Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned this 2016 since July 27th of 2019. We didn't want AWD and had trouble finding one with FW. No bells and whistles. My gut told me to get an extra warranty for the Drivetrain. $1400 additional for coverage to 65K. We were "taken".( I have since learned it would have been covered for Drivetrain until 60K under the original!) It was used with 27K on it. Our first mistake was purchasing at a Acura Dealer. Turns out it had been on their lot since May of '19. We also traded a Civic in to purchase, which had been purchased new. Never any issues until trade with 62K on it.The Dealer gave us Carfax for accidents, but no Service records. If we had seen those, I would have really wondered why the original owner got rid of it...After purchase I paid for Carfax again....learned that hardly any maintenance had been done. Too late. I tracked down where it was purchased and they never saw it for maintenance! It was serviced twice at some quick Oil and Lube shop. Period. The Dealer put the cheapest Yokahama tires available on it for sale.. They are horrible! It takes nothing for the skid lights to come on, on only slightly wet roads. Forget fast stops.

Then the real troubles began. The radio CD Player died. It was replaced by the nearest Honda Dealership under warranty. Other things started happening. The tire pressure gage did not come on for the front tires. I could see looking at them that they were low. It turned out they were @ 27lbs pressure!
Then we got into Winter here. (TN.))The sprayer nozzle for windshield solvent froze and won't work if it freezes.. The heat will not come up after idling. We live in the South. What would this be doing up north?(Yes, I know, 2.4 liter engine takes longer ...) My husband heads to work and has to be driving for 6 minutes to get heat up.

Someone on this site related the heat issue to "Shutters". I called Honda and they said they never heard about "shutters". Suggested the heater core may need to be flushed...(?) Now here on this site, I also see that heating issues are typical on fourth generation CR-V's?? Which means forget any help. So we are stuck with this SUV due to being upside down big-time after adding the warranty to payments? There is no relief I can see coming. I would get rid of it and get a new one otherwise. I also really question CVT's period. Time will tell as to their longevity. I am afraid Hondas ( which I have purchased for 33 years as a loyal repeat customer ( 5) are not what they once were. This is very sad. How we wish we had our old regular transmission back.

Moral of the story is : Buyer beware for sure. I wish I could we could get rid of it tomorrow. Instead, I am bringing it in, in the next week to the Honda Service Dept and having all issues addressed. The list is longer the longer we own it. And we are only @ 32K. It will cost us at least $350 to find out what MAY be covered. Then I will have to argue with the Acura Dealer who sold it to us, and get repairs done under that warranty. As said, very very sad....
If anyone has answers to this mess, I sure would like to hear them. Our only hope is to pay it down enough to get out of it before more trouble.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure what type of washer solvent you're using but maybe you should switch to the RainX brand that's orange as it's good till below 20 degrees or better yet, maybe the purple one that's good to 30 below. I had that issue a few weeks ago where i didn't realize i still had some summer green bug juice in my tank and lines still and it froze up on me. So... I just left it for a few days and when it got warmer it started spraying again and i emptied my tank and lines out refilling with the proper stuff for the season.

I don't know what year model you own but i've got a 2015 EX with AWD and that doesn't actually have TPMS sensors in each wheel; it's calculated off of wheel speed from the ABS sensor mounted in the knuckle where the wheel bearing is. I'll be honest and i was neglecting inspecting my tires so when i did check the tire pressure, they were at 22 pounds instead of in the lower 30 range like i like it. Since i had the air compressor on and pumping, i checked everyone's else 's tire pressure too. The warm and cold weather great impacts your tire pressure so that's something you as an owner should be checking frequently just like the engine oil.

As for the heater, i've got a 2.4liter also and on mornings that are in the low 30s and mid 20s, i start the engine early allowing it to warm up before hopping in. I use the seat warmer because it's bloody cold out. I've noticed that on super cold days and i'm driving with the blower motor on full blast, i'll notice my temp gauge go down so now i don't do that anymore. I just drive with it basically two clicks to the right of the off position. It seems like the colder it is outside and the faster i have the blower motor going, it's cooling off the coolant cycling around my engine and heating system.

Follow some of these tips i've suggested and see if things improve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts