Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What really happens when the ECON is engaged... meaning ON and the green leaf is on...
another owner said when ECON is OFF the car is in AWD; when ECON is ON the car is in 2 W drive, which explains better fuel mileage... doesn't really sound correct, but they insist that is what Honda told them when they bought their CRV... and we really don't know what happens internally to the car when ECON is ON... thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
My understanding is that you will effectively operate on one less cylinder in the Econ mode, thus saving gas. The AWD drive functions separately.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't thing ECON has anything to do with the AWD system. The AWD kicks in whenever it senses slippage of the front wheels and that's happens quite often where I live with lots of snow. I find the CRV pickup much faster and more responsive when you accelerate with ECON off. The revs tends to stay higher before up shifting which cause you to use more gas.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There is no cylinder deactivation in the 4 cylinder CRV. I believe its only available for V6 Hondas like accord and pilot. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. This engine runs on all four cylinders all of the time. And we are glad.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The explanations are good and correct: no influence on AWD, no cylinder deactivation.

What I've noticed from an operator's viewpoint is:

1) generally numbed throttle response
2) a/c will generally operate in "recirculation" mode
3) when using cruise control the car will not try quite so hard to maintain speed on inclines
4) when using the "resume" function on cruise control, acceleration will be much more leisurely

Personally, I leave "Econ" off in the city driving but use it on the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts