Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 Honda CRV and whilst driving, I hear/feel (not sure if higher speeds or higher gear) a woomp woomp woomp sound (kind of like having flat wheel). I'm planning on booking the car in for a wheel alignment and wheel balance to see if that's the cause.. but in-case it isn't, Im going to have to do some fault finding.. one in particular is checking the drive shaft..

Now, my question is..

1: Is it a paint to remove/install the drive shaft?

2: Will I generally need to replace anything for the drive shaft just because I removed it (even if there's nothing wrong)

3: Is it possible to drive the vehicle with the drive shaft removed? ie. will I be driving FWD only, or does the car need the RWD. I considered removing it then driving normally and seeing if the sound appears?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Easy to remove and reinstall. Nothing will need to be replaced unless it is broke. Yes you are just fine driving it as a FWD.

You will need a 12 point socket for the bolts. Thats the only thing you may find to be a pain.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,154 Posts
also, take care to support the center bearing; mark the orientation of the front and rear flanges.

Noisy universals are common as the cars age. If the noise stops without the driveshaft (propshaft) installed, find a local 4WD shop to replace them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys :) .. what's odd though is the car is only 143,000km (88,800miles) .. wouldn't think that was many K's for a 10yr old car ... what normally would go or need replacing in a car of this age/km's (besides usual service parts) ?

Noisy universals are common as the cars age.
Even if you feel the womping through the car? or mainly just the noise ?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,154 Posts
If you remove the propshaft, a bad u-joint will feel 'notchy' when turned at an angle. A good u-joint will turn smooth. This issue is not unique to a V.

++++++++++++

Regards maintenance, substitute MONTHS for the Service Schedule's MILES, and that is what you need to do.

Besides fluids and filters, the sway bar end links can CLUNK. The tailgate warning lamp could blink intermittently. Check the brakes, and lubricate the slider pins especially in the rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Carbuff2 :)

Are you sure it is not a bad wheel bearing(s) that causing your noise/problem?
I checked the front wheels... couldn't feel any play .. but haven;t checked the rear yet.

Must say, it's a pin not knowing which area of the vehicle the noise is coming from...

·
Everything in Moderation
8,154 Posts
You won't feel any play with the sealed wheel bearings that Honda uses.

If it IS wheel bearings, a bearing noise (hum) would increase/decrease on curves, when the bearings are 'stressed/un-stressed'.

Gen2 CR-Vs have been known to require rear wheel bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts