Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just a post about where one of the 'big' earth to body connection is located if you are having earth related electrical problems. I found this by accident as I was investigating some rust in the general area.

I wasn't having any electrical problems, but judging by the rust creeping towards the earth point, I think they were a distinct possibility at some point.

The connection is in the left hand side wheel well, hidden behind the plastic wheel arch trim. I'm a little confused by the location, as looking at the trunking route, it could just have easily been inside the engine bay. Engineers huh?!

Access is by removing the two lower 'bumper' bolts and popping out a few plastic plugs in the area, you don't need to remove the whole wheel arch plastic, it folds out of the way. TIP: make sure you have some 10mm plastic press plugs spare, you WILL need them...

Here are the pics...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Left side wheel well...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Many earth connections...and some corrosion.
White Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Close up the fastener head was nearly rusted round...
Wood Sneakers Human leg Auto part Machine

This connection was still good but for how long?
Water Reptile Grey Wood Automotive tire

Wire brush in a drill, Epoxy Brunox rust stabiliser and lashings of some old Hammerite I had... Oh, and copper grease on the threads.
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

I now almost consider these bloomin' things single use lol! (these are 10mm ones, I got a big bag from aliexpress for peanuts).

Hope that helps someone.
Cheers

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
Like anything else, practice in removing the pop-retainers will result in less need for replacement. :p Always note where each one comes from, as the length varies depending on how many layers of plastic they retain.

I've posted pictures of that grounding/earthing point in the past.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
571 Posts
Reactions: handycrowd

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and not in the wheel well.
That's what I thought. If you look to the right of the battery, that cable/duct literally dives through a big hole into the wheel well. I can only assume they thought it would be better protected behind the plastic than in the engine bay.

And yet, one of the main big earth straps is very close by and happily sits on the inner wing near the battery. Odd logic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very good post, I have a issue with my headlights flickering intermittently, i replaced battery and alternator at some point and the issue seemed to be fixed. Now it looks like is coming back. I cleaned the negative going to the chassis, that cable to the right fo the battery . I should check that ground you find out. And yes, those plastic clips seems to be one time use, they always break

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
And yes, those plastic clips seems to be one time use, they always break
They only break if you pull the center 'button' all the way out.

Best Practice is to release the center button by 1/4", then pry the body along with the center button out. You can use a special tool, or two small screwdrivers, to keep the parts straight. (You will often encounter some resistance, since the plastic retaining 'feet' take a set after a number of years)

You can tell, I lie on my back contemplating these fasteners for hours at a time... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They only break if you pull the center 'button' all the way out.
Mine seem softer than that. Some I can't even get started, just gently pushing the thinnest of screwdrivers under the edge breaks the edge, before the center pin has even moved! Lots of crappy cold weather here though, and mine are 18 years old lol!

Risk and reward. They are so cheap to buy, spending even seconds isn't worth it for me lol!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,057 Posts
Hey guys,
Just a post about where one of the 'big' earth to body connection is located if you are having earth related electrical problems. I found this by accident as I was investigating some rust in the general area.

I wasn't having any electrical problems, but judging by the rust creeping towards the earth point, I think they were a distinct possibility at some point.

The connection is in the left hand side wheel well, hidden behind the plastic wheel arch trim. I'm a little confused by the location, as looking at the trunking route, it could just have easily been inside the engine bay. Engineers huh?!

Access is by removing the two lower 'bumper' bolts and popping out a few plastic plugs in the area, you don't need to remove the whole wheel arch plastic, it folds out of the way. TIP: make sure you have some 10mm plastic press plugs spare, you WILL need them...

Here are the pics...
View attachment 150563
Left side wheel well...
View attachment 150564
View attachment 150565
View attachment 150566
View attachment 150567
Wire brush in a drill, Epoxy Brunox rust stabiliser and lashings of some old Hammerite I had... Oh, and copper grease on the threads.
View attachment 150568
I now almost consider these bloomin' things single use lol! (these are 10mm ones, I got a big bag from aliexpress for peanuts).

Hope that helps someone.
Cheers
There is rust on the bolt and rust all around the ground point, but if you look closely at the metals under the bolt head and on the chassis.. where connection to chassis is completed... they appear clean and corrosion free though. Which means the bolt was properly torqued and created a gas-tight fit and seal between the two metals. But now that you removed it.. I bet you will now have corrosion seep under the bolt and connection wires to worry about, even though you appear to have sealed the area with an overcoat to inhibit corrosion.

Happily.. Honda does not ground there any more on CRVs.... They now ground to chassis inside the engine compartment which makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which means the bolt was properly torqued and created a gas-tight fit and seal between the two metals. But now that you removed it.. I bet you will now have corrosion seep under the bolt and connection wires to worry about, even though you appear to have sealed the area with an overcoat to inhibit corrosion.
Not a chance. Plus, it was never 'gas tight', and if it was the first time, why would it not be the second time, especially with added copper grease?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys,

Here are the pics...
View attachment 150563
Left side wheel well...
View attachment 150564
View attachment 150565
View attachment 150566
View attachment 150567
View attachment 150568

Hope that helps someone.
Cheers
I was also mystified by that while rebuilding the front-end. The people that design vehicles don't have to repair them.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
971 Posts
You can tell, I lie on my back contemplating these fasteners for hours at a time... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Want to clarify a few questions I have to enhance my clip fastener contemplation sessions.
1. Use a creeper, foam exercise mat, carpet remnant, bare concrete?
2. Vinyl or foam pillow for your head?
3. Orientation for most amount of shade?
4. Set timer to end your "contemplation" session, or does someone come around & kick your feet?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,057 Posts
Not a chance. Plus, it was never 'gas tight', and if it was the first time, why would it not be the second time, especially with added copper grease?
If the bolt was not gas tight in fitting, then the underside of the ground contact surface and the metal chassis surface where it contacts would also be rust corroded. From your photos though it was not.. the metal looked corrosion free at the chassis contact point under the connector and bolt. Everything around the connection is corroded from years of road driving, but from your photos the actual key ground contact looks as though it was still as good as the day they torqued the bolt down at the factory.

In any event... what is done is done. :) I would just be sure to keep an eye on it periodically now that the connections are no longer OEM.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
571 Posts
Last I looked, G301 was one of some 15-20 ground locations throughout the vehicle. If you care to search for more corrosion, G201 and G202 are on the opposite side passenger side in a near identical location. I’d personally not go looking unless I were already there or had problems. FWIW, worst case scenario with lots of corrosion, you can relocate the ground wires elsewhere.

Attachments

Reactions: handycrowd
1 - 16 of 16 Posts