Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dislike the wimpy CRV horn and was wondering if anyone has an easy replacement for it.....I don't have the inclination to disassemble the front end so was wonderiing if there are any other reasonable alternatives. I want to still be able to use the horn button in the steering wheel and have it go off with locking the doors, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just spent 2 hours in the garage trying to figure out how to disconnect the connectors at the horns in order to disable without cutting harness wiring and I don't think it can be done without pulling the grill and the front bumper. Not even sure that will give access. Way too much work! (I now have a back-up air horn unit for my Miata)

I also would like to be enlightened.

MazdaSpeed Miata air horns

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also very displeased with the punch the standard horn has. My Honda Sabre motorcycle had the same problem. In that case it was not acceptable. A very loud horn is a necessary safety device.

I won't be looking into this until spring but if I can manage it I plan to install a Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn. They can be found for under $40 and it has punch in spades. The only caution is that it draws more current than a standard horn so it is highly recommended to use a horn relay. The new horn is connected directly to the battery through a 20 Amp fuse and relay and the relay is controlled by the old horn connection. Mounting can be an issue since it must be mounted with the round canister vertical (in the instructions). Chances are you would have to fab a mounting bracket.

A lot of work, probably yes but it is very effective in overcoming closed windows and loud stereos. I love the effect on cell phone users crossing over into my lane.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,
I'm a new member with a 2012 EXL.............thought you might like to know I just replaced today the smallest OEM horn I have ever seen!
Took less than 2 hrs., I am slow being 77 yrs old!
I bought a WOLO High Tone horn for $9.50 at O'Reillies Auto Parts. It fitted on same bolt with some minor (1/8") filing of bracket and a new female spade connector.
Only need to remove the Grill and upper filler piece, a bit tricky, after removing the funny plastic fasteners you have to remove main grill using a thin piece of steel (I use a narrow trowel!) and slowly work your way around the grill; it has a number of clips, 3 each side and 3 at bottom.
Sounds like a real car now; not as good as my Jaguars though!
My background; retired Boeing Engineer and 50 years experience working on Jags. So this was a simple Task!
Hope this helps ...................

Adrian (Seattle) 2012 CRV, 2007 XK Coupe & 2000 XK8 conv.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Could an air horn be wired to the steering wheel wiring with a switch you could flip to switch back and forth to and from each horn?

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
172 Posts
Old thread, I know, but I recently bought new Hella horns to replace the horrible ones on my 08. I watched the video below and it shows removing the whole front bumper & grille. I wasn’t wanting to get that involved and I have a bull bar on the front that I thought would complicate things so I haven’t done it yet. After reading the post above by the 77 year old I’m thinking about trying it that way!

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
172 Posts
Old thread, I know, but I recently bought new Hella horns to replace the horrible ones on my 08. I watched the video below and it shows removing the whole front bumper & grille. I wasn’t wanting to get that involved and I have a bull bar on the front that I thought would complicate things so I haven’t done it yet. After reading the post above by the 77 year old I’m thinking about trying it that way!

I came to say that the way the other guy referenced didn’t work for me. As I reread his post, I see that he had a ‘12 and mine is an ‘08, so we have different grilled. Wasted that hour of my time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts