Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea if anyone will attempt to build an ECU flash for the 1.5 T engine? AWD?

I've seen the flashpro civic here in canada, with stock internals, and a KNN drop in filter, there's a definite difference.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Search hondata on YouTube, their is a video by hondaprojason on civic.
Ecu flash is mainly for performance, don't know if it can be used for mpg. Also It may void warranty if something goes wrong with ecu related thing.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Given the sales volume of the car, and the similarities to the Civic, I imagine somebody, at some point, will develop a tune. But none exist as of yet, and it would be a bad idea to use a Civic tune, if it would even work. (The CR-V has a different intake, different compression ratio, and different exhaust turbine vs. the Civic.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought I saw on another forum that HOndata was doing some preliminary testing on the CRV. Shouldnt be too difficult, though I doubt there will be much demand for tuning with the CRV's target demographic, so probably not much of a priority for tuners.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Totally pointless. Why would they develop something like this when there is no market for it? Most people that buy these cars are in their 60s. Highly doubt they want to be fiddling around with their for some extra HP. Go buy an Acura/Lexus if you want more power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I for one would love an ecu flash, I couldn't live without it in my Evo or my TDI. The mpg won't go down unless you floor it full throttle, perhaps there are even some gains to be had depending how rich the stock tune is. Given the large intercooler and an essentially identical Civic engine, I would suspect you can gain at least 45 ft lbs of torque, which would definitely be noticeable on freeway entrance ramps when you're trying to get by a Prius... The only unknown for me would be the CVT, which traditionally does not deal with high torque well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the stock maps are rich there may be some room to get better fuel economy, but likely not much. I'm not sure it's the same turbocharger as the civic, if it's similar I'd expect 30-35 ft lbs of torque gain with just a flash, which would definitely be noticeable getting on the highway, with minimal effect on average fuel economy. I'd definitely be interested! The only downside would be the probable requirement for high octane fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why would so many want to void their powertrain warrany? A tune certainly would do that. I have a WRX, and was willling to take that chance, but on an SUV?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why would so many want to void their powertrain warrany? A tune certainly would do that. I have a WRX, and was willling to take that chance, but on an SUV?
Agree 100%. It's an SUV for goodness sake's. I get on the freeway and able to pass other vehicles just fine for what I have. I guess you have to look at the age of the person that wants to do this. Specially if these cars are re-sold again, I would not want to be the person that would buy it, knowing that it was altered.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not purely for performance reasons. Drivability can be improved and other events can be addressed which were all done in the name of mpg.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not purely for performance reasons. Drivability can be improved and other events can be addressed which were all done in the name of mpg.....
I understand. Certainly Honda would not tune the CRV for maximum power and performance from the factory. However, why would they not tune it as close as possible for "driveibilty" and MPG? And again, how much more driveibilty and MPG is worth loss of your power train warranty on a new vehicle?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I understand. Certainly Honda would not tune the CRV for maximum power and performance from the factory. However, why would they not tune it as close as possible for "driveibilty" and MPG? And again, how much more driveibilty and MPG is worth loss of your power train warranty on a new vehicle?
Honda's CR-V powertrain engineering team probably left 20-40 hp, 5 mpg, 10% wider power band, and 50,000 miles of CVT reliability on the table with the stock tune. I mean, why would they have optimized it for the best overall combination of those elements right out of the factory? Would they have put in hundreds of thousands of test miles and thousands of hours of analysis to provide optimal mix from the factory? Nah. They probably got 80% of the way there and decided to go home and crack open some beers. Why push the envelope, they said. Good enough, why bother. Leave some low hanging fruit for the aftermarket guys to make a few bucks. The Honda engineers are probably hacks anyway.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts