• 50/50

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see a poll on this so curious to how many leave the econ button on all the time, some of the time or just leave it off.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going easy on the gas does essentially the same thing.
That's what I'm noticing also. Granted, I haven't left the econ mode on all the time yet but haven't seen a huge difference in MPG if I just drive easy with it off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've had the Econ button on for the barely 300 miles on the car since I picked it up last week. I've gotten used it so now I'll have to turn it off to see the difference. This past week with a combination of city and highway driving the car indicator says I am averaging 25 mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
460 Posts
Off for the following reasons.

1. Econ + Cruise control = sucks
If you use cruise control with Econ on.. the CRV will literately drop 5 MPH BEFORE throttle kicks in!. I set it to 50 MPH and climbing a small hill it slowly dropped and the computer DID NOT intervene until 45 MPH. Then it struggled to get it back up to 50 MPH because it was trying to use as little gas as possible to get it up to 50. (Try it for yourself!)
Without econ as soon as you start climbing a hill and you even remotely begin to slow down it will immediately apply throttle and keep your speed.
2. Econ + cruise control + down hill = engine brake or system brake? After climbing the hill and going back down as soon as you hit the 5 MPH mark faster you can feel what is describe as engine brake? Something starts slowing the CRV down don't know if it is the vehicle brakes being applied or using the engine to slow it down.. I guess it should slow down after X speed, but it feels very abrupt.

3. Up shifts and keeps higher gear like crazy. When I apply throttle as soon as it hits 2500 RPM the CRV goes to next gear immediately. With Econ off it allows 3,000 rpm before it up shifts. When you try to accelerate it tries to move in your current gear before giving up and down shifting.

4. Using very little gas to get up to speed waste more gas then just getting up to speed then letting the CRV coast or apply so little throttle that it maintains its speed.

5. AC not as cold in Econ then normal range.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm leaning towards 50/50. The salesman talked me into trying it out. Left it on for a couple of days, including the freeway drive home from San Diego. We did notice the mpg go up noticeably on the vid screen on the way back down to San Diego the second time we took it down there. I'm not a fan of the short shifting and my brother has also suggested it may not be the best thing for the rod bearings. Around town I like a little more lively throttle pickup so will be leaving it off, at least when I drive it. My wife may or may not, I don't know. Either way we will enjoy the gas mileage since it's so much better than the Mustang she had before (read that as 13mpg IF we were lucky, and no, it wasn't a V-8).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm curious to try it out with it on the entire time for one gas tank and off the entire time for another gas tank.. driving my usual routes to and from work. Has anyone done this comparison?

I'll post the results when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's actually what I am doing over the next two weeks. This week it's been off the whole time. So far I'm averaging 27.5mpg city/highway driving with my usual commute to work. Next week I'll keep it on the whole time on a new tank of gas and will see how it goes. I'll make it a point to drive in the same manner as I am this week.

Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had ECON since my '13 was new, my only complaint is the AC, so I turn ECON off on hot days.

Other than that, I've gotten used to the way that the throttle response feels, so when I turn it off, it seems too eager to accelerate, which is something I need to get used to.

In terms of MPG, it seems the same with or without, around 28 combined.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'll be interested in your results jmaui.
I found that the cruise control is really pretty accurate on the level, but leaves a lot to be desired when hills are involved.
I do find the cruise to be more stable than my '11 Accord V-6 coupe. It'll vary +/-2 mph on slight inclines whereas the CR-V will hold a rock solid speed. I think it's due to the engine management system of the V-6. Running on 3 cylinders is not conducive to climbing hills, even small ones.
I think if you know your route well enough you should be able to get the same results without the eco button, but it'll take practice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm curious to try it out with it on the entire time for one gas tank and off the entire time for another gas tank.. driving my usual routes to and from work. Has anyone done this comparison?

I'll post the results when I get it done.
As I have a diesel CRV and get results like this: Link

I drive with the ECON button on all the time.

On the motorway, I regularly get around 59-65mpg, depending on traffic etc. Around town, I can get 40-45mpg depending on how hard I plant my foot etc. When I first had the CRV in late May this year, I drove for a few weeks with the ECON button off. The car is a lot more spritely with it off, but was still geting roughly 50-55mpg on the motorway and about 38-42mpg around town.

I suspect the savings depend not just on the ECON mode being active but also how you drive. Such a shame you guys in the USA do not get the 2.2 I-DTEC engine - its the best I've known and doesnt need to fudge figures the way some of the stupid car makers here in Europe do.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
29 Posts
I turned the econ button on when I drove it off the dealers lot in March, and have not turned it off.
I also pushed a trip button with the average mpg.
I now have 5225 miles on my 2013 crv and the average mpg is 25 mpg
My driving is a lot of city stop and go, living in the Los Angeles area, when I get on the freeway or on a trip the mileage really jumps to the good side.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
As I have a diesel CRV. Such a shame you guys in the USA do not get the 2.2 I-DTEC engine - its the best .
I wish we had them here in Canada too! I bet sales would triple!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just finishing up week 1 of my 2 week experiment of a week with econ off and a week with econ on. With econ off I averaged 27.5 mpg. I'll put econ on all the time for next week as my routine/commute will be the same as will my driving style.

I can't see mpg getting that much better with econ on but we'll see how it goes. This is a mix of city/highway driving.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just completed a down 'n back trip to San Diego to see the kids today.
Computer showed 31 mpg when we got there and 32.1 when we got home.
Eco button on most of the time, as well as cruise control, no A/C this time as it wasn't needed, it was a nice day.
Trip down was one of our better ones as we didn't hit any stop 'n go traffic which is not usually the case lately.
Coming home tonight was almost the same except for keeping the cruise set a little faster (+2mph) and hitting the inspection station on I-5 which was flashing red lights but had no stop signs out so we slowed but didn't stop. Traffic from there on wasn't conducive to cruise control as everyone was busy trying to make up time which just slowed everyone down.
All in all a good trip and I'm happy with the way the CR is performing. Just a little over 1100 miles showing on the odo now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts