Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 CRV-EX has just displayed the CEL/DTC P1456. It is supposed to be in the Evaporative Control System somewhere. It is not a loose fuel cap as one of the suggested possibilities. I am not sure where besides the one under the hood the others are located. A Google search only shows various Honda models which have them located in different places on each model. Does anybody else have an experience with this code on a similar year CRV (2002-2006)? My Haynes manual says it needs to be diagnosed by dealers with special scanning equipment. REALLY? I have never had a vehicle that I couldn't use my Actron scanner to find the cause. It does not cause a driveability issue to this point.
JIM

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
p1456 is a leak. And here's lesson one in 2 things:

The shop you went to is idiots and doesnt have a proper scan tool BUT p1456 isnt even something a scan tool can diagnose anyway.

Needs a smoke machine to find the leak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
The dealership diagnostic tool has the capability of actuating all the evaporative valving one-at-a-time while maintaining pressure (or vacuum) on the system.

If you aim the Parts Cannon at this issue, :Darn: you will probably spend more money trying to fix it than if you had it properly diagnosed.

That said, there is nothing wrong with visually checking the rubber tubing going to the gas filler, and the evaporative components in the box that resides just to the left of the rear differential. (Some folks had issues due to road debris damage at that control box...it hangs low under the car.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts