Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really liked the Gorilla Gear mats I got with our 2009 Jetta TDI - they have a carpet-like surface, are quiet, and have corner dividers with Velcro-like bottoms you can arrange to hold things in place. The closest I could find for the CR-V is the Lund Cargo Logic (which might be made by the same company), but they are not customized to fit.

Then I realized that since the Jetta is going back to VW, probably to be crushed and recycled, why not take the Gorilla mat out and see how it fits?

Test fitting - unmodified Jetta trunk mat laid out in CR-V cargo area:

before.jpg

I was surprised to see how close some of the dimensions were - the rear edge has an almost identical curve, and the width (excluding the "pockets") was almost identical. Even the color is a close match!

Now, Honda has conveniently provided us with a template that is ideal for marking and cutting almost any material to provide a custom fit mat or liner - the shelf that can be raised or lowered to one of two levels. So, I took that shelf, put it upside down on the bottom of the Gorilla Gear mat, and used a Sharpie to mark the necessary cuts. Cut with a standard utility knife from bottom side, using a board underneath to protect blade and floor. The final result:

after.jpg

It's not perfect - for example you lose the raised edge in two places that otherwise would help with containing spilled liquids - but I'm pretty happy with the result for its intended use of quieting cargo and keeping it from sliding.

That same template method could be used for cutting nearly any material to make your own custom trunk liner.

·
Registered
679 Posts
For some reason I'm having a hard time understanding the photos and thus the post. Did you turn the Honda cargo liner back into carpeting ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I took a Gorilla Gear trunk liner from a 2009 Jetta and cut it to fit the CR-V. The first picture is in its original Jetta shape laying in the CR-V, the second is after cutting to CR-V shape. The same could be done with any other sort of carpet, mat or other material.

The Honda cargo liner I got as a dealer add-on is totally worthless, about the thickness of a plastic milk carton, noisy and lets cargo slide. It doesn't even fit the trunk properly and slides around itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts