Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, hopefully you weren't hurt during the accident. We get messages that our radar and other systems are not able to perform and I suspect it alerts us because ice is potentially covering the sensors and not much else. Do you feel as if the car just lost it's awd capabilities during this accident? Ours is not great in any type of turning situation where snow and ice are invoved unless we are at low speeds, it seems strange for an AWD vehicle tbh. It has a very light feel to the front end and this is the problem in my opinion, we always lose traction in the front, the front kicks out, either to the left or right and the awd system seems unable to correct the course unless I or my wife completely let off the accelerator, it feels weird and unstable. I mistakingly said that I had Bridgestone tires, they are actually BF Goodrich winter T/A tires(ice radials without studs) and I don't think that they are the problem.
Luckily, the only injury I had was a very bruised left shin. And yes, what you describe is exactly how it felt. Once the dash lit up, the carseemed to lose all capabilities and began to slide. In .5 inches of snow! Other cars drove past me very easily, including my friend who was in a Nissan Juke AWD. This crash was surprising, frightening, and highly disappointing. This was our third Honda AWD/4WD vehicle, and it will also be our last. Back to Subaru we go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What tires are installed now? I have a 08 crv the tires that came with my car are bridgestone duelers worst tires in the world I'm from the boston mass area so are snow people here.i ended up getting 2 sets of tires general altimax rt43 which I love and winter time I have a set of blizzaks non studded love them.crvs from dealer new have bad choices in tires.i got 20 I out of duelers with warranty got all 4 new tires for free again and 20k out of second set free again with rotations and alignments all free.and 1000 of complaints about them and the continentals that come on them are horrible get a new set of tires with good ratings in an all season tires.pick a good tire and get s new set like I have general altimax rt43..
My tires were OEM, and I am now far more concerned about that. The first time this happened, about a year ago, I posted here, asking if anyone else had experienced similar loss of control as I had after the dashboard lit up. The dealership said the radar obstruction code could have caused a malfunction with the TCS, and that the software update I brought to theiir attention should remedy that. People on this forum were less than kind. I was basically laughed off the thread. Everyone told me the slipping I expereinced was absolutely driver error due to panicky driving and/or a lack of snow tires. A moderator actually said he was closing out the thread to prevent the OP from further embarrassment. Nice, huh? But here's the thing: I live in Southern California in a community that has more snow maybe two or three times per year. We don't know anyone who drives with winter tires in our area. Neither the dealership or any tire stores have ever recommended a second set of tires for winter. You'd think they would if they wanted to double their business, right? And why should we have even considered them? We have never needed them before! Our current 2013 Ridgeline 4wd drove flawlessly in the same storms, and our previous 2010 Pilot Touring AWD and 2005 Forester never caused us to worry. BTW, the collision inspector said the OEM tires were in good shape and more than likely not a factor in what happened. They are pulling codes and checking with Honda this next week regarding ongoing electrical issues with the 2017 model.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
22 Posts
My tires were OEM, and I am now far more concerned about that. The first time this happened, about a year ago, I posted here, asking if anyone else had experienced similar loss of control as I had after the dashboard lit up. The dealership said the radar obstruction code could have caused a malfunction with the TCS, and that the software update I brought to theiir attention should remedy that. People on this forum were less than kind. I was basically laughed off the thread. Everyone told me the slipping I expereinced was absolutely driver error due to panicky driving and/or a lack of snow tires. A moderator actually said he was closing out the thread to prevent the OP from further embarrassment. Nice, huh? But here's the thing: I live in Southern California in a community that has more snow maybe two or three times per year. We don't know anyone who drives with winter tires in our area. Neither the dealership or any tire stores have ever recommended a second set of tires for winter. You'd think they would if they wanted to double their business, right? And why should we have even considered them? We have never needed them before! Our current 2013 Ridgeline 4wd drove flawlessly in the same storms, and our previous 2010 Pilot Touring AWD and 2005 Forester never caused us to worry. BTW, the collision inspector said the OEM tires were in good shape and more than likely not a factor in what happened. They are pulling codes and checking with Honda this next week regarding ongoing electrical issues with the 2017 model.
[/QUOTE]
What were your oem tire that came mine were bridgestone duelers I had 10k on my duelers and they were horrendous in the snow and ice slipping sliding losing controle not being able to stop and continental's were bad too.so far best all season and affordable tires great in summer fall snow was general altimax rt43 ,quiet,smooth,hard sidewall,no tire roll.and snow ice traction was a 8.5 out of 10 until they reach 67k then I bought a whole new set

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't see how radar anything can interfere with driving. It shouldn't, and drivers shouldn't rely on it. Occasionally I read of someone complaining they wrecked their car, or nearly wrecked it, because their nanny system didn't work as it should. Well, you know what? The only "nanny system" we need is what is between our ears; all of those wrecks could have been avoided if people weren't tailgating, or driving in a matter not suitable to conditions. Not saying that happened with the wrecked CR-V above (heck, anytime you're near any sort of incline in winter weather, anything can happen), but for the most part, we just have to double down on our winter driving techniques and be extra cautious.

For winter in those conditions, snow/ice tires (not "snow rated" tires) should be used. True snow/ice tires have an abundance of small sipes to create grip, something all-season and snow-rated tires do not have.
I agree the safety systems might lead to a false sense of security, and people definitely need to stay vigilant and cautions at all times. All of these features are a double edged sword. My big concern is that the radar obstruction debilitates more than the ACC and LKAS, which, of course, I don't even use unless I am highway driving. I don't even think that's possible. The safety features I do expect to work well in snow and ice would be TCS. If that is inadvertently being compromised by the electrical system shutting down ACC and LKAS, then there is a real danger to driving this vehicle. That is what I am suspecting is going on.

As for winter tires, I am definitely now looking into them. However, we live in Southern California in an area that gets light snow only a couple times per year. We don't know anyone who uses them in winter here. You'd think the dealership and tire stores would recommend them, if only to increase their own business. We have driven the same roads, in the same stormy conditions, in our other 4WD and AWD vehicles with absolutely no issues. It's never even been a concern for us.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
This accident is exactly why all these new systems are such a bad idea. The vehicle is dependent on them and take over driver control, when something acts up you have no way of using driving skills to compensate.

I have taken classes on these late model systems and told the instructors and such right in front of 50 people that this tech is the stupidest idea ever. Nothing should take control away from the driver and require extra driver actions to compensate for them. GM rep and such didnt like that especially when the entire room of techs agreed with me.

To the crv owner that went in that ditch, glad your ok. I would definitely be going after Honda with a lawyer over this. Their system failure damn near killed you. I love my Hondas but their newest vehicles are a nightmare and dangerous. Pretty much applies to most new vehicles these days. Need to offer vehicles without all the bullshit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
What snow tires do you have on this, now totaled, CR-V?
We have all season tires on all of our vehicles. The insurance inspector said the tires are still in good shape and more than likely were not a culprit. They are pulling codes because they suspect it is an electrical issue.

BTW, winter tires are not even suggested to people here. We live in dry Southern California and rarely get snow. When we do, it's only a few inches. Our other AWD/4WD vehicles have always sufficed. We've never had any situations arise that made us feel winter tires were warranted. In fact, I watched several cars successfully handle the same street that my car could not. My friend even did great in her Nissan Juke, and she is terrified of driving in snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What were your oem tire that came mine were bridgestone duelers I had 10k on my duelers and they were horrendous in the snow and ice slipping sliding losing controle not being able to stop and continental's were bad too.so far best all season and affordable tires great in summer fall snow was general altimax rt43 ,quiet,smooth,hard sidewall,no tire roll.and snow ice traction was a 8.5 out of 10 until they reach 67k then I bought a whole new set
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure. I'll check with the inspector this week and let you know. Might have been those Bridgestone. Ugh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This accident is exactly why all these new systems are such a bad idea. The vehicle is dependent on them and take over driver control, when something acts up you have no way of using driving skills to compensate.

I have taken classes on these late model systems and told the instructors and such right in front of 50 people that this tech is the stupidest idea ever. Nothing should take control away from the driver and require extra driver actions to compensate for them. GM rep and such didnt like that especially when the entire room of techs agreed with me.

To the crv owner that went in that ditch, glad your ok. I would definitely be going after Honda with a lawyer over this. Their system failure damn near killed you. I love my Hondas but their newest vehicles are a nightmare and dangerous. Pretty much applies to most new vehicles these days. Need to offer vehicles without all the bullshit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you very much. I am grateful to be okay, as well. The Honda frame seems to have held up very well and kept me in good shape. I know that's the most important thing here.

The more I have been researching, the more I'm agreeing with you about these safety features. We purchase cars with the latest technology thinking they are going to keep us safe on the roads. But do they? You are right: nothing should take control away from the driver. I love the ACC feature when I'm on the highway, but I will think twice about using it again. I'm definitely considering getting an older SUV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have the OBDII read for error codes and conditions. If there was a critical failure of a system.. it should be there. I would expect both law enforcement and your insurance would do this anyway.
Yes, they are pulling codes. I have forwarded repair history and tsbs to the insurance company.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We have all season tires on all of our vehicles. The insurance inspector said the tires are still in good shape and more than likely were not a culprit. They are pulling codes because they suspect it is an electrical issue.

BTW, winter tires are not even suggested to people here. We live in dry Southern California and rarely get snow. When we do, it's only a few inches. Our other AWD/4WD vehicles have always sufficed. We've never had any situations arise that made us feel winter tires were warranted. In fact, I watched several cars successfully handle the same street that my car could not. My friend even did great in her Nissan Juke, and she is terrified of driving in snow.
(From your first post) : I believe you. I, too, am not new to snow and ice driving. This picture shows what happened to me...

IT'S simple TRACTION! Your OEM tires are NO match whatsoever for snow and ice.

It's entirely YOUR fault that your vehicle was incapable of handling the the road conditions.

You can purchase snow rated tires that are suitable for year around use (Nokian and Michelin to name two).

Our CR-V is FANTASTIC in the snow (way better than our past three CR-V's) and we use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's - they are appropriate for our conditions - again YOUR CR-V had improper tires for the conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
(From your first post) : I believe you. I, too, am not new to snow and ice driving. This picture shows what happened to me...

IT'S simple TRACTION! Your OEM tires are NO match whatsoever for snow and ice.

It's entirely YOUR fault that your vehicle was incapable of handling the the road conditions.

You can purchase snow rated tires that are suitable for year around use (Nokian and Michelin to name two).

Our CR-V is FANTASTIC in the snow (way better than our past three CR-V's) and we use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's - they are appropriate for our conditions - again YOUR CR-V had improper tires for the conditions.

You can post as much crap as you wish, but it YOUR DAMN FAULT that your vehicle is off the road, not that I expect you to understand YOUR responsibility in the least.
I know you weren't replying to me here but I am having traction issues with my CRV and I am running BF Goodrich Winter T/A tires(made by Michelin I think) and that's not solving our problem. We also had issues on wet pavement with the OEM tires, The vehicle feels light in the front, it's hard for me to describe correctly but we have to be very cautious with this SUV on snowy and wet surfaces. I think that both of us are decent winter drivers, we kind of have to be because we basically live in an area with rural roads and we have some form of winter conditions from mid-November until late April.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know you weren't replying to me here but I am having traction issues with my CRV and I am running BF Goodrich Winter T/A tires(made by Michelin I think) and that's not solving our problem. We also had issues on wet pavement with the OEM tires, The vehicle feels light in the front, it's hard for me to describe correctly but we have to be very cautious with this SUV on snowy and wet surfaces. I think that both of us are decent winter drivers, we kind of have to be because we basically live in an area with rural roads and we have some form of winter conditions from mid-November until late April.
Right! You have the same issues occurring and you have it equipped with winter tires! Despite others on this forum who have decided I'm an idiot, I have a gut feeling this issue is not simply about the tires. I came on here to tell you I know what you are talking about. There is something else wrong with my vehicle. Just because others haven't experienced it doesn't mean you and I and our spouses are making this up. It's amazing how rude people can be on here, isn't it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Right! You have the same issues occurring and you have it equipped with winter tires! Despite others on this forum who have decided I'm an idiot, I have a gut feeling this issue is not simply about the tires. I came on here to tell you I know what you are talking about. There is something else wrong with my vehicle. Just because others haven't experienced it doesn't mean you and I and our spouses are making this up. It's amazing how rude people can be on here, isn't it?
That's the way it always is on the internet, it's easy to be a keyboard warrior because there are no consequences for being an asshole. The traction issue was my first post on this site so I guess that some people here assumed I just showed up to be a troll. There have to be others that are experiencing similar issues. We also have a heater issue which I didn't post about, that one seems fairly common, we have an issue with our calls being muffled but we were told by Honda Canada that Honda was working to correct the cell phone issue and it was not exclusive to us either. I leased the Honda because of the great reviews that every single auto publication seemed to give it, I think that they left out a few things. We do love the roomy interior and the gas mileage has been consistently good, the CVT works great and is a pleasure to operate and several other cool features, especially the LKAS, it comes in handy especially for training our daughter as new beginner driver.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Several owners have reported terrible handling in wet or snowy conditions. The solution for at least some of these owners was to get a 4 wheel alignment.

Our CRV does fine, but my Civic had a very odd and unsettling feeling on gravel roads and slushy snow.

I was told by a couple of shops it was due to alignment and the wide tires. They said a 4 wheel alignment and narrower winter tires would help. I sold it before having the alignment done.

·
Administrator
3,297 Posts
I had no idea that BFG made snow tires. Only used Blizzaks with any satisfaction. Did once try a Goodyear snow tire Which was "recommended " and it was awful. Just terrible, No grip. Very few reviews of BFG snow tires on Tirerack.
What would a place like Canadian Tire mount on your car?

If it's snowing etc I definitely recommend that you do not use any of the adaptive cruise control systems. Snow loves to build up on the sensors and disables them. Unfortunately, in my experience, it's also slow to report any degradation of system functionality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are a lot of reviews on youtube about this matter 2014 to 2017 losing traction and awd not working.they would reflash the system and figure out what went wrong but it all over youtube full videos of the awd not engaging when It should they had full proof so it's out there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I had no idea that BFG made snow tires. Only used Blizzaks with any satisfaction. Did once try a Goodyear snow tire Which was "recommended " and it was awful. Just terrible, No grip. Very few reviews of BFG snow tires on Tirerack.
What would a place like Canadian Tire mount on your car?

If it's snowing etc I definitely recommend that you do not use any of the adaptive cruise control systems. Snow loves to build up on the sensors and disables them. Unfortunately, in my experience, it's also slow to report any degradation of system functionality.
A Very popular tire here in Canada, quite common to see them, we bought them directly from the Honda dealer as per their recommendation.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts