Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda surprised after fruitlessly searchiing the forums here to find no mention of Dri Wash. Anywho ...

Got waylaid by a guy selling this stuff out of his car trunk on Saturday as I wiped down my CR-V after a run through the local no-touch carwash. I was intrigued - to a point - but skeptical. Got some literature from the guy, but kept my wallet in my pocket.

After googling the name I discovered what a HUGE cottage industry is out there selling this product ... and yet, I can't recall ever hearing about it before.

And after finding one claim that Dri Wash is high in KEROSENE as an ingredient, I'm even more skeptical.

Anyone ever try this stuff??

Is waterless washing a gimmack??
I imagine in some areas of the country and for some condo/apartment-living do-it-yourselfers dry-washing might be a sensible option.

Any other recommendations?

P.S. I'm not OCD in the personal car-care arena. Wash it once a week if the weather's not crappy. And I'm shamefully negligent in the polishing and waxing thereof ...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use it all the time, great stuff and easy to use. It was developed for dry climates with water shortages. Get him to demo it, he will! It is expensive but it lasts real well. Dry wash twice a year should do and it is easy to apply. Hal:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use it all the time, great stuff and easy to use. It was developed for dry climates with water shortages. Get him to demo it, he will! It is expensive but it lasts real well. Dry wash twice a year should do and it is easy to apply. Hal:D
What do you do between "dry washes"??
Just wipe with a dry cloth?

How long have you been using it?
Does it really contain significant KEROSENE?
Is that a concern for a car's finish??

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
KErosene is what's taking the dirt off. Ever had a lot of paint get on your car and wipe it off with Gasoline or carb cleaner? It works, yes, but it's not very good for the paint. Now, if you use it gently and small amounts, it may not hurt.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dri Wash

I have used Dri Wash for many years, it does a nice job but it does not last very long. I doubt if it contains kersosene because it is water based. It goes on easy but it does not like to come in contact with water as it is being applied, it will streak terribly. It goes on easy but depending upon what type of wax that is on your car the first coat may loook greasy but a second coat will solve that. It is very expensive but it last a long time you just mist it on.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I never dry wash, have lots of water. Some do though in areas with water shortage. They use a magic cloth and a little water? I use a California duster for dust however.:D Hal

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh, and I have used it for about 15 years! I believe it came out in the 80's. It is sold by the Direct Sales system.Hal

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know much about this particular product, or waterless washes in general. But I know enough to know that they are not for me. From what I understand, these are relatively harsh cleaning agents that, if used often, could damage your car's finish. Also, I simply don't believe that they provide as much lubrication as regular soap. Finally, many of these products contain oils and polymers that are designed to "fill-in" any scratches in your clear coat. So, while they claim to be "Scratch free" or whatever, all they are really doing is masking the problems that they cause.

If you want to experiment, pull your car into the garage, or a dark shaded area, and take a look at your paint under a 500 (or more) watt halogen work light. Defects, light scratches, spider webbing, and swirls will be very apparent under this light.

Then wash your car with the waterless product and dry. Follow that with a spritz of Isopropyl Alcohol and wipe dry. Compare the condition of your paint prior and you will see the true impact. You will probably notice significantly more light scratches and marring caused by dirt being dragged across your paint without proper lubrication. If your paint is already very clean, or if your car is already heavily swirled, then you probably won't notice as much.

If you live in an area with water restrictions, or if you live somewhere that's too cold to do a normal wash, try going for a "rinseless" wash. Basically you mix the wash in a bucket of water, take a wet wash-mitt to your dry car, and gently wash, rinsing your mitt often. These work through chemical "encapsulation". The polymers in the wash will actually "capture" dirt and suspend it in the wash solution until you wipe it dry with a soft cloth.

These are not fool-proof, and there is a significantly increased chance of marring or light scratching, but they can be used safely with the right technique.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dry wash danger.

The grit and grime on a dirty car is very, very abrasive. Even if you use a wet and soapy mit or sponge on an un-pre-rinsed car, you are draging the dirt around on the finish. It is important to rinse as much of the dirt off as possible before rubbing on the paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never dry wash, have lots of water. Some do though in areas with water shortage. They use a magic cloth and a little water? I use a California duster for dust however.:D Hal
Hal, you've got me confused.

Earlier you mentioned you "use it all the time".
Do you or don't you??

Thanks all for the input. This is not sounding like something I need or will like.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes I have used it for years. I use water when washing however! I have lived in areas without water shortages, so I always use water. I think I confused you when I said I don't dry wash, sorry! Hal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I have used it for years. I use water when washing however! I have lived in areas without water shortages, so I always use water. I think I confused you when I said I don't dry wash, sorry! Hal
Yeah ... You threw me there.

This doesn't sound like something I'd be intereted in using.

How does the vehicle get cleaned up between applications of Dri Wash?
Do you just dry wipe it?

I just can't imagine that working too well after a rain or even during the green dustings we get during pollen season.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use dry wash as a easy and fast detailing twice a year. I car wash with a bucket of water, brush and hose! I use other products as well IE mothers products :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I originally bought some of this stuff to use on the motorcycle. It seems to work just fine. Probably expensive to use on a whole care.

My personal opinion is that it's probably a little harder to work with than a plain old wax like TurtleWax or NuFinish, but since it's basically clear, it doesn't leave any white residue in the cracks and corners.

al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts