Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually E-ZPass mounting is usually "Adhere the tag inside your car to the upper center portion of your windshield, behind the rear view mirror at least one inch to the right of the center support of the mirror and at least one inch below the top edge of the windshield, or below the tinted section of the glass."

Since there is camera/sensor around the same area, what would be the suitable location for mount?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,039 Posts
If the area behind the mirror is 'used' by the safety systems, just put it more to the right...it will work fine and won't block your vision.

(When you register your new car's license plate with EZ Pass, you don't even NEED the transponder...they will bill you via your plate number.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the area behind the mirror is 'used' by the safety systems, just put it more to the right...it will work fine and won't block your vision.

(When you register your new car's license plate with EZ Pass, you don't even NEED the transponder...they will bill you via your plate number.)
Thanks, I would try putting on the right side. Also although I have seen that if the system is not able to read transponder, they take picture and then match the account with license plate and then charge the account. Not sure how much automated that process is but I think that it would perhaps have additional overhead for the system and would be better if I can mount the transponder properly so that it can be read.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,039 Posts
Yep, just to the right of the middle will work fine!

Many toll road agencies are going to license plate readers on purpose.... so overall, it costs them less. This allows them to save the cost of toll collectors (for out of state drivers) and the cost of transponders.

Here's an article on the technology. It's about a year and a half old, but it notes that Massachusetts had implemented all-electronic tolling even then. In my state, they are preparing to do the same, starting with a few interchanges now but with full implementation in a year or two.

http://www.raytheon.com/news/feature/electronic_tolling.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, just to the right of the middle will work fine!

Many toll road agencies are going to license plate readers on purpose.... so overall, it costs them less. This allows them to save the cost of toll collectors (for out of state drivers) and the cost of transponders.

Here's an article on the technology. It's about a year and a half old, but it notes that Massachusetts had implemented all-electronic tolling even then. In my state, they are preparing to do the same, starting with a few interchanges now but with full implementation in a year or two.

http://www.raytheon.com/news/feature/electronic_tolling.html
thanks, the link gives good info

·
Administrator
3,293 Posts
I put mine up high next to the electronics on my Touring with no adverse effects.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, Mozilla froze on me before I could finish.

Can someone post pictures of where to put the EZPass tag, please? I have the 2017 Touring and I am afraid the wrong location would interfere with the sensors/camera. There is this big plastic thingie (with the rearview mirror attached) on the windshield and there are a lot of black dots surrounding this thingie. From the front passenger seat I can see 2 vents on the bottom right hand side. I am inclined to put the tag below the 2 vents away from the dots. Would this be a good location? I am not afraid that the tag cannot be read ... I don't want it to interfere with the sensors/camera. I would appreciate it if someone can take the time to take pictures and post them. Thanks in advance.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,039 Posts
Can't help with the 2017 transponder placement...

But just so that there is no mis-understanding, I've learned that yes, the toll agencies will bill your account via the license plate, but if you are eligible for any discounts on the passage, you will only get them via the transponder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can someone post pictures of where to put the EZPass tag, please?
Hi, sorry no pics tonight - too cold out there :).

However, in my 2017 CR-V I mounted the transponder on the top edge of the windshield to the left (drivers side) of the black plastic sensor housing that is behind the rear view mirror. There is a large area of sunscreen "dots" and I that's where I put mine. Been through six tolls since and it's worked every time. I would have preferred to put it below the black sensor housing but that's where the LKAS camera is and I didn't want to block it with the transponder.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just drove through the state of MA twice tonight, on toll roads, and dont have a transponder. It's a pretty interesting system that they recently installed. There are readers under bridges along the way that read license plates (and transponders). If you have a transponder they just debit it from your account, but if not they just bill you by mail from your license plate tag #.

They completely leveled all of the toll plazas on the road and at each exit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be careful. In some states my understanding is that where there are still two different "rates" for people having EZ-Pass and those not having it, you might get charged the higher rate. Here in PA, I'm pretty sure that if you don't have an account and transponder, with your vehicle being registered in the system, you'll be charged more than those having an account and transponder. I know that from personal experience.

I've gotten letters with "citations" when I've passed EZ-Pass stations and my registered vehicle with current plate passed without the transponder responding - or at least, the system failed to recognize it responding. That was in PA. It's best practice to use the transponder, and if you have multiple vehicles, to make sure that you plates (including trailer plates if you pull one) are registered as well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes its a much higher rate if you dont have the transponder. I don't know how much, but will when the bill comes in :) In the meantime, i'll order a transponder.

The signage while entering the highway says "Cash payment is no longer accepted. Transponder or "Pay-By-Plate" only"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never been wild about riding around with a potential tracking device glued to my windshield. People have discovered that their EZPasses were being read in all kinds of places, not just toll plazas. In other cars I just stored it in the center console, and then threw it up on the left corner of the dashboard when I needed it. Always worked fine there.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Can't help with the 2017 transponder placement...

But just so that there is no mis-understanding, I've learned that yes, the toll agencies will bill your account via the license plate, but if you are eligible for any discounts on the passage, you will only get them via the transponder.
I had my 2007 CRV registered with my EZ-Pass. I went through the toll plazas about 6 or 7 times in a row without it (I had left it in a friend's car.) EZ-Pass paid the tolls but I got a notice in the mail that further trips without the transponder would result in an added $1 service charge.

On my 2017, I mounted it in the center of the windshield about an inch under the dark sensor area. I checked before I mounted it, and I can't see the transponder behind the rearview mirror. I've had no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm . . my husband mounted my transponder just below the black housing unit, and to the right. Pretty much right under the little vent/slit thing on the bottom of the black housing. MY question is - exactly where is the front camera/sensor for LKAS and RDM? We've not experienced any issue with at least the RDM working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My transponder is mounted to the right of the black housing unit 1/2 inches below the edge of the windshield/roof. I also have not had any issues with the transponder being read (about 35 reads)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts