what needs to be done.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,976 Posts
SOMETHING is binding in the lock mechanism. Pull off the inner door panel and investigate.

Failure to do this WILL damage the actuator(s).

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,974 Posts
For me, the binding was in the actuator. If you know how to fix the actuator then great.
I do not. So, I opted to replace it. Bought the replacement off Amazon.
Some actuators come with the metal link to the door handle
The cheaper ones do not. The plastic piece just pulls straight out along with the metal linkage.
Then it gets press fit onto the replacement. Make sure to keep orientation the same as the old one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Weird problem, very intermittent. but now infecting front passenger door.

I lock the doors, either with the buttons on the armrests or via the keyfob. But the actuator at the handle might slowly open up, over the course of 1 to 5 seconds. If I'm standing at the passenger door and push it closed, then pull the handle, it's likely that it will open - unlocked.

About the only thing that helps is to rapidly lock and unlock the doors (fastest from the buttons, too slow with the fob) several times, then leaving it in the locked position. Mechanism generally stays locked after this.

Weird thing is, when I try to manually push the actuator it feels like I'm pushing
against an electrical solenoid! Almst as if the car is powering the solenoid in the 'unlock' action, instead of 'lock' then at rest.

I've had this happen also at the rear passenger door, also intermittently, Hapens for a couple weeks, then the problem disappears.

I haven't had the chance to pull the door panel off the inside and try any electrical measurements, but as soon as I do, I'll report back.
There was a recall on door actuators at some point, I had mine replaced in my 2008 sometime around 2015.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts