Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have an 04 crv that I've been rebuilding over that last year and after a couple tries using the original engine I ended up putting in a jdm k24 a2 and of course the ecm is not having any of it. So I could really use some help trying to get her to run. I know I should have done this research before hand but I half a**ed it and was in a rush. Any help here would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Change ALL sensors over from the previous engine, intake manifold etc. It MAY accept the engine once you do that. I know K24A4s can be used doing this and run perfectly. Dont know about an A2 though because of the noticeably higher compression ratio.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My other question is about the imrc. Currently I have the stock intake manifold and plenum eliminated out of nesisity which means I had to eliminate two sensors. I currently have the sensors connect and just sorta hangin there

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you eliminated your stock intake that's the entire issue right there. You have 2 sensors no able to do their jobs and its shutting down the computer. Things like that cannot be done under any circumstance.

You need that engine as close to original configuration as possible. Need to compare the actuators to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you cant do anything of the sort. Computers have a preset range of values and that's it. And thats based off the design. There is probably some cobbled up way of trying to make the sensors read correctly but unless your an electrical engineer it isnt going to happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I realize that I have been making this a lot harder than it has to be and I think have come up with a solution and I'll know for sure here in a little bit but what I'm trying to do right now it "dry run" imrc off to the side as a false intake since I can't get the plenum on to use it. My understanding of it is that it's operated off of vacuum so if it is set up the same as if it were in use in theory with my understanding of it's operation it should work and should put out similar values to what it would in normal operation

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You can mess with it all you want, you may get it to stay running but going to run like crap.

Need to buy a K24A1 OR K24A4 (A4 is from elements and accords) and sell the A2. If you cant put the A1 intake on this battle will be a loosing one no matter how much time and money you throw at it (before you could just buy a new one).

The unit that is vacuum controlled itself is nothing. But when the sensors on the intake and exhaust are not reading correctly as they should with that unit operating correctly it's going to run poorly.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
I've seen this battle before. It's a losing one.
Whenever you try to drop in a non stock power plant my rule is buy everything from the ECU to the O2 sensors. Sometimes that hasn't been enough as cars have gone to fly by wire and accelerator pedals have had to be replaced.
Power plants are constantly changing. Sell up and start again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So cool the engine is completely useless and can never work in this car so for the third time in a row I had a complete failure with the engine in the rebuilding of this car soo maybe it's time frickin drop this car I've got more money in this thing and frankly I need it now. Glad to see I wasted another grand and am completely screwed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So just to be clear on this before sell this engine, there is no way to make this work??? I'm already about 4k over initial budget and 6 months behind schedule. And if go this route it's once again more money and probably another month before it's done. I'm currently down to one vehicle that I get to stay at about 35mph so I don't really want wait that long. So once again are there any options to use this engine??? Is there an ecm I can use??? Telling me that something can't be done kinda bothers me especially since I've seen people do some crazy thing like put an srt out of a hellcat in a Prius.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The crazy stuff you've seen done costs $10s of 1000s or more to make work. probably had an entire donor car, all the manufacturer working schematics and so on. They had money to burn.

You would need an entire wiring harness and diagrams for the Acura the motor came out of, all the sensor values, a split ECM system, tuner computer probably for the Honda element and so on.

Anything but generation 1 crvs it really isnt worth it to try and built like that. You already have more in your project than you could have bought a nice one for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look I get they had money to burn I know they probably threw 100k at that I was making a point. If I took an ecm wiring harness throttle peddle from an Acura would it work??? I have everything else save for the O2 sensors. I'm not looking for a rant. Will it work with this set up? Yes or no.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
You can make it work. You should have (and still need to do) sit down and do research on EVERYTHING before you tried to swap in another engine. I have swapped my share B-series engines into cars they originally didn't come with, with never an issue. This is no different, just takes time and money and not something you can do in a weekend. (or several)

You're probably going to have to run an aftermarket intake, and not some JCWhitney crap either. Skunk2 and K-Tuned both come to mind. You're also most likely going to need K-Pro to make it run as well. Neither of these are going to be cheap. Your best bet is to stop and call a tuner who're familiar with K-series and Hondas'.

There will be no quick fix for this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried researching I cant find ****. There little to no documentation on that I've been able to find that's why I'm here. Half the responses I've gotten make little to no sense. So got an engine that not right for my car all the sensors are the same but two that causes problems makes sense. So take a car put an engine not original but you bring with it the computer designed to control it and all of the other components in that system. All the right sensors all the original equipment for that computer and that engine. What am I missing here??? Why am I looking up values for sensors??? Anyway I was just hoping for more knowledgeable then one guy saying same thing repeatedly. Glad to see there are other people on here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts