Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black fabric interior in my '18 EX. The driver door arm rest looks like it was specifically designed to attract and display any bit of skin cells that drop from my left forearm and elbow.
Aside from removing the door panel and replacing it (Complicated and expensive) does anyone have any ideas how avoid this? (I know, wear long sleeves. But it's 95 in the shade so that's a no go now.)

Big thanks!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I keep a package of baby wipes in center console and wipe that thing once a week
My wife is a hand/elbow/sunscreen fiend and it comes right off and ‘replenishes it’ back to black

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, baby wipes! And to think that I thought they could only be used on baby’s tender behind.
I now use them for almost everything. Thanks for noting another job they can do.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a black fabric interior in my '18 EX. The driver door arm rest looks like it was specifically designed to attract and display any bit of skin cells that drop from my left forearm and elbow.
Aside from removing the door panel and replacing it (Complicated and expensive) does anyone have any ideas how avoid this? (I know, wear long sleeves. But it's 95 in the shade so that's a no go now.)

Big thanks!!
Sorry you have issues with this...I would typically attempt to make a slight joke about this but not this time...can you buy a 'small' lint roller to clean the area?

Small, pocket/purse sized rollers are available.

I'm curious to see what others options are mentioned.

Best to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try.
And believe me, in the grand scale of this world, this "problem" is laughable!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I laughed because I have the SAME problem. Also, in the summer, sunscreen turns that entire area white - as well as the center console. WHY did they choose to use this material and not the smoother rubbery material they use in other spots!

I find sunscreen does damage fabrics permanently if not removed quickly - so baby wipes are safe in this? My passengers laugh but I place a tissue on that spot before sitting down, if I'm super sweaty or sunscreeny ?

·
2,215 Posts
You might find this to be overkill or beyond the realm of normal, but I'll throw it out anyway, just in case. I am no upholstery genius, but I am a skilled leather worker, with the tools and experience for a project like this. The material you have there is cheap vinyl. I would replace it with actual leather. But then, I made a new leather steering wheel cover for my F250. There are pics of that here somewhere. You can buy the needed leather off eBay for fairly cheap, or just use actual naugahyde, which is much higher quality than this OEM stuff. It requires the ability to do some hand stitching, and to be able to disassemble the door panel for installation. You'd need to be able to remove the old stuff and fit the new, gluing it in place as you go. An alternative to this would be to remove the armrest temporarily and take it to an auto upholstery shop and have them do it. All I'm saying here is that there are ways. Another thing you might try instead is to find a vinyl or leather coating/treatment that stops the problem. I don't know if such a thing exists, but it might. Anyway, if you do find a solution, let us know. It is definitely an interesting issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts