Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2013 LX and Cannot for
the life of me get the drain bolt off! I’m using 17mm, have tried multiple ratchets, regular wrench, nothing budges it. I even double checked a diagram to make sure I wasnt having a brain fart and trying to loosen the wrong bolt.
I used to do oil changes with little issue in the first couple years. After a few dealer changes the drain bolt seemed fused on and I stripped the head trying to get it removed. Got a replacement, took it to a local shop and they put it in on during their change (and obviously it the stripped one off too). Figured hey, this ones not stripped, I’ll be able to get it off, but no.

Are they just torquing past the limits of my strength? I’m a healthy 6’1” 192lb so I’d like to think I’m not super weak. Anyone have luck with any certain tools to get it removed? Think a standard power drill with a 17mm socket would help or just burn out the drill motor?

·
Registered
2013 EX
41 Posts
Sounds like it's just put on too tight. It can happen.
Is your car up on a rack when you tried, or are you laying on your back with the car just barely off the ground-if so you may not be able to put enough power on the end of that wrench to break it loose?

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
750 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
427 Posts

·
Registered
5 Gen: EX 1.5T
108 Posts
Or, get a Pela vacuum pump and feed the tube in via the dipstick and save the hassle or another damaged plug.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
Go back to the shop, tell them, problem solved.

You do not have neighbors by you to ask. I use a Monkey wrench, get a new one ( you got one already), simply use a larger one , the rachets are the issue.

Salt was on mine and Yep what I had to do. I been there and done that

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
I'd go buy a a big breaker bar and you'll get the plug off. When you are done with the oil change torque the plug to 35 ft lbs and call it good.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Another method is to use a small scissor jack, position the tip of the ratchet bar on the top of the jack and slowly raise the jack until it spins free the bolt. Essentially using the weight of the car to open the bolt

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
Another method is to use a small scissor jack, position the tip of the ratchet bar on the top of the jack and slowly raise the jack until it spins free the bolt. Essentially using the weight of the car to open the bolt
I got yelled at for doing that method, and a scissor jack is going to slip way faster then the floorjack.

thinking out loud, got a 2x4 and drill bit. got myself a breakerbar Lol knowing a Pipe is Best, say off the floorjack or maybe something around the house.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
I would never use a monkey wrench (or pipe wrench) on a drain plug...but I haven't changed my own oil in years.

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
I would never use a monkey wrench (or pipe wrench) on a drain plug...but I haven't changed my own oil in years.
the stripped one, yes, and replace with the new.

·
Registered
529 Posts
fishycomics said:
..yelled at for doing that method, and a scissor jack is going to slip way faster then the floorjack.
Definitely not the standard but in case of emergency removal, works well. Have opened up several Honda ATF HFC2 Fluid bolts this way at remote locations.

My favorite method is to use a DeWalt 20V Torque Impact Wrench. It opens up any bolt and we use them in rotating tires on all our Hondas in less than 10 minutes. Hand tighten bolts and then use this tool to set precise bolt torque

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
My cheater bar when neccessary is a 3 foot long steel pipe that fits over my ratchet handle. Works very well and cost effective. When reinstalling the drain plug either tighten to specs or hand tight and a good pull. Always works for me.

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Registered
2007 CRV
733 Posts
Now here comes the bad news, ....
The oil drain bolt being stuck could mean a few things
One possible thing is the threads were cross threaded
Another thing could be the oil pan is aluminum and the steel bolt has taken out the threads
So the combination means they are binding.
Take out the bolt and the aluminum threads will come out
Crush washer is gone. Or mean nothing at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
well then simply order a new Oil pan, Be done fiddling. 3 foot breaker bar under will give less from for leveredge my thoughts out loud

·
Registered
2013 CR-V EX-L AWD
31 Posts
Just to make sure you are at the right place, did you remove the cover and 4 bolts and see the filter and drain plug like shown here? The drain plug inserts horizontally, and rotates counter-clockwise to remove.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts