Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Effects of having Oil Dilution Software Update applied?

• Increased gas mileage and decreased performance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decreased gas mileage and increased performance

• No effect on gas mileage and increased performance

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets change the meaning of the last the poll question

On 11/14/18 I read the Genesis post stating that his FIX did not stop oil dilution.
Since the Genesis vote in this poll was for No effect on gas mileage and no effect on performance

Since I can't change the question on the poll.
Lets change the meaning of the last poll question:
from
No effect on gas mileage and no effect on performance
to
No, the FIX did not eliminate the oil dilution problem

I live in an area with temperatures that seldom go below zero Fahrenheit but I do have the oil dilution problem year round. But since I live in Pennsylvania, I probably won’t be able to get either TSB-114 or TSB-124 installed until January at the earliest.

I doubt that the A/C Control Unit Replacement will have any effect on gas mileage or performance so whether or not that was also replaced probably only effects your comfort.

So I, and maybe others, would be interested in knowing what type of effect having either of these TSBs’ Oil Dilution Software Update applied has had on your gas mileage and/or performance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you joined the Facebook group for the Gen 5? Lots of chatter about the fix and results. Nothing so far in oil dilution since it's too soon to tell. Some feel like the heat is better and some do not. So, the speculation continues...

For what it's worth, the FB group for some reason is much more subdued on the banter with just more facts.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Facebook group.
As far as I know you are allowed to reply to Poll Threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Following this thread... real curious what the software "fix" does... are they doing what the HondaTune / KTuner guys do and just making it burn hotter/faster whatever so it burns away more fuel? I'm seeing reports of people saying they drive their 17/18 CRV hard/fast or long distances and don't have the oil dilution issue, but those that do more shorter grocery-store runs have the problem. This is all hearsay from comments. I drive "average" commuting 60-90 min each day with mostly 70% highway, 30% city, and I definitely have the oil dilution issue, only getting 24MPG. 2018 EX-L AWD.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you joined the Facebook group for the Gen 5? Lots of chatter about the fix and results. Nothing so far in oil dilution since it's too soon to tell. Some feel like the heat is better and some do not. So, the speculation continues...

For what it's worth, the FB group for some reason is much more subdued on the banter with just more facts.
You must be looking at a different face book group then I did. I felt it was lacking in facts.. But it is the internet, it must be true.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's a bit odd to have a closed FB group unless the goal is to keep gen 5 crv issues secret from the public.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,538 Posts
It's a bit odd to have a closed FB group unless the goal is to keep gen 5 crv issues secret from the public.
a Closed FB group helps prevent SPAMMING since approval is needed to join.

One of the marque groups I belong to doesn't allow membership unless they post a picture of their car within two weeks!

(Is az_crv ANOTHER conspiracy theorist????) LOL

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You must be looking at a different face book group then I did. I felt it was lacking in facts.. But it is the internet, it must be true.
Yeah I tried to provide facts many times in there. You tend to get the mix of people that had real issues coming in and blowing the threads up.

I think the hardest part has been the older generation of owners that literally have no clue about direct injection and have a strong sense of entitlement because they spent money on a car that isn't actually expensive.

So many people forget that the CRV barely meets the average vehicle price.

·
Registered
980 Posts
a Closed FB group helps prevent SPAMMING since approval is needed to join.

One of the marque groups I belong to doesn't allow membership unless they post a picture of their car within two weeks!

(Is az_crv ANOTHER conspiracy theorist????) LOL
There's several reasons I don't have a FB account and that ain't one of them. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
The poll answers are very complete and various.

In this case, would the Mods please shut down all comments and just let the poll run?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

In this case, would the Mods please shut down all comments and just let the poll run?
The problem with shutting down comments is that this poll will fall off the bottom.

Unless it is designated as a sticky. Hint,hint.
:applause:

·
Registered
980 Posts

Each page has the poll at the top so you don't have to worry about or even read the comments.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Also, the answers are not inclusive. How do you rate performance? Seat of the pants? What were the driving conditions? Weather conditions? Maybe some would want to chart details like before and after results. I totally miss the benefit of eliminating comments.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The thread will continue in the usual manner as intended. Most of us would like to contribute and stay tuned to further our understanding of this issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Indeed it will be interesting. So far, I haven't seen a problem (South Florida, 3 months, 1400 miles '18 Touring). But I do get 26+ mpg (calculated, not read from the dash) with 90% suburban (non-highway) driving. So if any of my gas is going into the sump, the mpg should be quite impressive if that gas instead goes where it should.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the oil dilution problem. I drove for 2 hours & when I got home, checked oil & it was about 1/2 quart overfilled with gas!! It was about 60 degrees F outside!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have the oil dilution problem. I drove for 2 hours & when I got home, checked oil & it was about 1/2 quart overfilled with gas!! It was about 60 degrees F outside!!
I read all your old posts.. It would probably be easier for you to post all the good things about your cr-v. It would be a shorter list.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts