Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 69 years old and have always changed my own oil. I don't trust others to do it and I can do it far more quickly than I can wait for it. I know it is done right and I don't have to listen to a dry startup when they don't fill the filter first.

I changed the oil in my 2016 EX-L today. This is the first car (other than a pick-up) that I have been able to change the oil and filter without jacking the car up. I put a pad on my driveway and was able to reach the oil plug to remove it, drain the oil and reinstall it. The filter is on the front and is readily accessible. You can fill the filter to about 3/4 before you install it and not lose any oil. There was just a little Mobil 1 left in the 5 quart jug when I got done. Oil and filter at Walmart was just under $30 and it took about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Osborn: 5 yrs older than you, but I feel exactly the same !! Did my oil and filter Saturday, but I use ramps to get as much of the "stuff" that accumulates on the bottom of the pan to run out. While i think about it, there appears to be another bolt identical to the oil drain bolt about 4" to the right and angled down toward the ground !! What is it ?? It comes off an extended part of the casting - maybe trans fluid drain ?? Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Osborn: 5 yrs older than you, but I feel exactly the same !! Did my oil and filter Saturday, but I use ramps to get as much of the "stuff" that accumulates on the bottom of the pan to run out. While i think about it, there appears to be another bolt identical to the oil drain bolt about 4" to the right and angled down toward the ground !! What is it ?? It comes off an extended part of the casting - maybe trans fluid drain ?? Thanks, Craig
I don't know. I only noticed one as I didn't crawl that close. Maybe they're both drain plugs and I used the one you don't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you replace the oil plug with a Fumoto valve it is even easier. I change my oil every month because I drive 1k miles per week.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This engine and the R18 from my 09 Civic were the two of the easiest engines to do any oil change on since the filter is like right there. Tucked up and away to avoid damage from road debris but easily within reach. Granted the first one was a pain in the butt to remove since it was over tightened or something but the next one will be much easier since it wasn't spun on by Superman.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can you post pictures and what type of oil are you using, synthetic or conversional oil ?
I'll go out on a limb and assume synthetic was used, at least according to this phrase in the last sentence of the original post: "There was just a little Mobil 1 left in the 5 quart jug..."
Kevin

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am 69 years old and have always changed my own oil. I don't trust others to do it and I can do it far more quickly than I can wait for it. I know it is done right and I don't have to listen to a dry startup when they don't fill the filter first.

I changed the oil in my 2016 EX-L today. This is the first car (other than a pick-up) that I have been able to change the oil and filter without jacking the car up. I put a pad on my driveway and was able to reach the oil plug to remove it, drain the oil and reinstall it. The filter is on the front and is readily accessible. You can fill the filter to about 3/4 before you install it and not lose any oil. There was just a little Mobil 1 left in the 5 quart jug when I got done. Oil and filter at Walmart was just under $30 and it took about 15 minutes.
Agreed on all points. It's even easier than my '63 Ford...
Kevin

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you post pictures and what type of oil are you using, synthetic or conversional oil ?
I'm not aware of a conventional oil available in the recommended 0W20. I chose Mobil 1 @ $22.88 for a 5 quart jug. The Quaker State was about $3.00 cheaper. The Mobil 1 had the hook on the container "Recommended for Toyota and Honda".

·
Banned
806 Posts
Not sure what year they quite putting that aluminum plate over the drain plug and filter. That is my issue and why I have to get mine off the ground. I don't have a japanese stubby screwdriver with the proper head to remove the 4 screws. It is on a longer handle. I also take advantage of it and rotate my tires at the same time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure what year they quite putting that aluminum plate over the drain plug and filter. That is my issue and why I have to get mine off the ground. I don't have a japanese stubby screwdriver with the proper head to remove the 4 screws. It is on a longer handle. I also take advantage of it and rotate my tires at the same time.
My 16 doesn't have it and I don't see why it would be needed. Is there a reason you couldn't leave it off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 CRV and it has the plate with the four screws. The rest of the splash shield is plastic. I've never considered leaving it off. It's plausible a rock or other road debris could hit the oil filter.

I did an oil change last weekend. I used ramps and Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. I always use a Honda oil filter and install a new crush washer with the drain plug. I bought a Fumoto valve but I have never installed it. I like to torque the oil drain plug to spec and I don't have an open ended torque wrench. So it will sit on the shelf for a while.

I always take a look at my tie rods, cv axles, struts, end links, and v-belt while it's up on the ramps and the oil is draining.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use an electric screwdriver to remove the 4 screws on the plate. It has more torque than a wrist and won't strip out the heads.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Use an electric screwdriver to remove the 4 screws on the plate. It has more torque than a wrist and won't strip out the heads.
It isn't about using an electric screwdriver or a hand screwdriver. One of mine were destroyed by the dealer using an electric screwdriver. And put on so tight that it didn't want to come off. Those screws are japanese industrial standard screws. Not a regular phillips screwdriver. And they get stripped out because people use a regular phillips screwdriver on them.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/jis-japanese-industrial-standard/view-all-products.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've used a #2 Klein hand screwdriver and haven't had any trouble with stripping. I've never considered using a cordless drill to remove the plate because it is only 4 small screws. I just throw a screwdriver, some shop towels, and my oil filter wrench in a bucket to tote out there, grab my 3/8" Williams drive socket set, and get to work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts