Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having a problem with the drivers side front door lock. The door is locked and I can’t get it unlocked. The key won’t open it, the button won’t unlock it (it will unlock and lock the rest of the doors just not drivers door or trunk) and you can’t manually push the lock to unlock it. The only place for a key to unlock any of the doors on the exterior is the drivers door. I had to call a locksmith to unlock the car for me. I was thinking it might be the door lock actuator but obviously I have to get the door open to replace it. How do I get the door open? I was able to pull the door panel back a little bit I am very limited on the room I have to work with. I saw someone else had this problem with a back door and he was able to remove the entire panel and break the actuator. What would be the best way to get about getting the door open? It’s a 2009 Honda CRV EX

·
Registered
590 Posts
I’m trying to understand, the door could not be unlocked at first, but a locksmith unlocked your door, but you can not get it open?

admittedly, my experience in replacing Honda door actuators is small. When they have failed, it’s compromised the key unlock button and the door unlock buttons. It has never prevented me from pulling the lock tab/bar up, nor has it prevented me from pulling the inside or outside door handles to open the door.

this is really weird to me. I hope you report back as to what you find happened.

i have heard of this happening to some internet poster in the distant past, except that they tried to do the door lock actuator themselves and erred by not reattaching the connecting rods correctly. They also reported taking their drivers seat out to take the inner trim off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m trying to understand, the door could not be unlocked at first, but a locksmith unlocked your door, but you can not get it open?

admittedly, my experience in replacing Honda door actuators is small. When they have failed, it’s compromised the key unlock button and the door unlock buttons. It has never prevented me from pulling the lock tab/bar up, nor has it prevented me from pulling the inside or outside door handles to open the door.

this is really weird to me. I hope you report back as to what you find happened.

i have heard of this happening to some internet poster in the distant past, except that they tried to do the door lock actuator themselves and erred by not reattaching the connecting rods correctly. They also reported taking their drivers seat out to take the inner trim off.
The locksmith was able to pump the door open enough to use a rod to hit the unlock button. When he hit the unlock button on the inside the rest of the doors unlock, excluding the from drivers and the rear hatch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel sorry for you man, you’ve probably spent all day working on your door. Hope you got it open.

i found this on YouTube, i don’t know if it will help you or not...

I tried this and it didn’t work. Since my CRV is a 2009 the lock mechanism is different. It’s more electronic. I did order a new on and took it apart to see what I needed to do for it to open and there is no was for me to get the cover completely off because there are two screw on the back that I can’t get to. I’m running out of ideas I think I might end up taking it to the shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. I was finally able to get the door open. I took all of the screw out to the lock actuator trying to find a way to manually release the door. In the process of doing that the gear inside the actuator on the bottom fell out. I didn’t think anything of it. I just kept trying to manually disengage the lock. I was unsuccessful. So I put the gear back in and plugged in the electrical connector (just to see what it would do) and I heard the actuator make a noise. So I pulled the lock on the handle back and it unlocked. I was finally able to open the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts