Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Devastated. Drove it hot because of a coolant leak without noticing and blew my 3rd Cylinder headgasket. Wondering if anyone has done the same and has any advice. I live in Phoenix, AZ and am looking for a mechanic as well as anyone with a similar story. Did the engine ultimately need replacing? I have the '09 4 wheel drive with 160k miles.

Premium Member
2009 CR-V EX-L (no NAVI)
Welcome! Sorry to hear this on your first post.
How have you determined the blown head gasket, cylinder compression check, dye added to the radiator, etc?
Where did the coolant leak from, was it the dreaded metal heater pipe rusting out?
Obviously the head will have to come off and see where you go from there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Haven鈥檛 figured out the source of the leak but I refilled the reservoir with water and it pretty quickly came out below the front left headlight. Pulled the spark plug and it was wet and got a P0303 cylinder 3 misfire code.

Premium Member
2009 CR-V EX-L (no NAVI)
Haven鈥檛 figured out the source of the leak but I refilled the reservoir with water and it pretty quickly came out below the front left headlight. Pulled the spark plug and it was wet and got a P0303 cylinder 3 misfire code.
OK. Looking quickly at our '09, could be a blown bottom hose or leaking radiator core?
Do you have a compression gauge to check all four cylinders?
I'm not a trained car mechanic, just trying to think this through :unsure:

Registered
2007 CRV AWD
Sorry to hear about your troubles
Wet from coolant or wet from fuel?
Have you done a compression test and/or leak down test?

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like you could get an engine from this guy

If you want to turn it over to a mechanic, this is the best in Phoenix
I appreciate the recommendations, following up on both of them. Hoping the engine doesn鈥檛 need replacement but we鈥檒l see.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Circling back to finish this off. I had her towed to a mechanic in south Phoenix. They confirmed the 3rd cylinder head gasket was blown and decided the engine would survive so they did the head gasket, they did the timing chain and replaced the coolant line which had a visible rust hole right where it met the metal housing at the bottom of the coolant tank. The car is from Maryland right on the Chesapeake bay so hopefully the desert air will help preserve it. The repair was $2080 altogether at JLA auto. I鈥檒l update if my engine blows up in the next couple years but for now she鈥檚 running well.

Premium Member
2009 CR-V EX-L (no NAVI)
Circling back to finish this off. I had her towed to a mechanic in south Phoenix. They confirmed the 3rd cylinder head gasket was blown and decided the engine would survive so they did the head gasket, they did the timing chain and replaced the coolant line which had a visible rust hole right where it met the metal housing at the bottom of the coolant tank.
Thanks for the update. Good to hear they found the leak.
With the cost of parts and labour these days, that bill sounds reasonable to me :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts