Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
I have a 2001 LX 4wd 5spd V..

I've noticed some noises that, well don't seem to fit typical honda quiet operations that i'm used to....

I've noticed that there is a metal clunking when i egage the trans in 1st to 2nd. And a clunk when i reverse. These noises are amplified when the car is on a hill. I've been underneath trying to see a broken mount or something.. but it all looks good. Could the U-joints need replacement? Any ideas?

Also, is it typical for a B20 to use a quart of oil or more between changes at only 113,000miles? Or do i have a big problem coming...?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hey all-
I have a 2001 LX 4wd 5spd V..

I've noticed some noises that, well don't seem to fit typical honda quiet operations that i'm used to....

I've noticed that there is a metal clunking when i egage the trans in 1st to 2nd. And a clunk when i reverse. These noises are amplified when the car is on a hill. I've been underneath trying to see a broken mount or something.. but it all looks good. Could the U-joints need replacement? Any ideas?

Also, is it typical for a B20 to use a quart of oil or more between changes at only 113,000miles? Or do i have a big problem coming...?
The u-joints could be worn. Rockford Driveline produces a replacement set for the otherwise "non-serviceable" propellor shaft's u-joints.
http://rockforddriveline.com/
They had issues with the initial sets and I have heard that the new ones are improved.

Oil usage seems high. Did it suddenly start doing this? What oil do you use and how often do you change it? Any leaks? Signs of smoke at startup, etc.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The u-joints could be worn. Rockford Driveline produces a replacement set for the otherwise "non-serviceable" propellor shaft's u-joints.
http://rockforddriveline.com/
They had issues with the initial sets and I have heard that the new ones are improved.

Oil usage seems high. Did it suddenly start doing this? What oil do you use and how often do you change it? Any leaks? Signs of smoke at startup, etc.?
So by "non-serviceable" you mean i can't press them out and install new ones? i'd have to get a whole new shaft?... did you get any part numbers? i looked at the site and couldnt find any honda parts...maybe im just overlooking something.

Yeah, well i just picked the V up used. I changed the oil at 11900 and its already a half qt low... i used castrol syntec blend 5w30. I use it on all my cars. No leaks, its dry as can be with no visual signs at the exhaust or motor. It does sound a bit tappy tap.. maybe my valves need adjustment.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Honda says non-serviceable. Call Rockford directly.

Definitely do a valve adjustment ASAP. Chances are the previous owner didn't adjust them. Also, you are due for a timing belt replacement if not already done. It is 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda says non-serviceable. Call Rockford directly.

Definitely do a valve adjustment ASAP. Chances are the previous owner didn't adjust them. Also, you are due for a timing belt replacement if not already done. It is 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.
Damn honda... maybe i'll call my honda tech buddy on that one...

Yeah i have dealer paper work showing the timing belt was done. I guess i better get a chiltons for the valves then... thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.