Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be driving my 14 CRV EXL to Florida next month (900 miles one way) and I was wondering what you all thought of my using the ECON button for this trip? Will I benefit from this or not? This is my first post, so thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hello and welcome. I would say that is the time to try out the econ button. Supposedly it's good for long stretches of highway driving. The car will struggle on hills in my opinion based on trying out the button in my hilly area, but for long stretches of highway you may see some improved mpg using it.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. I'll be going to Florida late August but not driving.

Reactions: lenbata

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome. I would say that is the time to try out the econ button. Supposedly it's good for long stretches of highway driving. The car will struggle on hills in my opinion based on trying out the button in my hilly area, but for long stretches of highway you may see some improved mpg using it.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. I'll be going to Florida late August but not driving.
Thanks for your response. I have mostly used the Econ and know what you mean about struggling and sluggish-ness. When it's up to speed and the cruise set, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I consistently get 31 or 32mpg at 70-75 mph interstate driving with Econ set to off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just drove from Moab to SLC Utah...about 250 miles each way...with ECON off. Drove speed limit of 75 on I-70 and 65 on 2 lane highways. 3 adult passengers, 4 dogs and lots of luggage. 33.7 MPG on trip to SLC burning 87 octane and 34.6 on return burning SLC's 85 octane regular.

2013 LX AWD 5500 miles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Try it on the long flat stretches, although it won't make much difference. Turn it off in the hills. In my opinion it has little to no effect other than psychological.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hello people; I've been driving my used 13V eco on since I got it with about 7000 miles on it. I now have over 10000 and drive it to work mostly hi-way
and on long trips I'd use it. In the city and around town you need a bit more pep so eco off. But I just filled and I'm going to try eco off for a while and see if the MPG changes..
IBBY

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 14 AWD LX I got 30.3 mpg from Austin to El Paso (570 miles) driving on Eco at 80 to 85mph... probably 32 to 33mpg at 75mph

·
Registered
686 Posts
My 2013 just got back from a 2400 round trip about 2 hours ago - NW Arkansas to Raleigh NC and back - all with Econ ON - averaged 37.5 including driving in rush hour from the RTP to East Raleigh. From Newport TN to Raleigh NC driving the speed limit, I got 40.9 for the tank - the next tank dropped because I drove about 150 miles in Raleigh and got about 28 then drove back to Newport TN. FYI - my route was US 71B to US62 to US412 to I40 to I540 to US1 the reverse for the trip back.

The Econ button tells the cruise control to slack off going up hills. I don't mind the 3to 4 mph slowdown as it gives better fuel economy - check my Fuelly out if you don't believe that - the Newport to Dyerburg was in a lot of rain and that did lower the MPG by about 4. I also run 38 lbs of air in my tires for better fuel economy.

The windshield is a bug magnet - had to stop 3 times to clean the yellow bug remnants that would only smear when it was not raining. Going to wash my CR-V in the morning to get rid of the 100's of bugs that committed suicide in my vehicle. Part of the bumper looks yellow - not the black it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Drove our 08 CRV from Columbus OH to Atlanta this past weekend. On the way down, had to jump on 68 in TN due to accidents in Chattanooga. Averaged 25.8 with AC on for the trip. 68 would be fun on a bike or sports car. It gave the V a work out. Wife not too fond of the curves, I had fun. On the way back, we stayed on 75 the whole way and averaged 29.8 with the AC on and traveling between 74-80MPH. Currently 125K on the ODO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't use Econ unless stuck in gridlock traffic.. Of course I am second guessing Econ because the two times I did use it I had what I like to call "wrong gear, wrong time" In gridlock as traffic was slowing and moving.. 2 incidents in which the CRV felt like it was hit from behind because it was in the wrong gear, or it chose the wrong gear.. I can't imagine how since it only has 4 + 1 OD and the top speed was 30 on the highway at the time.

In the summer with air conditioner on going 74-80 MPH with some WOT for about 5 miles or so still nets me 30-32 MPG.. With econ on in the Suburbs I can't stand it.. It feels like the Nissan CVT driving (No offense Nissan, but your CVT confuses the heck out of me).

You can see my fuelly profile did go down a bit.. Only because back to school traffic and heavy rainstorms and fog which I use headlights to tell people where I am

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
416 Posts
I get 32 - 34 on the highway with the Econ mode off. I think if the green light around the speedometer is on, your driving as efficient as the car can get. Around town, I have tried the Econ mode on and off. I don't like the way the car drives with it on. I'm not heavy on the gas pedal, so I didn't see much, if any difference, in gas mileage with the Econ on. I usually get 24.9 - 25.2 around town (combined highway/city (mostly city) driving with the Econ off. So now I never use Econ.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I rarely turn Econ off. I find I don't need the extra power for most driving situations. For road trips I can easily get over 400 miles per tank. I bought the V last Dec 2014 and only have 4100 miles on it. I typically get 32 to 35 at 65 - 75 MPH. Around town 26 to 28 MPG. I am really happy with the gas mileage I'm getting.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Interesting as I rarely turn it on. Don't like the power loss. I can get the same mileage around town depending on how I drive and this morning's commute I averaged 40 mpg on the highway as there was no traffic.

Personally I think the econ button is a gimmick but if it's working for you, great.

Reactions: lenbata

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find it I need more power for towing etc, I drive my Jeep or Tacoma. I find the V gives me way better economy, especially on trips and that's where Econ seems to work the best for me. Set the cruise control relax and enjoy the drive. :)

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,966 Posts
I only use Econ on the hwy and going 75 mph I was averaging 34 mpg.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I took a quick trip up to Thousand Oaks this morning. Was thinking about using the ECON button, but decided against it. When I started out the computer said I was @'ing 23.something for the tankful so far (about 45-50 miles). When I got back I filled up. Computer said I was now at 29.something MPG for the tankful. Traffic was pretty light going north but coming back had a couple of good slow down's tossed in, just to remind me I'm still living in conjested SoCal.
It was kind of funny, while sitting at one red light just at the start of the trip home, I looked at the tach. It read @600 rpm, and the car felt as solid as a rock. Made me think of the '15 owners and all their complaints about shake.
I'm really happy with the '13 model we have in just about all aspects of its use. The only thing I wish it had is an electrically adjustable front seat. Other than that, I guess you'd call me a happy camper.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I live in Florida and keep the Eco button on all of the time to maximize gas mileage. Occasionally I turn it off to pass a car, but 99% of the time it is useful on our flat roads.

·
Registered
644 Posts
On long highway trips the cruise control provides maximum benefit in terms of fuel economy. There is a lot of information on hypermiling, cruise control and coasting are the two key techniques to maximize mpg. I think the ECON button is mostly useful in urban driving if you don't need quick acceleration. It may not make much difference on long trips by itself or when used together with cruise control.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts