Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be addressed elsewhere, but can't find it. Waiting on my Basque Red EX, but wife asked a question I can't find the answer to. What happens if the electronic parking brake is engaged and the battery dies? Only suggestions I find online are to carry extra long jumper cables or have a battery booster in the car. Seems suboptimal to me. Any info?

·
Registered
281 Posts
if the battery is dead, it won't start anyway, so whats the point? If you jump it with cables or a box you can take the p brake off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but if I'm in my garage and the cables don't reach the other car, I'd have to roll the V out in the driveway to do the jump. But yes, if you're out and about you'd need a friendly stranger (or service) to jump either way.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'd go with the "carry a battery booster in the car". Lithium-battery-based boxes are really better than actual jumper cables in many ways. They don't require a donor, have reverse-polarity protection, and you don't have to worry about the position of the dead car at all. They are also more compact (fits in the glovebox, no problem) and are actually cheaper than good jumper cables.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had one day when my CR-V's battery was dead. Since I volunteer to transport patients to treatment I cannot have that. I purchased a battery booster. Looks like just the purchase was enough to ward off battery issues since the dead battery has not recurred.

As a bonus the battery pack can be used to charge cell phones. Not a bad thing to have with hurricane season coming up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes, but if I'm in my garage and the cables don't reach the other car, I'd have to roll the V out in the driveway to do the jump. But yes, if you're out and about you'd need a friendly stranger (or service) to jump either way.
what do you need a parking brake on anyway? No reason for it in an automatic.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the link. Just purchased the GB40 on Amazon. Liked all the features that this has to offer, plus the peace of mind of being able to handle any future dead battery issues.

You will love it. I also have 4 of their battery maintainers on my show cars. Great products

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think carrying a booster pack is really answering the question. I would think there would have to Be a way to release the brake.
I do think that it probably needs very little power to release the brake, and in most dead battery situations there would still be enough juice to release it.

I keep checking the post for an answer. I'm really curious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me, and I found on a Civic forum that you cannot release the brake without power. This info was from the Civic online manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks really cool. I think I found one on Amazon for about $80. But at the risk of showing my ignorance, do I really want a lithium battery sitting in the spare tire well? Everything from cell phones to fitbits are exploding and causing fires.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Actually, they are small enough to fit in your glovebox. I'd say it's no more dangerous than leaving your cell phone in your car. They have the advantage that they don't have QUITE as much pressure as a cellphone maker to make it as small as possible, so it might actually be a little safer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks sirwired! Your comment makes sense, at least to this neo-luddite. I'll just make sure not to cross the streams!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looks really cool. I think I found one on Amazon for about $80. But at the risk of showing my ignorance, do I really want a lithium battery sitting in the spare tire well? Everything from cell phones to fitbits are exploding and causing fires.
Harbor Freight is selling one for $69.95 with their coupon in their latest flier.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have no data to back this up, but if you were to turn as much of the electrical system off as possible, meaning no lights on, stereo off, doors closed, etc., there would probably still be enough voltage in the battery to release the parking brake. I don't think that the actuators draw a whole lot of current when releasing the brake.

This is, of course, only applicable if you still have battery power available, just not enough to crank the engine. If it's dead, it's dead.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lith batteries only have issues overheating while charging. Never just sitting there unused.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This may be addressed elsewhere, but can't find it. Waiting on my Basque Red EX, but wife asked a question I can't find the answer to. What happens if the electronic parking brake is engaged and the battery dies? Only suggestions I find online are to carry extra long jumper cables or have a battery booster in the car. Seems suboptimal to me. Any info?
Can Orocruiser or somebody brief us about what the E Brake does? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts