Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 and 1999 CR-V have a loud hamster wheel like noise coming from the left side rear brake. I use these CR-V's on a mail route and the brakes get heavy use. If you can imagine hearing this noise 600 to 700 times a day regardless of the radio volume it might drive you crazy. The noise always comes from the left side but has never happened on the right. I have tried different brands of brake shoes and drums, including the Honda's brand bought from a dealer, but the noise always returns. Each time I change out the brakes and start with brand new shoes and new or resurfaced drums, the sound goes away for about half my route but then it returns same as before. I've tried brake grease, new hardware and I've even changed out the aftermarket cylinders for Honda brand cylinders and it didn't make a difference. The only difference between the right and left sides that I can see is the shoe wear pattern. The right side shoe wears more to the top or bottom whereas the left wear more in the middle of the shoe. I hope that makes sense. Is there anything else I can try?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If those vehicles are 4w drive, make sure it isn't just your rear diffy fluid that needs changing. Do some slow tight wheel-lock type turns on pavement and see if you get a similar sound. If you do, it could well be that its fluid needs changing. If you change it, use only Honda DP-2 fluid. (I am not sure why you cannot use any other fluid, but that is what most say is the 'only' fluid to use)
If not, disregard.
Can't help on the brakes.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have noticed on my 2000 rust can build up on the lip where the backing plate and the drum meet at the outer edge. That rust buildup can cause a rubbing noise. Next time you take things apart make sure that lip is clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts