Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start my post, I know there will be a few people who comment about this but yes, I am allowed to have these emergency lights. Also this is more so a car question than a modification question so that's why I posting in this section.

Afternoon!

So... I recently purchased some Whelen tracers. For those of you who don't know what they are, they're basically just lights that span the running board of a vehicle.

Whelen makes vehicle specific for these lights but Honda is not one of them because they're only made for vehicles that are typically upfitted to be police vehicles. I ordered brackets for a 2020 Ford Police Interceptor utility because I figured that would be the closest to working. Well i was wrong haha. Anyways...

I am using flat braces to mount the lights as there is literally no where under the 2015 CRV i can mount them where they can still be effective. This leads me to my only option of mounting them to a lip in the frame along the running board which I am not happy about. I did try and find somewhere to mount up but there would be no way of accessing the other side of the bolt. My question is if it's safe to drill here? There will only be 3 holes at 3/16th size on the 2 sides of the vehicle filled by grade 8 bolts. My second question is what type of drill bit would you recommend? Most likely going to be going with cobalt.

Here is a picture of where I am talking about right under the door frame

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,579 Posts
Kurbel is correct, best not to drill into the lip. The lip functions as a structural stiffener. There is a better way that honda provided. Just inside the lip there are threaded bolt holes for the running board brackets. That would be the ideal point to mount the bracket for your lights. You will find a pdf file with the instructions for the running board installation at this link.

There are several gromments along the inside lip that would be perfect for running the wires for your lights.

·
Registered
2013 honda crv ex-l 2.0 auto awd twilight blue.
21 Posts
Kurbel is correct, best not to drill into the lip. The lip functions as a structural stiffener. There is a better way that honda provided. Just inside the lip there are threaded bolt holes for the running board brackets. That would be the ideal point to mount the bracket for your lights. You will find a pdf file with the instructions for the running board installation at this link.

There are several gromments along the inside lip that would be perfect for running the wires for your lights.
agree

1 - 5 of 5 Posts