Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to this forum and was wondering if you can help me out. I have a 2002 CR-V EX which I bought used. I looked under the hood to see if everything was alright and noticed that the reservoir tank was empty. I filled it up with coolant, 50/50 pre-mixed, topped it off. Everything was fine until a few days ago when it was real cold and windy so I was using the heater kinda high, the next morning I noticed there was a slight drip on my driveway and found out it was coolant. I went underneath and saw that the leak was a small drip that hadn't dried off yet. I wiped it clean and kept checking it all day and it seemed to go away. The next few days I drove around the leak never came back. Then yesterday the weather was real cold and windy like before so I had the heat turned up high, the following morning I saw the leak again, wiped it dry underneath and drove. The leak stopped again, this time I checked the engine bay and never noticed any signs of a leak and by the time I went underneath the crv the leak had been dried up from the engine heat. Now I noticed this has only happened when the weather got real real cold and I turned up the heater to a level stronger than normal. I have done some searching and have read about the coolant needing to be "burped". Is this the case because I really couldn't see any signs of where the leak is coming from. I checked the oil dip stick and the color is the way it should be, not murky white or some discoloration that some people have alluded to. I opened the reservoir tank and noticed that the coolant level is right where it should be, between the max and min level. I know that in different weather conditions coolant expand and contracts and that messes up the res levels or sometimes causes leaks because of the expansions and contractions coming out through the hoses or seals. Can anyone tell me what can be causing it or is it a matter of properly burping the air out. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,544 Posts
It is indeed likely that you have a poor seal on a hose clamp. Here's how to find it:

Start the car cold, but run it only two minutes. This will cause pressure to build up in the cooling system. But the engine will not be warm enough to "expand" and seal itself!

Then get under the car and look for signs of the leak. (You may have found it already, but look around for more drips)

Once you find the leaky connection, install a new hose clamp of the proper size. Use the screw-clamp style, not the factory squeeze type (which are designed to speed assembly on the production line).

You probably don't need to disconnect the hose.... :cool: Just move the existing clamp or cut it off so that the new clamp can do its thing on the rubber hose.

Once you correct the leak, monitor the coolant level for a few days...as the air purges the level could drop. One way to "burp" the system is simply to rev the warmed-up engine over 4000 RPM a few times, either while driving or in neutral. The increased velocity of the coolant will purge the air.

PS: the Second Generation V used blue Honda coolant, this is an HOAT type. Unless the pre-mix you bought is an "all makes all models" blend, try and use the correct type (available from Honda dealers).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts