Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the driver side door jammed. I drove home, parked, turned the crv off and then tried to open the driver side door with the inside handle but the door didnt open. I tried to lock and unlock multiple times to see if it was jammed but the door was jammed. I had to turn on the car and then turn it off and that seemed to unjam it. Has anyone else experienced this? I am confused, i just bought it brand-new not even a month ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe it locked automatically and you didn't notice when it happened? The manual button that moves for locking and unlocking isn't all that distinctive in how it looks. I remember older cars had a little orange sticker on the moving piece to indicate the door was unlocked. Before assuming some system failed and trying to diagnose a real problem, first eliminate the obvious. There is automatic locking and unlocking of the doors in this vehicle by default from the factory. You can turn off either or both if you don't like it. I hate it and disabled both automatic locking and unlocking in mine within 15 minutes of driving it off the dealer lot. In the 2019 online owner's manual PDF, it's on page 364 for EX and above, or pages 145-147 for the LX. And I would presume these instructions would likely work on all gen5 units, not just 2019. Good luck. I hope this solves your problem.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Maybe it locked automatically and you didn't notice when it happened? The manual button that moves for locking and unlocking isn't all that distinctive in how it looks. I remember older cars had a little orange sticker on the moving piece to indicate the door was unlocked. Before assuming some system failed and trying to diagnose a real problem, first eliminate the obvious. There is automatic locking and unlocking of the doors in this vehicle by default from the factory. You can turn off either or both if you don't like it. I hate it and disabled both automatic locking and unlocking in mine within 15 minutes of driving it off the dealer lot. In the 2019 online owner's manual PDF, it's on page 364 for EX and above, or pages 145-147 for the LX. And I would presume these instructions would likely work on all gen5 units, not just 2019. Good luck. I hope this solves your problem.
On the gen5 (at least those with autolocking doors), the doors unlock when you open the door with the handle from the inside. No need to actually unlock anyting. You can choose via settings whether all doors unlock when the drivers door is opened, or make it more restrictive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On the gen5 (at least those with autolocking doors), the doors unlock when you open the door with the handle from the inside. No need to actually unlock anyting. You can choose via settings whether all doors unlock when the drivers door is opened, or make it more restrictive.
You have to pull it twice or only once?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar happening once. After a snow/freezing rain condition a thin layer of ice built up under the external door handle, not allowing it to completely return to the closed position. It wouldn't let me open the door from the inside (key fob locking also would not work). As soon as I cleared the ice layer everything worked properly. I take care now to make sure this is clear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pull to open. No need to double pull.
Since they provide other settings and configurations, I suppose it's fine, but it sounds like it could be a safety hazard. Personally, I like to drive with the driver door unlocked, but some people like it locked and don't want it to open unexpectedly. A double pull ensures the action is deliberate.

It's like the reverse of a rear door child lock... only open from the inside, but not from the outside. When I was a kid, I refused to ride in the back seat of a car if the driver insisted on locking me in. My parents never had a problem with it, but a couple other people did. It was never too hard to roll down the window, pull the outside handle, and let myself out as soon as I realized what was happening. Then the screaming match would ensue, typically filled with a lot of high-pitched curse words and name-calling.

I suppose my independent streak of wanting to be responsible for my own safety and always being offended when my personal judgment is being doubted is rather consistent throughout my life. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar happening once. After a snow/freezing rain condition a thin layer of ice built up under the external door handle, not allowing it to completely return to the closed position. It wouldn't let me open the door from the inside (key fob locking also would not work). As soon as I cleared the ice layer everything worked properly. I take care now to make sure this is clear.
This might be it. We had freezing rain and that could have cause the outside door handle to not return fully to its rest position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I never drive with the doors locked. I feel it is a danger in a serious accident. If you or your passengers are unconscious, and the doors are locked, a rescuer will have a bit of a bother trying to get you out. Locking the doors does nothing to secure the door in an accident. The lock simply disengages the outside handle. If you feel threatened, lock the doors when needed.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I never drive with the doors locked. I feel it is a danger in a serious accident. If you or your passengers are unconscious, and the doors are locked, a rescuer will have a bit of a bother trying to get you out. Locking the doors does nothing to secure the door in an accident. The lock simply disengages the outside handle. If you feel threatened, lock the doors when needed.
I get that you personally do not want your doors locked when you drive (your vehicle, your choice), but your pretext that it's because it is a hinderance to rescue workers is flawed. Rescue workers are more likely to have to actually deal with a jammed door, rather then a locked one... and frankly.. they are well trained to deal with both. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
But are you?? A wreck and fire, though rare is possible. Are you able/prepared to attempt to break a window to extricate an unconscious person. First responders may be many minutes away. That's all I wanted to point out. If locking the doors makes the doors less likely to fly open in a crash, then yes it might be better. I believe thaz Volvo and maybe BMW have that capability, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
But are you?? A wreck and fire, though rare is possible. Are you able/prepared to attempt to break a window to extricate an unconscious person. First responders may be many minutes away. That's all I wanted to point out. If locking the doors makes the doors less likely to fly open in a crash, then yes it might be better. I believe thaz Volvo and maybe BMW have that capability, but not sure.
A locked door indeed does provide more protection in a crash condition. How? simply put.. in any collision... any manner of external contact could get applied to the outside door handle, potentially causing the door to be opened during an accident. Not that this would happen in all cases, but manufacturers design for worst case safety conditions, which is also why they design the inner door handles the way they do (to maximize ease of use, and minimize possibility of accidental opening).

As for your example of a bystander acting as early responder... you can absolutely bet that if I was that early responder and saw an unconscious person inside a locked vehicle.. I would indeed break the glass to access the door handle inside IF I saw that they were in immediate jeopardy. In my case.. I always carry a glass breaker tool in my center console in all of my vehicles... because if I am ever in an accident and my vehicle ends up in the water, I may not be able to actually open a door no matter what... so the best practice is to break the window with a glass breaker in order to get out of the vehicle and not drown. On the other hand, if they were conscious and appeared to be safe where they are.. I would under no circumstances open the door and physically move them... but I would try to interact with them through the window to confirm their status.

·
Registered
262 Posts
back to the topic and not the fire department booshiiiit

we had slight ice the other day and it happened to us iwth the drivers door.
I cleaned the car but ice must have gotten into the handle when i opened the door.

either way back to normal now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today the driver side door jammed. I drove home, parked, turned the crv off and then tried to open the driver side door with the inside handle but the door didnt open. I tried to lock and unlock multiple times to see if it was jammed but the door was jammed. I had to turn on the car and then turn it off and that seemed to unjam it. Has anyone else experienced this? I am confused, i just bought it brand-new not even a month ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in full agreement with you. Some years ago I rented a car that automatically locked the doors. The first thing I did when I got to my destination was to get the manual out and turn off that feature. Today, it is easy to search online for most any feature/process for any vehicle in order to make a change, especially if one has a rental car with no manual in the glove box. The rental car I had last year did have a manual in the glove box.

The other feature I hate with a passion is having the horn honk when I lock or unlock the vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts