Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am planning to drive from New York City to Toronto in a couple of weeks.
I have a 2017 CRV EX AWD.
I was wondering if I would be ok with the original tires that came with the car or should I go for winter tires?
I have 37k miles on the car...mostly highway.
Also what documents do I need to carry for my car other than the registration and insurance. I have a lien on the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
What does the weather forecast look like?

As for "papers" for the car, registration and proof of insurance should be fine.

Do you and everyone you're traveling with have a passport?

https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/plan/border-crossing/

If you are a citizen of the United States over the age of 16, you will need a Passport, a Passport Card or Enhanced Driver's Licence (only issued by certain states) to enter Canada.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just a few thoughts:

Are you taking any pets?
Will you have any booze on board?
And guns with you?
Taking any food with you?
Do you have a police record, especially involving weapons?
You need to check with Canada and the area where you will be traveling to see if they have any tire chain requirements. Also check to see if they have any tread depth requirements like Colorado has in places..."three-sixteenths inch minimum tire tread requirement". https://snowbrains.com/traction-law-effect-colorado-i70/

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring
33 Posts
Hi

I am planning to drive from New York City to Toronto in a couple of weeks.
I have a 2017 CRV EX AWD.
I was wondering if I would be ok with the original tires that came with the car or should I go for winter tires?
I have 37k miles on the car...mostly highway.
Also what documents do I need to carry for my car other than the registration and insurance. I have a lien on the car.

Thanks
If you will be driving in Quebec during your travels you must have winter tires on all four wheels. In Ontario winter tires are not mandated but are highly suggested. Personally, I would not attempt a trip from NYC to Toronto at this time of year without winter / snow tires all around.
FYI, I live about 60 miles Northwest of Toronto and have made the trip you're suggesting, although not in winter.
Registration (ownership) and insurance certificates should be all the paperwork required for your car.
As someone else mentioned, leave any firearms at home. Also, marijuana is legal here but you may have problems returning to the US if you even admit to ever having tried it.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
530 Posts
Contact your insurance company to find out about your policy's effectiveness in the Great White North, also you may need an insurance card that's valid there. Also, to get back in to the USA you need a passport. Maybe NY's "enhance driver license" will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you will be driving in Quebec during your travels you must have winter tires on all four wheels. In Ontario winter tires are not mandated but are highly suggested. Personally, I would not attempt a trip from NYC to Toronto at this time of year without winter / snow tires all around.
FYI, I live about 60 miles Northwest of Toronto and have made the trip you're suggesting, although not in winter.
Registration (ownership) and insurance certificates should be all the paperwork required for your car.
As someone else mentioned, leave any firearms at home. Also, marijuana is legal here but you may have problems returning to the US if you even admit to ever having tried it.
Thanks.
I am not carrying any firearms or marijuana.
Looks like it's worth investing in a snow tire.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also know what your health insurance will or will not cover. Some policies will not cover you outside the USA.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
As a Canadian (currently living in Rochester NY) PLEASE buy winter tires. No matter what route you take, there is a significant chance for very bad - TREACHEROUS- driving conditions. Highway 401, QEW and other 400 series highways can be a nightmare. FWIW, I only buy Nokian winter tires. (Also for FWIW I don’t think that Quebec requires winter tires on vehicles of non-residents, though absolutely they are required for residents.)

No, don‘t bring a firearm or other weapons. Legally You can bring one bottle of liquor or two bottles of wine for personal consumption in Canada. The same is true (per adult) for returning, though this can be loosely enforced by US border services personnel. I recommend wines from Ontario, both Niagara and (especially) Prince Edward County. Really. The best pinot noir I’ve ever had outside of a Nuit Saint George Burgundy was from Prince Edward County. Crown Royal Northern Harvest (exceptional rye) is only $28 CDN at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) and Forty Creek whisky is excellent. Trius wines are always a safe bet, often exceptional value.

Bon voyage

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Also know what your health insurance will or will not cover. Some policies will not cover you outside the USA.
Most plans treat emergencies as in network. I know this from experience. But yes, check.

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
787 Posts
I'm with everybody voting for winter tires. Northern States and Canada may turn bad in a blink now.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
43 Posts
I think many of you are overhyping the winter tire idea.

My dad has lived in Central Ontario for 30 years, and never once has he ever had winter tires on his car, and never once has he ever said he felt he needed them. He lives out in the woods, where snow can pile deep and be tricky. He has the 2017 LX.

I have a 2018 EX, and I travel up there twice each winter without winter tires. I have driven in every imaginable weather up there, and although it’s not a picnic, I’ve always remained on the road.

Would winter tires be best-case scenario? Of course..., but plenty of people do just fine without them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am a Dual citizen of USA and Canada and live in eastern PA. I was born in the Toronto area and moved to the USA in my mid 30's. All my family still lives in the Toronto thru London area and I travel there several times each year. In fact I will be going up to visit on Dec 23rd. I do not have snow tires and would not buy them just for trips to these areas. However, I do have good all weather tires and might think differently if I planned to drive any back roads outside of the populated areas with major highways. If you planning to visit what is known as cottage country or small rural towns you might want snow tires just for the benefit of not getting stuck in the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have 37K on the original tires and you wonder if those tires will be OK in snowy conditions? At that mileage, the OE tires are probably ready to be replaced anyway! If you don't get snow tires, then at minimum you should replace them with all season tires that are "3 Peaks" rated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most plans treat emergencies as in network. I know this from experience. But yes, check.
I did .... My plan only covers emergency... however travel insurance is pretty inexpensive...about 30 bucks for 2 people so I will buy that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be driving to Quebec for the Winter Carnival in February.
I am driving from the Hudson Valley area of southern NY.
I just picked up four Michelin Latitude X Ice tires for my ‘13 LX.
I live in a hilly area and normally run winter tires December to March.
I have a set of steelies so there is no re-mounting twice a year.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just a few thoughts:

Are you taking any pets?
Will you have any booze on board?
And guns with you?
Taking any food with you?
Do you have a police record, especially involving weapons?
You need to check with Canada and the area where you will be traveling to see if they have any tire chain requirements. Also check to see if they have any tread depth requirements like Colorado has in places..."three-sixteenths inch minimum tire tread requirement". New Winter Traction Law Now in Effect On Colorado’s I-70
Many years ago, my wife and I took a trip to the NE. We lived in IL then and drove into Michigan and into Canada as Niagara Falls was to be our first stop. I recall how unfriendly the lady was at the border was as we entered Canada. Of course she asked about cigarettes, etc and was not what one would call friendly. She sure didn't make us feel very welcome.

Nowadays, if I travel by car, I always have my Glock 19 with me and that would preclude me from driving through Canada for sure, or Mexico, or New Jersey, or New York, etc. That's OK, though, as I do my best to avoid adding any dollars to the economy of any country or state where my Glock is not welcome. That is one reason I find living in Arizona to be so enjoyable.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, we crossed the Canadian/US border 4 times on a trip a year ago. In all crossings we found the Canadian border guards to be very friendly and helpful with lots of suggestions on things to see and what roads to avoid. At a fueling station this guy walked up to us and I thought "oh no, someone looking for money" like we experience in the USA . But he started to speak he introduced himself as a mayor and welcomed us to his town, told us about local restaurants, grocery stores and campgrounds and asked if there was anything he could help with. We found all of the Canadians to be nice.

Coming back into the USA on our crossings we thought the agents were brisk, unfriendly.

We have been in every state in this beautiful nation of ours and about half of the Canadian Provinces, and I can't wait to visit the rest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts