Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some threads earlier that the rd1 has wiring in the door that could go bad. Can I replace the wiring or is it one piece with the motor? Would I need to change the regulator as well?

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
18 Posts
When the wiring goes bas it due to tension of the harness that runs between the door and jamb. If it's moving then it's probable getting power. Have you tried lubricating the window track? If that doesn't help, I would test the voltage at the window motor plug before I try to tackle the wiring harness.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,863 Posts
I read some threads earlier that the rd1 has wiring in the door that could go bad. Can I replace the wiring or is it one piece with the motor? Would I need to change the regulator as well?
Are you sure it's an electrical problem? The tracks that the windows have to slid trough can get filthy and sticky. I use WD40's dry lubricant with PTFT. I take a cloth satuated with it and clean the tracks out. When it dries it leaves a thin flim of teflon behind but nothing sticky to collect dirt.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If the window is rolling up slowly, most likely your window actuator is corroded inside. The actuator is a motor and gearbox--the gearbox gets corroded after a number of years and the window will roll up really slowly. I found it easier to buy a new actuator than to try and mess around with the gearbox, which is a mix of plastic and metal parts, some of which could break easily or be difficult to reassemble. I've had this problem in a few older Hondas over the years.

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the window is rolling up slowly, most likely your window actuator is corroded inside. The actuator is a motor and gearbox--the gearbox gets corroded after a number of years and the window will roll up really slowly. I found it easier to buy a new actuator than to try and mess around with the gearbox, which is a mix of plastic and metal parts, some of which could break easily or be difficult to reassemble. I've had this problem in a few older Hondas over the years.
I don’t see “actuator” on a part list. Is this also the “window motor”?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could also try squirting some silicone spray into the your windows vertical glass channels. Might help some.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could also try squirting some silicone spray into the your windows vertical glass channels. Might help some.
Ditto on quality silicone spray! I've done this for years and it cured 99% of slow window complaints. Of course, as these units age that 1% builds a stronger case for cleaning and lubing the regulator. Use straw with the spray, roll down window, lube run channels. Run window up, down and reapply once more. As far as wiring harness to door and the plug in mate in the door, these are solid and you rarely see issue with them. Like that earlier noted 1%, it's possible on occasion to have the ingress of corrosion or a pin in the mate plug backing out of the plug. Good luck

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
915 Posts
yes this shoulf be done on all windows and sunroof once or twice a year from purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts