Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find any posts as regards a parking brake issue, hence this new thread. I have owned the 1.5 turbo manual AWD CR-V for about 6 months now (UK), and besides the touch screen issue have had no other issues so far. My driveway is on a slight downward incline, as I reverse out on a slight uphill tilt, the handbrake releases as usual making the motorised noise, the parking brake light goes off but the car makes a grinding noise and does not move until I apply the throttle more enthusiastically and then the car suddenly gives way and then drives smoothly without any problems. My daily drive is about 20 miles one way. No obvious rusting on the discs. The mileage is 4000 miles. On the flat there is no issue with the parking brake release mechanism.

I will report this to the dealership, but have lost faith in the local dealer here with how they handled the sale and the infotainment warranty issue. I thought I will explore this here if anybody else has had issues with the electronic parking brake.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know if its related but personally, when I park, specially in an incline, I would put it in neutral then activate the parking brake (while pressing the foot brake), I do this in all my cars, then move to park. In my mind, this is to ensure the transmission is in no way holding the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hill start assist used to hold my car from going forwards for a second or two, until I got to release the pressure on the brake foot pedal, engage the clutch and press the accelerator. But here the effect has been a more of a grinding/binding sensation that gives way after a hard press on the accelerator. Perhaps the brakes binding? rust. Does not happen when I move forward on level after handbrake release. Possibly could be the hill start assist trying to overassist?

Even after 4000 miles I have not yet developed a liking for the electronic parking brake, do not know what was wrong with the tried and tested manual hand parking brake, no complex electronics there to go wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Incredibly, an electronic parking brake is easier to implement, less complicated, and more reliable than the cable kind. (With rear discs, the p-brake needs to either be a miniature drum brake inside the hub, or involve a complicated mechanism inside the caliper.) Not to mntion cables stretching or rusting.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like the E-Brake a lot more than the old mechanical ones but I am worried about how durable they are in the long term and what is the replacement cost like. I will be watching to see if more people start having issues.

Reactions: gasman29

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if its related but personally, when I park, specially in an incline, I would put it in neutral then activate the parking brake (while pressing the foot brake), I do this in all my cars, then move to park. In my mind, this is to ensure the transmission is in no way holding the car.
The method for incline parking that I have used for decades after being informed by a friend who drove heavy military equipment:
  • Leave tranny in whatever gear you're in when you stop
  • Put foot firmly on Brake pedal
  • Fully engage Parking brake
  • Shift tranny to Park
  • Release Brake pedal, and it will hold perfectly
I have never had a car roll, jerk, or budge at all with this method, no matter what brand vehicle I'm driving.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
Hill start assist used to hold my car from going forwards for a second or two, until I got to release the pressure on the brake foot pedal, engage the clutch and press the accelerator. But here the effect has been a more of a grinding/binding sensation that gives way after a hard press on the accelerator. Perhaps the brakes binding? rust. Does not happen when I move forward on level after handbrake release. Possibly could be the hill start assist trying to overassist?

Even after 4000 miles I have not yet developed a liking for the electronic parking brake, do not know what was wrong with the tried and tested manual hand parking brake, no complex electronics there to go wrong.

Thanks
Just to let you know hill start assist works two way. If you are in drive going up hill it is active. Also if you are in reverse backing up a hill it's active.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts