Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
What surprises me is that there is no storage for a spare so that if your in that way inclined you cant source and safely stow an aftermarket spare. To me that is stupid and will affect sales.
This was an issue I had in my 2009 Accord.

The wheel well in the boot (trunk!) was not even big enough for a space saver. In the end, I bought a cheapo full size alloy wheel+tyre for £30 and slung it in there.

Thankfully the Accord had a decent sized boot!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Was that the model that caused the Accord to be withdrawn from the UK market due to poor sales? I'm not sure too many buyers will want to throw a space saver into the cargo area of the CRV. Hopefully it's not a deal breaker for the majority as it's a very fine car to drive.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Was that the model that caused the Accord to be withdrawn from the UK market due to poor sales? I'm not sure too many buyers will want to throw a space saver into the cargo area of the CRV. Hopefully it's not a deal breaker for the majority as it's a very fine car to drive.
Thats the one!

In fairness, the CR-V has a huge boot/trunk - so storing a spare shouldnt be an issue in itself although it would look rather unsightly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This was an issue I had in my 2009 Accord.

The wheel well in the boot (trunk!) was not even big enough for a space saver. In the end, I bought a cheapo full size alloy wheel+tyre for £30 and slung it in there.

Thankfully the Accord had a decent sized boot!
Not making excuses for Honda, everyone likes the idea of a spare. But in a place like the UK (which is so overcrowded you can't go more than a few miles without hitting some kind of civilization) I wouldn't be concerned about flatting without a spare. If you can't patch it you're gonna be able to get assistance relatively quickly. It's not like roadtripping across the continental US in any sense. :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
Not making excuses for Honda, everyone likes the idea of a spare. But in a place like the UK (which is so overcrowded you can't go more than a few miles without hitting some kind of civilization) I wouldn't be concerned about flatting without a spare. If you can't patch it you're gonna be able to get assistance relatively quickly. It's not like roadtripping across the continental US in any sense. :)
The "hitting civilisation" bit is not the problem in the UK.

It is the state of the Godforsaken roads which maul tyres.

Seriously, our road network here is absymal and the condition of the road and motorway (sorry, freeway!) surfaces is shockingly bad, uneven and littered with potholes. Even third world nations have better road surfaces than we do and thats saying something!

Granted, I've only ever had 2 punctures/flats in over 25 years of motoring, but I would always have a spare to ensure that if I did need to replace a flat/punctured wheel while on the move, I can easily pull over and swap it and continue my journey.

Saves waiting around for Honda Assistance, who'd only be snarled up in bloody traffic jams that the UK is notorious for!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The "hitting civilisation" bit is not the problem in the UK.

It is the state of the Godforsaken roads which maul tyres.

Seriously, our road network here is absymal and the condition of the road and motorway (sorry, freeway!) surfaces is shockingly bad, uneven and littered with potholes. Even third world nations have better road surfaces than we do and thats saying something!

Granted, I've only ever had 2 punctures/flats in over 25 years of motoring, but I would always have a spare to ensure that if I did need to replace a flat/punctured wheel while on the move, I can easily pull over and swap it and continue my journey.

Saves waiting around for Honda Assistance, who'd only be snarled up in bloody traffic jams that the UK is notorious for!
Simple punctures are addressed with the inflator/repair kit that replaces a spare tire. A destroyed tire.. different story entirely.. but I doubt very much that happens now days. Used to be driving on a flat would destroy the tire.. but with TPMS now.. anyone driving on a flat is simply asleep at the switch.

What is going to happen over the coming years is vehicle manufacturers are slowly going to do away with spare tires entirely.. and tires will move to either run-flats or the manufacturer puts an inflator/repair kit in it's place.

As you stated.. you have only had two flats in 25 years.. and I have personally only had 2 in more than 30 years. I have had many more punctures though.. but I find out about them from the TPMS and get them repaired before a flat is ever encountered. That said.. I still like the idea of a spare in my vehicle.. so I'm not sure what approach I will take when the time comes to deal with there being no spare. I probably will move to run-flats.. since they will be quite common from the large tire companies in the coming years as spares become obsolete by force.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
A destroyed tire.. different story entirely.. but I doubt very much that happens now days. Used to be driving on a flat would destroy the tire.. but with TPMS now.. anyone driving on a flat is simply asleep at the switch.
Thank you, but I wasn't asleep when I ran over something and blew out the right front tire on my 2014. I think it was more than 1/4 mile before there was a shoulder where I could pull over to figure out what happened. I put the "donut" spare tire on with some help from a road side assistance truck, and eventually had to buy a replacement tire from the Honda dealer, who took one off a 2014 on their lot.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Simple punctures are addressed with the inflator/repair kit that replaces a spare tire. A destroyed tire.. different story entirely.. but I doubt very much that happens now days. Used to be driving on a flat would destroy the tire.. but with TPMS now.. anyone driving on a flat is simply asleep at the switch.

What is going to happen over the coming years is vehicle manufacturers are slowly going to do away with spare tires entirely.. and tires will move to either run-flats or the manufacturer puts an inflator/repair kit in it's place.

As you stated.. you have only had two flats in 25 years.. and I have personally only had 2 in more than 30 years. I have had many more punctures though.. but I find out about them from the TPMS and get them repaired before a flat is ever encountered. That said.. I still like the idea of a spare in my vehicle.. so I'm not sure what approach I will take when the time comes to deal with there being no spare. I probably will move to run-flats.. since they will be quite common from the large tire companies in the coming years as spares become obsolete by force.
Thats just it though - not all punctures, even the simple ones - are simple.

The can of gunge doesnt cut it. Certainly not on this side of the pond.

As long as scrappies/breaker yards exist, I'll always buy a spare to be safe and not caught out when something does happen. After all, it is uncommon, but with most things, a tyre issue can happen when you least expect it and its better to be prepared for that eventuality ?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thats just it though - not all punctures, even the simple ones - are simple.

The can of gunge doesnt cut it. Certainly not on this side of the pond.
Inflator/repair kits are designed to deal with any simple puncture, up to 1/4 inch. In other words.. any puncture that can be repaired at a tire shop. Generally anything bigger.. a reputable tire shop in the US will refuse to repair and you need a new tire. While such an issue is always possible.. the likelihood is extremely low.

I actually have had a 1/4 inch bolt penetrate my tire on my CRV within 2 months of taking ownership. It did not actually leak any appreciable amount of air until I had it at the tire shop the next day to have it repaired... so in that particular case.. no spare and no inflator/repair kit required. The TPMS never triggered, and the only reason I knew I had the bolt in my tire was due to the road noise it created.

Here's the thing.. anyone can create any sort of "corner case" event to prove something is not suitable in order to support their personal narrative. No question. That said.. statistics drive vehicle design..and when the statistics demonstrate that having a spare tire in a vehicle has limited value in real life.... vehicle manufacturers are inclined to simply not include one. I personally have taken a number of customer surveys from Honda..and one question they continue to ask is if I would be OK with no spare and an inflator/repair kit in it's place. I always say NO, and explain why. I'm old school..and prefer a spare tire... but I am also objective enough to know that survey data across the range of owners.. indicates otherwise.

Personally, I will keep a compact spare in my garage... for the remote possibility that I get home, with an unknown tire damage that requires I swap tires before going to the tire store. Peace of mind over actual need. But in reality.. what is used most in my garage is my portable tire inflation kit.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
There goes ride quality.
I used to think the same thing.. but in looking at the proliferation of run-flats coming on the market.. some of them are extremely good in terms of ride and handling. The general discontinuance of spares by manufacturers will simply drive this market forward in a positive way.. including downward pressure on any price premiums.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thank you, but I wasn't asleep when I ran over something and blew out the right front tire on my 2014. I think it was more than 1/4 mile before there was a shoulder where I could pull over to figure out what happened. I put the "donut" spare tire on with some help from a road side assistance truck, and eventually had to buy a replacement tire from the Honda dealer, who took one off a 2014 on their lot.
1/4 mile drive to pull over will not destroy a tire that is low on air due to a puncture. In your case it sounds like the tire was destroyed anyway. It happens... but the point is.. it's rare.

Roadside Assistance comes into play in this case... as you yourself indicated. :)

See.. that is the thing these days.... with cell phone communications and roadside assistance programs.. such an event also has a smooth path to resolution. Worst case... they tow you to the dealer..and since you need a new tire anyway, and cannot drive long miles on the compact spares... it's completely viable for the situation.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Roadside Assistance comes into play in this case... as you yourself indicated.
Yes, they let me use their floor jack to change to the donut spare, instead of having to use the scissor jack the CR-V comes with. And of course the big flashing arrow sign on top of the truck to keep me from getting run over.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 2017 touring I got a wheel and when I replaced the tires on my car I mounted the best one on the wheel and put in to replace the donut ,and yes they fit. My mileage was not effected either....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to think the same thing.. but in looking at the proliferation of run-flats coming on the market.. some of them are extremely good in terms of ride and handling. The general discontinuance of spares by manufacturers will simply drive this market forward in a positive way.. including downward pressure on any price premiums.
Run flats; why didn't I check them out when I changed over to Michelin Crossclimates two months ago!

I believe the risk of having to change over a wheel at the roadside is sufficiently low to negate the need for a spare but fitting run flats would reduce the risk even further to practically zero.

I've just checked pricing and they're only slightly more expensive than their standard counterparts. I'd certainly have considered fitting them, just didn't occur to me at the time. Might have been helpful if Honda had thought it through and offered them as standard fit or as a marginal cost option.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have used quick fix foam several times instead of changing the tire roadside. Works fine even in case of a cutting puncture.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Run flats; why didn't I check them out when I changed over to Michelin Crossclimates two months ago!

I believe the risk of having to change over a wheel at the roadside is sufficiently low to negate the need for a spare but fitting run flats would reduce the risk even further to practically zero...
Agreed.

And since there's no spare tire, I'd hope runflats are standard (or a no-cost option) on the CRV Hybrid. Or at least a dealer-installed option.

Interestingly, the Bridgestone Driveguard runflats compare favorably with the non-runflat Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Less expensive too.

For that admittedly Bridgestone-sponsored non-comprehensive comparison testing, tires were installed on 2016 Honda CRVs: "Overall, our initial impression indicates that during the quest for functionality on high center-of-gravity vehicles, the ride quality of the Bridgestone DriveGuard has not been sacrificed along the way."

21 - 40 of 43 Posts