Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't find much discussion re: this topic. Most responses were very anti-E-15 saying that the Honda engine was not designed for its use to which I say "bunk." E-15 is a higher octane fuel and I've used it without any problem in my 2017 CRV EX for four years now (and used it in a Ford Escape prior to that.) Gas mileage difference is unnoticeable. Fuel is .20/gallon cheaper than E-10 most of the time. I use it roughly every other tank, but sometimes I might use three tankfuls in a row. Again, no noticeable difference whatsoever.

On a side note, I've also used it in a 2007 Craftsman riding lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton engine from time to time. No problems.

·
Banned
252 Posts
That's a nice story, but E-Zero is better. In some situations the higher octane might be useful, but not in our CRV's or your lawnmower. Other members from this site have done testing and have found that our little engines are tuned to operate better on 87 octane.

Ethanol is more hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs more moisture over time than non non-ethanoated gasoline does. This can be a problem, especially in cases where the fuel might sit for a few months without being used. Ethanol is also more corrosive and harder on rubber and plastic parts. In my, and many other people's opinion, the lower the amount of ethanol the better.

Just because you haven't noticed any problems in your car or lawnmower, doesn't mean that the stuff is good for it. I could write a story of how I haven't noticed any problems from using the wrong viscosity oil in my lawn mower and only changing it out every 2-3 years (true story), but I realize that just because I haven't had any problems (yet), it doesn't mean that how I'm treating the engine is good for it.

But hey, I've been saving all of this money by not changing the oil as often as I'm supposed to, so obviously I must be smarter than everyone else. (y)

·
Registered
5 Gen: EX 1.5T
287 Posts
In the UK, it’s either E10 or E5 as far as I can see. Japan gave notice to car manufacturers back I think in 2006 that ethanol levels would be increased and that engine manufacturers would need to ensure that engines were compliant.
Expect we all hope that our cars engines are fully tested to run without seal or other damage due to the ethanol increase.
Got to expect less MPG as a result of this increase in ethanol. Will be interesting to read about people adding fuel additives and their results/effects

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
While you might save money on a per gallon basis you're not likely to save on a per mile basis.
Ethanol simply has less energy content then gasoline.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,962 Posts
That's a nice story, but E-Zero is better. In some situations the higher octane might be useful, but not in our CRV's or your lawnmower. Other members from this site have done testing and have found that our little engines are tuned to operate better on 87 octane.
You are correct that higher than 87 octane will give little or no improvement in fuel economy or engine performance for a gen5 CRV. That has been tested, demonstrated, and notes compared over recent years here in the forum.

You are incorrect that non-ethanol blends are better for a generation 5 CRV. It has been tested and documented in recent years that the 1.5T engine actually runs more neutral fuel trims on E10-E15. More neutral fuel trims are indicative of the vehicle running at centerline of design, which is ideally right where you want to be. It would be more accurate to say that modern Honda engines are specifically designed and tuned to work with 87 octane fuel and anywhere from 0 to 15% ethanol in the blend. Fuel trims indicate that the engine is actually centerline designed and tuned by Honda assuming E10 is the fuel. And since all fuel systems in modern vehicles have closed loop fuel systems to prevent any vapor loss into the ambient air, likewise, moist air cannot penetrate a closed system and condense inside the fuel tank.

The only downside to ethanol is that it is lower energy per unit so you may see just a bit less fuel economy than if you ran on 87-E0. As for concerns about it attracting moisture... that is actually a good thing as it will purge any water moisture out of your fuel tank and carry it forward as part of the alcohol molecules into the combustion chambers. In fact, as I recall in the old days before E-blend fuels, one of the main ingredients of fuel additives to remove water moisture from yur fuel tank was... ethanol. In other words, refined gas from oil does not scavenge moisture from your fuel tank, but ethanol does. So I see the E10 blends as a plus in this regard.

The original motivators for adding ethanol to fuel were to stretch oil supplies, but that was many years ago. Now days the motivators is that it actually is an octane booster, and burns clean so it has replaced most earlier fuel additives to adjust octane and other blend factors in the gas.

The biggest thing about fuel though is only put top tier fuels in your vehicles, and Honda specifically documents this point in their owners documents. Low grade fuels can cause a host of issues in modern direct injection engines and should be avoided.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
What happens here is a station will have two tanks, one 93 octane 100% gasoline and the other 85 octane E-10.
If you select the "Mid" grade you get a mix of the two, with perhaps 5% ethanol.
85 octane is sold here as "Regular", supposedly because of the altitude, but I don't see how altitude could matter to a turbocharged engine.
The Hybrid's engine is naturally aspirated, but I still don't burn 85 octane fuel.
So I burn the 88 octane "Mid" grade Exxon fuel, though I'll buy Shell if I'm in Colorado where I can get it.
I stopped burning supermarket fuel, I simply do not know what it is, and they won't tell me.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
The Euro-fuel thread is here:

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
I remember those. We'd always try to get behind someone who had pumped "260" so the hoses and pump would be full of it.
Then there was Getty, whose idea was they would sell only premium gas.
Might have been a good idea, but just before the unleaded fuel regs came out it was a disaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.