Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver Information Interface "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" selection is gone

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian1970 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 CR-V EX-L with no navigation. When I first got the vehicle, I saw the "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" icon when I stepped through the DII selections. I was able to also select that when using Waze with Android Auto and got the turn by turn direction displayed on the instrument panel. I recently noticed that the "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" icon is gone. I thought something had gone wrong with mine. I looked at my daughter's 2018 EX-L, it is not there either. I had the software updated by the dealer for the recall, same with my daughter's. I think the update probably took that feature away for vehicle that does not have built-in navigation. The manual does say "if equiped". Wonder if anyone noticed that.

#2 ·
I have a 2017 CR-V EX-L with no navigation. When I first got the vehicle, I saw the "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" icon when I stepped through the DII selections. I was able to also select that when using Waze with Android Auto and got the turn by turn direction displayed on the instrument panel. I recently noticed that the "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" icon is gone. I thought something had gone wrong with mine. I looked at my daughter's 2018 EX-L, it is not there either. I had the software updated by the dealer for the recall, same with my daughter's. I think the update probably took that feature away for vehicle that does not have built-in navigation. The manual does say "if equiped". Wonder if anyone noticed that.
Interesting. There is an option on the head unit where you can selectively show or hide some icons... Maybe it's there?

#3 ·
Yeah...update probably removed it.. since it's not supposed to be there unless you have the native Nav system. It IS one of the perks of actually having the native NAV in the CRV.. so I can see why they may have disabled it for anything other then an activated native NAV installed.

So.. for a while.. you and your daughter actually benefited from a "bug" in the Head Unit. Can't say that about any other bugs in the Head Unit that I am aware of. :)

#7 ·
My USA 2017 EXL without Nav has had the “TTD&Compass” Icon since new 02/17. I have had an earlier unnumbered update in June 2018 and the latest TSB 19-066 and it is still there.

I have never selected it but Android Auto uses the Countdown Dashboard display when a turn is approaching automatically. It was an option when I turned on AA the first time back in 2017.

I would contact the dealer regarding your loss.

BTW: Using DII I also turned on the “Average Speed and Elapsed Time” Icon which comes in really handy on road trips.

#9 ·
My USA 2017 EXL without Nav has had the “TTD&Compass” Icon since new 02/17. I have had an earlier unnumbered update in June 2018 and the latest TSB 19-066 and it is still there.

I have never selected it but Android Auto uses the Countdown Dashboard display when a turn is approaching automatically. It was an option when I turned on AA the first time back in 2017.

I would contact the dealer regarding your loss.

BTW: Using DII I also turned on the “Average Speed and Elapsed Time” Icon which comes in really handy on road trips.
Thanks BobInPa for your confirmation on your vehicle. I forgot to mention that mine is also the US version. I got it in April 2017. The software was updated once by the dealer. Forgot when. One thing I did not try is to reset everything to the Factory Default to start over. I am holding off on that. By setting the head unit back to factory default will wipe out all my settings including my Bluetooth setup. May try that when I have some time to play with it.
It is not a big deal. Just that it bothers me when something used to work and now it is not working. I don't know if my daughter's had that icon on her 2018 before the update. I did not look.

#5 ·
Yes, there is an option to add and delete icons. I went through that in Setup - System - Configuration of Instrument Panel - Add. The "Turn by Turn Direction and Compass" icon is not there.
Ok, last idea... Try a hard reset of the head unit by holding down power for a few seconds. You could also do the same thing to the car by disconnecting battery. I doubt it will work but it's the easy way to ensure its not a glitch. Maybe others can check too?

#6 ·
Yes, I had done a reboot of the head unit by holding down the power button for a few seconds. It did not make any different. May be others with an EX-L can take a peek see if they have that icon. My daughter's 2018 behaves the same way.

#12 ·
Wow. Thanks so much for your info, bandit400. Just reinstalled Android Auto, plugged the phone in, boom, the "Turn by Turn Direction & Compass" icon showed up. Started Waze up, turn by turn is now back. So, all along it was the problem with Android Auto on the phone. I did not reinstall Google Maps or Waze, just Android Auto.
Thanks again for your information.

#13 ·
Thanks BobInPa for your confirmation on your vehicle. I forgot to mention that mine is also the US version. I got it in April 2017. The software was updated once by the dealer. Forgot when. One thing I did not try is to reset everything to the Factory Default to start over. I am holding off on that. By setting the head unit back to factory default will wipe out all my settings including my Bluetooth setup. May try that when I have some time to play with it.
It is not a big deal. Just that it bothers me when something used to work and now it is not working. I don't know if my daughter's had that icon on her 2018 before the update. I did not look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.