Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! First time poster. And first time owner of a Honda! Bought a new 2018 CRV EXL back in April. Got a Thinkware F770 kit shortly afterwards for it. Spent some time researching how to best connect it and never did find definitive information on where to make the electrical connections. I can at least report what worked for me, and maybe it will help someone else. The hardwire kit had power wires for "Battery" and "Acc" - Battery being powered on all the time and Acc only powered on while the car is running. I went through several combinations before I found one that worked. I'm sure there are many variations, but I know for sure this one works. I used the fuse taps like everyone else. I tapped into the fuses under the driver-side dash. For the "Acc" connection, I tapped into circuit "5" which is labeled in the manual as "Option - 10A". For the "Battery", I tapped into circuit "h" which is in the panel to the right of the main fuse panel. It is labeled as "Accessory Power Socket (Cargo Area) - 20A", although it didn't have a fuse installed. The *4 tag on the description says it is for Canadian models only. I used it, and it seems to work. When I start up, the F770 says "Now Recording" like it should. When I turn off, after 30 seconds it says "Entering Parking Mode" like it should. I feel much safer now with the dashcam in place!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the info. How/where did you route (hide) the wires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and thanks for the info. How/where did you route (hide) the wires?
Dashcam mounted below the front sensor camera and slightly to the driver side. Cables ran up along side of that front sensor panel, then tucked just under the front of the headliner over to the driver side pillar, then just under the edge of the pillar out to the door molding. The power cable tucked under the edge of the molding down to the lower part of the driver side dash. I did loosen the side cover on the dash to make it easier to get the cable down through there - pulled the lower part of the dash out slightly, then there were 2 screws holding that side panel. Taking out the screws let it tilt outwards just enough to let the cable down through. I didn't want to take it off entirely because I wasn't sure I would be able to get it back under the door molding. The fuse box was right there. The rear cable went just under the door molding to the top of the center pillar, then just under the center pillar cover, then under the molding for the rear door, then under the cover over the rear side window to the rear hatch door. I pulled off the panel from the rear of the ceiling next to the hatch, and the panel at the top of the hatch to help feed the rear cable through that area. I pulled off both ends of the rubber boot that runs between the body and hatch on the driver side. I used a large zip tie and some soapy water to pull the cable through that boot - was tricky but it worked (good thing it was 90+ degrees out). Rear camera mounted in the center between the top two defroster lines. I wound up the extra cable to the center of the ceiling, wrapped in a thin piece of foam, and push it into the gap between the headliner and the roof - just enough space for it. It's only been a few days. Time will tell how well the cables stay put. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the installation. I should add that my son has done at least 6 of these installations over the last year, for himself and for other family. He pointed out what path would work best (and it did). Also, he brought a toolkit of tools used for lifting and pulling the body panels and moldings. The tools are plastic with thin edges so they can easily slip under the panel edges without making any marks. The name on them is "ABN - AUTOBADYNOW / 5 piece fastener and molding remover set" - highly recommended!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow-up to my original post - after 2 weeks of running, I am happy to report there have been no problems with the dashcam. Power connections are good. No complaints from those sensors in the top of the windshield about not being able to "see", none of the hidden wires have popped out, and there are no rattles. All good! Hopefully I will never need any of the video it captures!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just a follow-up to my original post - after 2 weeks of running, I am happy to report there have been no problems with the dashcam. Power connections are good. No complaints from those sensors in the top of the windshield about not being able to "see", none of the hidden wires have popped out, and there are no rattles. All good! Hopefully I will never need any of the video it captures!
Thanks for the follow-up, and glad to hear!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
I run a dashcam in both SUV's and they are great .......had a he said and they said incident...after cop arrive I said I have a dashcam......they said outlook on things changed and admitted to being at fault...they saids insurance paid for every thing....didnt even have to check the dash cam....lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run a dashcam in both SUV's and they are great .......had a he said and they said incident...after cop arrive I said I have a dashcam......they said outlook on things changed and admitted to being at fault...they saids insurance paid for every thing....didnt even have to check the dash cam....lol
Exactly! Three years ago my 20-yo son had a car back out into the road in front of him. He didn't have time to stop and rear-ended her. (He wasn't on his phone either - I checked!) No witnesses, he said/she said situation. Relatively minor damage to the cars. Both drove away. No big deal, right? Two years later he gets served with court papers for personal injury. She ended up being awarded a settlement, granted not a very large one, but still. Had we had dashcam video, this wouldn't have happened. All 3 of my boys now have them in their cars, plus this one in my CRV. So far, I've only used mine to help other people involved in accidents - nothing provides the truth better than a video of it. I hope I never need it for myself, but if I do, I will have it!

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,138 Posts
can you come over and install for me? :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
can you come over and install for me? :)
mine just plugs into the 12volt opening on console....hid the wires almost same as the OP.....only difference is mine is a low cost one that only work when SUV is on....doesn't help if someone hits ya while your parked though?...about a 5 minute install.....the better quality ones are a better choice if ya can afford it

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,679 Posts
Exactly! Three years ago my 20-yo son had a car back out into the road in front of him. He didn't have time to stop and rear-ended her. (He wasn't on his phone either - I checked!) No witnesses, he said/she said situation. Relatively minor damage to the cars. Both drove away. No big deal, right? Two years later he gets served with court papers for personal injury. She ended up being awarded a settlement, granted not a very large one, but still. Had we had dashcam video, this wouldn't have happened. All 3 of my boys now have them in their cars, plus this one in my CRV. So far, I've only used mine to help other people involved in accidents - nothing provides the truth better than a video of it. I hope I never need it for myself, but if I do, I will have it!
While I am NOT a lawyer, my understanding is that your son was probably at fault, regardless of what having a dash cam might have shown, as the law affirms that you need to drive to be able to avoid an accident. If someone suddenly stops in front of you, and you rear-end them, you were following too close or driving too fast. I would think that the same applies to scenario you mentioned. I doubt a dash cam would have changed the outcome. Just my opinion.

I'm not arguing about the use of dashcams, just that video from them may not provide all that users expect in every situation.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

I’ve had ours in our CRV for about a month, already caught two videos of people cutting across 3/4 lanes and almost killing me lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm researching dash cams with parking mode (my current one is very basic and older) and I see some come with a OBD cable that plugs into the OBD slot to deliver power and somehow not run down your battery even if left for days? Is this a new better way for power delivery and how does plugging into that slot stop battery drain?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts